Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is surprising that with a figure where HT could have shine one of the features they do best, realistic human skin, their Maul has the finish quality of an Applause piece with just better color choices and more realistic facial features.

This pose though

MAUL.jpg

Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm just now noticing how smooth the face looks. Could break the figure for me. 30 day return policy.

My little review:

I didn't have any major QC issues like you guys did. Sorry to hear about that.

Tilting the eyes up is a MUST and it's something I mention in the review as I'm playing with the likeness.

If the video doesn't work just check back later. It seems to always take a little while longer when I embed in the forums but here is a direct link:

https://youtu.be/VQqQJUdLIB8

Cool review. Also love the idea of having all the accessories in boxes like that. Far easier than finding, then opening up the boxes etc. What brand are those PC tower organiser boxes ? Would like to see if I could also get one.

The skin texture is really somewhat smoothed compared to promo photos. Especially red parts - feel like wax or plastic. Here's a photo of mine, hope it helps
SRdU2W0.jpg

1ZydH2z.jpg

I have this and the SSC version. The Ss headsculpt is hands down the better of the versions. It’s looks far more realistic and the skin texture is spot on. However the HT version definitely has the edge where the soft goods are concerned.

I’m still seeing the head sitting a little too low on the neck? Looking like he’s shrugging his shoulders.
Ultimately I’d have liked my collection to be predominantly Hot Toys, but there’s something very off about the sculpt I don’t like and I believe HT could have done far better, especially in the DX line. As mentioned before the accessories and soft goods are top notch, but his face has to sell it to me and this is where the Sideshow Maul has the edge.

Nice shots in here already! I’m seriously enjoying this figure. Man there’s so many ways to pose and display him. Great articulation and the dynamic stand allows for cool poses. Here’s an outdoor shot for me to contribute:

496a453bb3710a32124088e40f9b5d06.jpg

Back