Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The secret is to watch The Last Jedi first. Then the prequels will look like masterpieces after that.
This definitely
1254a31c765ef90f75d2b79476d0661d.gif

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No, I went through all of TPM taking HD stills and at no point does he do this, snarl and show his teeth, closest would be the gut punched look he makes just after being sliced in half.

Thought so..even when he was standing with Sidious , I never saw the mouth move..why HT..why :slap

When Obi slashed him , I think it was a grunt or grimace look :lecture

Kind of surprising that of all characters Maul is one to get a DX release. I might get the release without the Sith Speeder depending on the price.

**** it, I'm getting this. They got me.

I have Hot Toys ANH Vader (w/ extra RO gloves), Tarkin and then have the Deluxe ESB/Prepro Boba Fett on Preorder. Might as well go all in and do the villains of Star Wars with that amazing Count Dooku, Emperor Palpatine and Darth Maul.

If Jango, Grievous and a Hot Toys Jabba go up, I'll try for those too.

Darth Maul is more than the movie. It's garbage criticism. These figures are reflections of a character not 1:1 only things shown on film.

ESPECIALLY STAR WARS - there is more to all these characters then whatever is in the films.

I'm all for the EU, comics, games, etc.. trust me, I'm all in on that stuff so yeah non screen interpretations are cool for some of us. But that's a small percentage of collectors. Most folks who are buying an expensive premium figure are going to want it took like what they saw on screen. I know that's what I want out of this particular figure.

When HT gets around to doing a Clone wars or rebels era Maul, or even a tattooed body comic style version, I'll embrace that as well and would buy it in a heartbeat.

Might as well go all in and do the villains of Star Wars with that amazing Count Dooku, Emperor Palpatine and Darth Maul.

That's my formula! If only to try and control the expensive 1/6 habit lol

All the other characters can be bought in cheaper 1/12 versions for my shelves.

Definitely getting the set with the sith speeder. It will replace my venerable Hasbro version.

That open mouthed sculpt is not for my display. It will either stay in it's box or perhaps sold to help finance the higher priced set.

Don't forget Cody... and Nute Gunray.

:D

Stop it. I'm going to try to resist the urge of Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Scouts, Clones and unique secondary villains like Greedo, Bossk, or Commander Cody.

Cody is going to be a tough one for me. Always loved how he looked. Going to try and reason that he's not really a "villain".

People always want faces that show expression rather than looking “dead eyed” or whatever and then they do a sculpt that’s showing expression and nine times out of ten people dislike them.

Going to try and reason that he's not really a "villain".

He's the worst kind of villain -- a traitor. Just like Vader himself.

Or you could look at him like a precursor to the Terminator. An infiltrator 'robot' that is activated to evil by Order 66.

That's not helping, is it? :D

**** it, I'm getting this. They got me.

I have Hot Toys ANH Vader (w/ extra RO gloves), Tarkin and then have the Deluxe ESB/Prepro Boba Fett on Preorder. Might as well go all in and do the villains of Star Wars with that amazing Count Dooku, Emperor Palpatine and Darth Maul.

Not getting it myself but I understand why you've caved. If nothing else the PT did offer up some great character designs/looks and credit where it's due Hot Toys have been doing a great job on them..though like many I don't like their choice for an alternate head here.

Looks like their inspiration for second sculpt might come from official image for SW merch from some era.

View attachment 419955

Someone compared this sculpt to Bellushi laughing, I agree. The problem is, the lips around his mouth are way too relaxed. As well as the skin around his chin. It makes him look chubby, jovial, bloated. If you look at the drawing/Promo Art, his lips are stretched tight around his teeth. The chin is at a point. The drawing got it correct. His muscles are pulling his skin tight over his face because he is angry. The opening of his mouth should not be curving outward relaxed, his skin should be pulled taught against his teeth with intensity/anger. :lecture

Just got home from vacation, turned on the lights and saw my ss v2 Maul... made me kind of wish I could buy a set with only the speeder and accessories. Really don’t need another Maul as it just can’t get any better than what I have... but I guess I’ll need to buy the whole set to get the robe and the speeder [emoji6]
Im in the camp that wish they had done the snarling face seen in the movie instead of the open mouthed one. That said I think it’s a pretty good sculpt and I’m probably gonna use it for my second Maul.

Maybe the final OT Vader -- ROTJ Vader with completely removable helmet/mask -- will be a DX also.

:clap that's the way to go.

That makes more sense to me then this DX Maul release. So many options with SW. Vader deserves DX label more then any DX figure release so far. I will buy anyway Maul dx even i dont collect PT figures. When i look Maul photo allways music theme start to play in my head. And i cant belive he get 2 dx release. Why is that? HT is really strange company sometimes.

P.S.
Where is bloody Joker 1/4 anyway?

Back