Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skin does look very smooth.

I was using a phone camera and the lighting was awful, and those were major contributing factors. That said, his skin is smoother than I'd like... Has almost a waxy quality to it.

The biggest problem I had was getting the eyes in a position that made the likeness work. Those pictures look like Maul to me. Unfortunately I still don't think they much look like Ray Park as Maul. To me this figure seems more like an expanded universe Maul.

This figure is making me want to get Qui-Gon too. But here’s one with Anakin:

79076bba110ba66323006c9443cd5e72.jpg

Got mine today- no time to open it up and do a full set up. It was back to school for me today.
Anyway, I'm afraid to open it with all these waxy smooth pics coming in anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 246
I know it’s still early going here but has anyone put the SS head on this Maul? Does it fit?

No chance, the DX comes with a new body with a magnetic neck rounded at the top. It works well but a nightmare for kitbashing. I want to use the snarling head with the old V1 Sideshow outfit that I ported over to a true type. I'm looking into solutions right now. Probably won't be perfect but I think I can attach a button magnet to standard neck peg with decent result but I don't have the right size magnet on hand.

No chance, the DX comes with a new body with a magnetic neck rounded at the top. It works well but a nightmare for kitbashing. I want to use the snarling head with the old V1 Sideshow outfit that I ported over to a true type. I'm looking into solutions right now. Probably won't be perfect but I think I can attach a button magnet to standard neck peg with decent result but I don't have the right size magnet on hand.

Good idea! I guess it's just a matter of whether the head fits around the neck socket for starters (and doesn't have huge gaps), after that some customizing sounds like it would be in order. Not sure it's worth it but normally (when a new magnetic head/neck combo isn't involved) that type of thing is par for the course.

Last edited:
The skin texture isn't bad in hand. What I don't like is the skin tone. It seems too dark of a red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Good idea! I guess it's just a matter of whether the head fits around the neck socket for starters (and doesn't have huge gaps), after that some customizing sounds like it's it would be in order. Not sure it's worth it but normally (when a new magnetic head/neck combo isn't involved) that type of thing is par for the course.

A standard neck peg fits loosely inside the head. I added padding inside the sculpt so it will rest appropriately on the neck instead of completely sinking in and covering the entire neck. That is only a temporary fix though as the head is just sitting on there loose but I think a magnet glued on the neck peg in the right spot might work well.

For one of the casual Peter sets available on OSK, they're including a magnet to pop into the ganghood body they use so you can use the magnetic Peter heads. So you can probably find a big enough magnet to make it work.

I've been considering cancelling this for the past few months.

Firstly, I don't know why I ordered the edition with the silly scooter.

Secondly, I have the superior looking Sideshow 2.0 (1st batch).

Thirdly, the HT Solo Maul looks a better figure from a proper Star Wars film, and represents a more classic timeline.

Whats the point of contemplating..just go ahead and cancel it already for god's sake :dunno

I already did, before I posted.

Unlike some knee jerks I don't rush to cancel something at the first sign of trouble, but wait for more photos and opinions. I rarely cancel anything, but there sometimes comes the point when I know it'll be yet another figure rather than something I'm actually looking forward to.

Who'd have believed that the Sideshow would be better? With the news that Sideshow lost the Star Wars licence last December, it's pretty ironic.

I can see why you're mad though.

Im getting sick of those keep bragging their SS Maul is far more "accurate & superior", there has been already a SS thread outthere dedicated solely for your fanclub.

"SS/superior"... these two simply do not co-exist together.

Ss is better by a landslide.

Im not mad over a dolly though. Its just hilarious you're using that diatribe against the film as the justification of thinking not buying HT Maul, even though you're already extremely satisfied with SS Maul, because you used the word "superior" (1). Furthermore, your deliniation of the Maul's bike was "silly", probably stupid looking piece of plastic to your eyes also (2). The first and foremost, Solo was clearly a better film than TPM from your perspective, and it seems mechanical-legged chubby Maul would be a wiser investment than this piece of chunk (3)

(1) (2) (3) > cancel TPM Maul would be an excellent choice :woo.

Im not trying to be a jerk here seriously. Im just trying to help to facilitate the progress of making executive decision much more smoothly :).

Back