Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still leaning a bit more towards the greater detail of the HT figure over the better likeness of the Sideshow... but I can definitely understand those who'd prefer the latter.

Of course it probably helps that this is one character I'm content having more of a "representation" of, than someone like Vader who I'd want to be as accurate as possible, given that the prequels aren't something I care nearly as much about.

I'm still leaning a bit more towards the greater detail of the HT figure over the better likeness of the Sideshow... but I can definitely understand those who'd prefer the latter.

Of course it probably helps that this is one character I'm content having more of a "representation" of, than someone like Vader who I'd want to be as accurate as possible, given that the prequels aren't something I care nearly as much about.

I had the SS for a bit and it's an excellent figure but sold it as it didn't really fit with my collection. Am very tempted to check out the Hot Toys figure. Has a lot going on with the accessories, PERS, etc. Nice to have a couple good options.

The biggest issue for me isn't the sculpt right now, but the bulky torso and short neck. But I suspect those will be easy enough to remedy, just like it was with Jedi Luke. That figure looked very different once you thinned down the outfit and lengthened the neck, and I have a feeling the same will be true of this.

I’m just going to do both. I have SS v2 and was going to sell but not now. I watched another review that really spent a lot of time comparing and I do like the SS sculpt better but the HT paint is so nice and crisp. I think I’ll put SS on bike and have HT fighting qui gon. May change but I think there is room for both.

By the way folks like I mentioned in the video, I still have my Sideshow Darth Maul available for sale. Figure is complete. Hit me up or direct message me if you’re interested in picking it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the HT Maul yesterday. I went for the DX16 without the speeder. Turns out I didn't like the speeder enough to be willing to pay about € 130 extra for something that would basically be a background accessory for now and eventually would end up back in the box when space becomes an issue.

I'm really looking forward to getting him, but I reckon it'll be about 2 to 3 months before I get him in hand.

In the end the decision for me came down to invest 130 bucks on a "nice to have" or save it for a "must have". For somebody with limited budget like me it was an easy decision.

I just see it as I want it now, and if I ever wanted to get rid of it, it shouldn't be a problem to get the 'investment' back.

What are your guys opinions on magnetic head sculpts/necks.

In my opinion its a fantastic idea and wish it was an option on every figure. It solves a lot of problems with pegs etc, with the right coating there shouldn't be any problems with rust. I am not sure what problems would come with it? I could see issues with it on characters like Spidey with full body suits and the seam/separation.

In my opinion its a fantastic idea and wish it was an option on every figure. It solves a lot of problems with pegs etc, with the right coating there shouldn't be any problems with rust. I am not sure what problems would come with it? I could see issues with it on characters like Spidey with full body suits and the seam/separation.

Only problem with them is customization since magnetic pieces are few and far between right now. Thinking articulation wise, I suppose with a barbell joint in a head, you can get slightly more movement on a neckless sculpt than if it just floats on a magnetic neck. I'm sure someone at some point will produce a magnetic plug to be used on bodies/heads that aren't made for it yet so you can continue customizing easily.

Only problem with them is customization since magnetic pieces are few and far between right now. Thinking articulation wise, I suppose with a barbell joint in a head, you can get slightly more movement on a neckless sculpt than if it just floats on a magnetic neck. I'm sure someone at some point will produce a magnetic plug to be used on bodies/heads that aren't made for it yet so you can continue customizing easily.

Exactly I was thinking of magnetic necks on figures to accommodate said sculpts. I think it could be one of the more major advancements to occur recently.

Great question. I think the magnetic heads are extremely good. I never knew how much more you could get out of a figure until I got Iron Spider.

A minute tilt of the head can make a huge difference to a pose. Something which can't be achieved on all figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's why I've never been a big fan of heads with sculpted necks like on Jedi Luke or Neo, as it makes it a lot harder to give the figure any personality or create a natural looking action pose with the neck being so rigidly straight.

Even if you're just going for a simple museum pose, a slight tilt of the head can make it work so much better.

I am also not a fan of the sculpted one-piece neck/head sculpts for the exact same reason. Only one I have is Tarkin which is “ ok”. I’d still love if he could look down a bit.

Boy, the back-n-forth over this highly anticipated release from HT is as intense as the HT vs. SSC Jedi Luke discussions, maybe more so.

After venturing through the discussions in here, looking at the many video reviews and comparisons with SSC v2, I have decided to keep my order for the DX16.

Am I blown away by what I've seen so far? Not really. Yes, it looks like another well-crafted figure from HT but as with many other releases from them lately, there are some issues that one would hope not to see with such a prestigious line as the DX series. The bulky body (looking more like the older Maul seen in SOLO), the no-neck, the over-ripe strawberry red face paint (and those etched in lines for the painters to follow-WTF) take away from what could be a perfect release.

There are many pros on this one to be sure...the sharp detailing, the exquisite tailoring (except for that robe - what is it with this company with capes and robes? More often a stumble than not), the well-rendered accessories. The PERS system upgrade looks promising. Hopefully we won't be finding any tech problems down the line. Fortunately this character's dark, bold features lend themselves well to it and don't have that "sunken eyes" look some flesh-colored faces featured with the PERS. I wish they had gone the route with the "plugs" for alternate eyes like the tactical suit Batman did. I find those work really well and there are no moving parts involved , always a good thing.

I HATE the oversized stand and the lack of a crotch-grabber. There is no reason for HT NOT to be offering BOTH the dynamic goose-neck option along with the standard support.

As for the ongoing comparison discussion, it's just another case of the two figures (HT and SSC) looking like two different people. I find the SSC version looks more like Park from TPM. I have that figure and find it to be one of SSC's better efforts over the last few years. It's a great figure. The HT one more closely resembles the older, fuller-faced Maul from SOLO...a little odd to say the least. It's a well rendered sculpt...just different.

As I mentioned, I do have the DX16 on order and am looking forward to getting it. I'm also enjoying following the discussion in here along with (hopefully) many images of the HT figure when it really starts hitting everywhere....

The face is a bit wider than it should be, but I really don't see the saggy, sunken features of the older Maul in this sculpt myself.

ggfffdd.JPG

I think it is a stunning figure. The red seems a bit dark but I think that’s just because the ss version was so bright

Sorry can’t get the image the right way up

Attachments

• B3178056-FDDE-40D9-982C-DC90ED388767.jpg
    B3178056-FDDE-40D9-982C-DC90ED388767.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 99FF9E43-7FF0-4322-A5A0-2BB2124C7C01.jpg
    99FF9E43-7FF0-4322-A5A0-2BB2124C7C01.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 215
attachment.php

The headsculpt has a lot of potential, it just seems subject to lighting and viewing distance to bring it out. Your photo above instantly reminded me of this shot.

37b.jpg

Back