Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sith height comparisons.
43520BE5-B770-4AB3-B3D0-507011733372.jpg

I tried to fix vertical distortion (Wall lines are not straight in the original photo).
I left the corrected parts in red so you can see the distortion amount. Not much difference.

Başlıksız-1.jpg

Quick pics just out of the box. Lightly futzed and the head is slightly raised.

View attachment 466863

What's your overall impression? I look at this photo and it looks comparable to your shots of the Sideshow which sold me on needing that figure. The main differences I spot are the better lightsaber, different boots and an alternate head, the overall figure doesn't look to me all that different or enhanced over the Sideshow, but decent prices on parts of this Maul almost make him as expensive as getting the whole thing.

What's your overall impression? I look at this photo and it looks comparable to your shots of the Sideshow which sold me on needing that figure. The main differences I spot are the better lightsaber, different boots and an alternate head, the overall figure doesn't look to me all that different or enhanced over the Sideshow, but decent prices on parts of this Maul almost make him as expensive as getting the whole thing.

HT Maul is overall a better figure. I wouldn’t have thought that just by pics alone but having him in hand and looking at them side by side I have a clear preference and it’s HT’s.

HT falls short in the shade of red used, less aggressive appearance of the facial expression and slightly too large pupils compared to Sideshow and a sculpt that sits about 1/16” lower than it should.

SS lacks in tailoring and quality of clothes, overall proportions and size which give it a less “realistic” look next to HT Maul and lack of PERS which really adds to the HT figure.

While SS has those shortcomings compared to HT it really doesn’t detract much from how awesome he looks as a stand alone figure on the shelf. If I hadn’t got HT Maul I’d still be happy with just having the SS version as my only Maul.

That being said, now that I have both HT draws my attention more simply because it looks more realistic on the shelf. He’s also a lot more fun to play with because of the PERS and how the head/neck joint was done. IMO had HT reduced the size of the pupils a smidge, given him a slightly taller neck and made the red a shade brighter it would have easily been a 10/10 figure.

The one thing I’m working on doing is adding a little height to the neck/head joint. Doing that will improve it immensely I think.

72F555BD-8668-4DD2-B036-4F5A8A59F356.jpeg

I unboxed mine yesterday and yeah he looks like he's a got his shoulders hunched up a little bit. Raising the head would help; how are you going about it? I was just going to do something simple and stick something under the neck piece so it doesn't shove all the way down.

HT Maul is overall a better figure. I wouldn’t have thought that just by pics alone but having him in hand and looking at them side by side I have a clear preference and it’s HT’s.

HT falls short in the shade of red used, less aggressive appearance of the facial expression and slightly too large pupils compared to Sideshow and a sculpt that sits about 1/16” lower than it should.

SS lacks in tailoring and quality of clothes, overall proportions and size which give it a less “realistic” look next to HT Maul and lack of PERS which really adds to the HT figure.

While SS has those shortcomings compared to HT it really doesn’t detract much from how awesome he looks as a stand alone figure on the shelf. If I hadn’t got HT Maul I’d still be happy with just having the SS version as my only Maul.

That being said, now that I have both HT draws my attention more simply because it looks more realistic on the shelf. He’s also a lot more fun to play with because of the PERS and how the head/neck joint was done. IMO had HT reduced the size of the pupils a smidge, given him a slightly taller neck and made the red a shade brighter it would have easily been a 10/10 figure.

The one thing I’m working on doing is adding a little height to the neck/head joint. Doing that will improve it immensely I think.

Excellent review! :clap

Great pic and review Cocoboloboy. Contemplating picking this one up or ESB Boba Fett. What's the consensus?

I unboxed mine yesterday and yeah he looks like he's a got his shoulders hunched up a little bit. Raising the head would help; how are you going about it? I was just going to do something simple and stick something under the neck piece so it doesn't shove all the way down.

For the pic I just folded a piece of paper and put it in between the neck and sculpt. It weakens the magnetic bond too much so I’ll be getting some of that thin, cut able, magnet material and trimming a piece to fit in there. That way it will retain its magnetic hold...I hope. :)

Excellent review! :clap

Great pic and review Cocoboloboy. Contemplating picking this one up or ESB Boba Fett. What's the consensus?

Thanks, guys!

Just got mine today from SS. Great piece. Glad I got it. Here are a few comparison shots of the differences between it and the SS version and the Hasbro speeder.
270cd4e9995f68a5b5fe47018418d719.jpg

826bbe5dfac686dd443a1e0776caa46d.jpg

d6931cfe898331f10768b42f0da1b6b5.jpg

7c579c1d0f98677951a8ce24d21b13a6.jpg

a82f99cd1a483e4fc2ad6617411c4af0.jpg

6ba5393ce2f4ac772e9a6b45ad704fda.jpg

96b6d5facf66708501587ed8bc6c6e20.jpg

92502e0a5db73afca43a376c838792b6.jpg

85c63cbf1597ff8ae90c621ac9dc609a.jpg

da6770dfdb455a2cb50efa56490c1028.jpg

02be58213aa6ec66107d6a1f65e2acc5.jpg

a269e1fa6ff3d1ca18088e51da0f8d01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the clear pole supposed to be all wobbly in the stand? It's snug in the speeder but tilts around in the stand.

Here’s my permanent but easily removeable stubby neck fix.

STOCK

435EC67C-D83D-454B-96CB-6A5C8293AA79.jpeg

FIXED

9C383154-B059-4970-8FD6-664229CFC941.jpeg

Small rare earth magnet installed on the neck. It doesn’t affect articulation at all.

BF46074F-C71D-48C0-840E-17B1E1C1A3F8.jpeg

Back