Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Maul is pictured in harsh lighting and still rocks. You know it will be a home run. If I recall, the tats are sculpted on the SS. They are most likely guides to help the artist paint with continuity.

Either works for me as long as I can keep doing dynamic poses

Do you have the Sideshow, it can do dynamic poses, and if you want to take the time, even incorporate the costume. This was my desk display at one time.

attachment.php

LOL this will own the SS version.

Hmmm... I think I'll be keeping my Sideshow version, this doesn't seem to be an overwhelming improvement so far. The lightsaber might be something to look out for, though.

Really, it looks almost same shape and size as Sideshows with a cheap cardboard top.

Jokes aside, it looks to be a dynamic stand which is interesting pose wise. I guess that top may not be final either.

Hot-Toys-2018-San-Diego-Display-First-Look-004.jpg

I don't like the carved in tattoos. Hopefully that will not be necessary on the final prod sculpt.

But Maul, Dooku, Jango, Cody is a good start at a PT Villain line-up.

Waiting for Grievous and Nute Gunray to complete my set. :)

Agreed with you about all those WG :hi5:

I also don't like the carved tattoos since it wasn't done like that in the movie. I remember with prior Maul releases, SS said it was unachievable to do the markings without it even with their 1/2 Legendary Scale Maul. Hoping HT either makes the carvings a bit less deep like the SS Dual on Naboo version or is able to achieve it without the carvings on the end product.

Face it, Maulfan, you'll need to upgrade. At least you have a year to 18 months to start saving. :D

Another thing to note, no more bent lightsabers with the HT version. My SS Maul had the most crooked looking saber :lol

Gotta say, Maulfan makes a compelling argument. The Sideshow figure really does seem on par with this... and I prefer the non-sculpted tattoo lines on the SS. Maybe the best of both worlds scenario is where the price drops on the Sideshow figure allowing people to buy it on the cheap, but then prices rise again once the HT is released and it's not the 2nd coming :lecture

I hope they continue the trend with the leather like boots so the ankles are articulated. It would be a big fail on HT part if they went backwards with the technology and made rubber boots with no articulation.

Jokes aside, it looks to be a dynamic stand which is interesting pose wise. I guess that top may not be final either.

As far as I can tell right now, it's a standard HT stand, and their dynamic stands are the best, DX15 came with one and the clap to hold him is so huge, it's a pain to try and use it and not see it without making his costume look goofy.

As for the cardboard, that's probably final, HT has this idea that collectors want stands with different carboards you can swap out, only they don't lay so great and it ultimately looks like a low grade custom and not a professionally produced item.

Agreed with you about all those WG :hi5:

I also don't like the carved tattoos since it wasn't done like that in the movie. I remember with prior Maul releases, SS said it was unachievable to do the markings without it even with their 1/2 Legendary Scale Maul. Hoping HT either makes the carvings a bit less deep like the SS Dual on Naboo version or is able to achieve it without the carvings on the end product.

I look at this figure and see this in my mind because of how deep the tats are carved.

5533624474_c5c549f09a_b.jpg

To make fair comparison, prototype to prototype, con shot to con shot, Sideshow's sculpt lines were more subtle.

Sideshow-Collectibles-2015-SDCC-009.jpg

I understand Sideshow needing guides for paint, it's always been their weakness and I'm sure the factory would struggle otherwise, but, I really don't get the argument when they themselves produced pretty consistent Maul paint without them on their first figure.

21.JPG

And even Hasbro had consistent quality almost 20 years ago.

25284511187_70e5b6cfcf_b.jpg

I'm just dumbfounded that a company with paint to the levels of HT's quality is using hard sculpted lines like that, you give JC Hong a photo and say I want this tattoo pattern on him, he'll get it done and the factory seems very capable of matching his work.

Face it, Maulfan, you'll need to upgrade. At least you have a year to 18 months to start saving. :D

I may upgrade parts if I see something I like, but nothing on display right now makes me feel a want for an entire new figure, likely just costume and accessory upgrades and add ons.

Gotta say, Maulfan makes a compelling argument. The Sideshow figure really does seem on par with this... and I prefer the non-sculpted tattoo lines on the SS. Maybe the best of both worlds scenario is where the price drops on the Sideshow figure allowing people to buy it on the cheap, but then prices rise again once the HT is released and it's not the 2nd coming :lecture

It's hard to say, is Maul maybe not HT's best work, or was he really a bright moment for Sideshow and all the times people said it was on part with HT, they weren't that off to say so.

Sideshow has turned out a few really great figures in the last couple of years... but they still don't have the consistency you'd expect for such an "industry leader". Ash is probably one of my favorite figures and is definitelyl HT quality. But then you get a figure like the Jack Burton and feel like you're back to square one :lol

I don't own the SS Maul (since I got out of PT collecting) but when I saw him in person I was impressed.

I have the original Sideshow Maul and passed on the far superior version 2.0 simply because of the price point and lack of accessories. But the sculpt and paint apps on 2.0 look amazing, no doubt.

I'll be getting this one from HT with all the DX goodness to finally replace the SS original. It has served well for many years.

As far as I can tell right now, it's a standard HT stand, and their dynamic stands are the best, DX15 came with one and the clap to hold him is so huge, it's a pain to try and use it and not see it without making his costume look goofy.

As for the cardboard, that's probably final, HT has this idea that collectors want stands with different carboards you can swap out, only they don't lay so great and it ultimately looks like a low grade custom and not a professionally produced item.

I look at this figure and see this in my mind because of how deep the tats are carved.

5533624474_c5c549f09a_b.jpg

To make fair comparison, prototype to prototype, con shot to con shot, Sideshow's sculpt lines were more subtle.

Sideshow-Collectibles-2015-SDCC-009.jpg

21.JPG

Now this is acceptable..this wasn’t the final product?

Back