Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speeder version still in the cart. Can't bring myself to place the order just yet.

I can see HT making too many of these and a year after release, being discounted.

I can also see it selling out and prices going sub-orbital...

It’s the second one...THINK, duh
deacf90b500101734fe0619024e300c0.gif

Even if movie Maul didn’t open his mouth, that’s not the problem with that head, the problem is it’s poorly executed expression, it doesn’t look like intense anger or heat of the battle, it’s HT’s weakness, they struggle with having extreme expressions like this come off right. It seems like the shape of the mouth is usually the issue, doesn’t capture the right tension in the face.

Even though this doesn’t feel like a movie expression, if it were executed well, I bet people would be more ok with it, but the fact it’s a piss poor effort just draws more attention to it not being a movie expression.

Even if movie Maul didn’t open his mouth, that’s not the problem with that head, the problem is it’s poorly executed expression, it doesn’t look like intense anger or heat of the battle, it’s HT’s weakness, they struggle with having extreme expressions like this come off right. It seems like the shape of the mouth is usually the issue, doesn’t capture the right tension in the face.

Even though this doesn’t feel like a movie expression, if it were executed well, I bet people would be more ok with it, but the fact it’s a piss poor effort just draws more attention to it not being a movie expression.

I totally agree.

Yeah buy people will still pay for it....

A DX with a second lousy head is not a DX.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I'd rather not have the second head and pay the normal price for a single MMS figure. Give the DX/Speeder version it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Maul is one of my favorites, I passed on the SS version. I'm still on the fence with HT attempt, here is my custom Maul from a few years back

100_3026.JPG

Oh no, some expression in a sculpt. Don't like it? Don't pose with it. It's good for bringing to life other poses then standing around.

Close minded people, that's all I see. Only wanting stuff JUST in the movie but lack of imagination for other scenes.

It's sad.

Ok. So I was trying to figure out what the screaming sculpt reminded me of and then it dawned on me.

King of Red Lions
8d26cbaa83debf42b15f021acb25d2e1.png

But I couldn’t find any pics of him screaming at Link so I thought Chinese dragons could have been their reference.
3ec1720c126d0536d34958dfae9a61d0.jpg

445375fce3b268f1f10289504c3e1db3.jpg

Then I remember seeing a cartoon where a character got scared by a lion statue with the same expression.
a45e520e9f5ce8edbdcdaea4a6775730.jpg

ef66c374d3a9efd03682f23708b33017.jpg

So I’m pretty sure they combined all of these for their reference.

Oh no, some expression in a sculpt. Don't like it? Don't pose with it. It's good for bringing to life other poses then standing around.

Close minded people, that's all I see. Only wanting stuff JUST in the movie but lack of imagination for other scenes.

It's sad.

Oh, it’s not that way at all. I like a good expressive sculpt.

Sure, I’d prefer the much more iconic look of the gritted teeth from the movie and that would have made a lot more sense if HT had done it instead since this is suppose to be Darth Maul from TPM and not from a comic book or novel. The one they’ve shown just doesn’t really look all that great to me regardless.

Its not the fact that they made an expressive sculpt but the anatomy is not correct or rather the depiction is not natural. While the eyebrows are properly furrowed, the lips around the mouth are too relaxed giving him a neutral appearance. As if he just simply opened his mouth, perhaps to eat a sandwich or yawn or laugh or burp. However this does not convey anger. Screaming in anger would result in the muscles in his face contracting and pulling the lips tightly over his teeth and stretching the skin over his chin. This would convey the intensity and stress which is missing from the sculpt.

This sculpt is unsure of what emotion it is trying to express.

I kinda wanted my Maul to look like Park. I’m close to passing. Can you believe it?

Suddenly Timewalker has an NRD on the DX17. It didn't when I ordered on the 23rd. So this is what happened at BBTS with the early adopters having no NRD.

Of course the Mk VII started with one right out of the gate. The NRD is spreading...

Its not the fact that they made an expressive sculpt but the anatomy is not correct or rather the depiction is not natural. While the eyebrows are properly furrowed, the lips around the mouth are too relaxed giving him a neutral appearance. As if he just simply opened his mouth, perhaps to eat a sandwich or yawn or laugh or burp. However this does not convey anger. Screaming in anger would result in the muscles in his face contracting and pulling the lips tightly over his teeth and stretching the skin over his chin. This would convey the intensity and stress which is missing from the sculpt.

4347073c912e0cb716462380ac898394.jpg

It's sad.

Oh, it’s not that way at all. I like a good expressive sculpt.

Sure, I’d prefer the much more iconic look of the gritted teeth from the movie and that would have made a lot more sense if HT had done it instead since this is suppose to be Darth Maul from TPM and not from a comic book or novel. The one they’ve shown just doesn’t really look all that great to me regardless.

The irony of someone accusing people of having closed minds when the accusation shows a complete overlooking of the true nature of the complaint.

Back