Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s really odd with this Maul final release they yet to produce a TPM Obi wan to display with Maul :slap

I finally recieved ROTS Obiwan today, so it means I would probably get Maul+speeder bike set around 2.5 month later, better start saving lol.

Not so sure about Padawan Obi, but Im perfectly fine with display Maul next to Dooku, Sith bros :).

Both heads give their own particular audience something:

Movie-only people are happy with the main head.

EU-lovers are happy with the 2nd head.

Seems like a smart choice.

I am really torn about this figure. I respect Ray and his work in the film, it’s not a great film, but he is clearly one of the elements that raises above an average film.

I’m not like a super Darth Maul fan or something, but the piece itself is like stunning, and when Liam’s figure comes out, Holy S____ will they look great together.

Or imagine him in either of the poses below with the speeder behind him ...

$500., this is a tough call.

9f68870e53680293d915ee115f8a229b.jpg

235bddf249cec32fb99d21a824ce9471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this on order, and almost got the SS version a few times.

I’ll wait for a video review or two to see if I’m going to get it, early release is great, until it isn’t lol. Figuarts been kicking my ass this year.

As a huge fan of Maul beyond the narrow scope of TPM, the rage sculpt is what I’m most looking forward to, since I only seem to see his stoic look everywhere else, it’s nice to have a quality range of emotion from him.

I can see a difference in the SS and HT regular sculpt, but they still both look really great to me in photos.

And I’m a fan of the magnet head in theory. Will have to play with in hand to be sure of course.

If they had the mechanical legs , or even went all out with a mechanical spider legs super deluxe version, that would be mint.

I would love a Savage Oppress or Ashoka to go with him, with the return of clone wars maybe Hot Toys will get a license for it? Sideshow did a great clone run which I missed out on mostly, and really dropped the ball with Ashoka.... if hot Toys could fill this gap for me.. that would be swell

These posers don’t know how to use PERS for Maul. Most of Maul’s looks are his eyes just under upper eyelids and slightly to the sides. Part of his look is looking up like Ledger Joker. Amateurs.

Well, if there are more "magnetic heads" to come from HT, it just might be the new way HT does their figures and not to stave off piracy.
My DX12 Batman has a magnetic head as well and has PERS. I think it mainly has to do with PERS access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SideShow's Maul will never be as good as Hot Toys, especially those glowing Sith eyes. Those who have Sith Ani will definitely understand this.

People were saying SS was far much better clearly need to have their eyes checked.

43880404_10212011803080364_2553922514958942208_n.jpg
64232126_10219265431131663_7396629219305848832_n.jpg

Show me any pics of SS's Maul to compare with those above?

As amazing as the bike is who won't be displaying this alongside Qui-Gon in the Duel of the Fates? Have a strong feeling we'll be seeing TPM Obi-Wan at SDCC.

SideShow's Maul will never be as good as Hot Toys, especially those glowing Sith eyes. Those who have Sith Ani will definitely understand this.

People were saying SS was far much better clearly need to have their eyes checked.

View attachment 457592
View attachment 457593

Owning both I can say that the SSC Maul sculpt is on par with HT Anakin.
...btw My eyes are fine. I can even see that those Maul eyes in your picture are brightened in photoshop.
Which one is better is up to the individual, but seriously, if you don’t see that the SSC version is at least very good then I don’t know what to say...
808d1f95a9fc1dba9016d74fc12e5cbd.jpg

It doesn’t have to be a feud of which is better, we are very fortunate to have multiple quality 1/6 Maul’s to choose from now, far better off than the days of Hasbro, Sideshow and the Medicom with its Calista Flockhart body.

The detail level of Hot Toys Maul eyes is amazing and a wonderful feat of production, but in photos, something about them keeps me from getting the feeling of looking at Maul popping off the screen, Sideshow’s figure evokes that for me personally. I do want to try and get the HT head for the photo opportunities posable eyes would offer me.

View attachment 457592
View attachment 457593

Well, since you asked.
To preempt the inevitable question: This is the raw picture straight from my camera, with zero editing or post-processing done. I also did not use any fancy lighting, daylight was the only source here.
IMG_1708_small.jpg

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. The HT sculpt is growing on me in recent shots, but I still don't see anything that warrants an upgrade from the Sideshow - in fact, I personally prefer the SS sculpt. From what I've seen so far, I will definitely need to get the HT boots though, and possibly the lightsaber and hands. For the clothing, I'll wait for some in hand comparisons with the Sideshow clothing.

I’m way too excited for this release. What website(s) do these pictures keep coming from? I want more!

SSC’s V1 is great but I’ve always said the body is too loose, head too small, and the proportions on the body don’t look right- looks too tall and skinny. But that’s my preference. I do think the eyes on the SSC version look great and there is something that I can’t pinpoint but captures very well the essence of Maul.

That being said I’m way too excited for this HT version. Even if SSC has minor things the HT version doesn’t have I still prefer this one. It looks like they nail the proportions more closely resembling Ray Park and the PERS eyes are just too cool. Plus it’s HT and their version of Maul has always been a grail for me.

I love both! Now HT needs to make a Maul from Solo. 🤗🙏

I will never understand that "you need to have your eyes checked" line of argumentation... :dunno
The only "fact" is that people respond differently to different sculpts.

I preordered the HT one, but still bought the SS Maul v2 as I like how SS managed to capture Maul's intimidating stare without having to make furrowed eyebrows. The SS v.2 head is the cold, intimidating, piercing stare that Maul had when he took off his hood and gettin ready to face off with Qui Gonn n Obi Wan.

The only thing I'll say negative about the Sideshow sculpt is it's fact that some of those sculpts were painted better than others. It's definitely one of the better sculpts Sideshow has ever done either way. I picked up the figure really cheap when the HT was announced. I'll see for myself which I prefer when the HT rolls in.

Back