Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow -- I didn't quite realize how direct the copy of expressions is from DX06 to this new one until Sean posted those comparisons.

Kind of makes me feel like I'm just upgrading my DX06 slightly. I wonder if I really need that new extra belt that bad? :lol

Maulfan, help me -- what are the additional improvements on this one beside being from a far superior movie?

Maulfan, help me -- what are the additional improvements on this one beside being from a far superior movie?

From photos, the coat, while still looking the wrong color, looks like a nicer, closer to the film fabric, though on the shelf and not in macro photos, I doubt that makes much a difference. The hair has the faux hair bits instead of being 100% sculpted, there are hands with the Jack tattoo and a wrapping around his right hands that's dedicated to Pirates 5, the base, and a knife you never see him use.

Overall, if someone already has DX06, I'd say try to snag the new head bits to upgrade there, otherwise you probably have a great set already.

This is replacing my long sold DX06 so I just am fortunate that my change to reclaim Jack for retail cost is resulting in an enhanced figure from what I had before, only loss is lack of Pearl wheel.

They need to get this figure out already. The very early releases of Homecoming Spider-Man and Hoth Leia have me hoping for this one too. Won’t expect it though, but it would be nice. Looks great so far.

From photos, the coat, while still looking the wrong color, looks like a nicer, closer to the film fabric, though on the shelf and not in macro photos, I doubt that makes much a difference. The hair has the faux hair bits instead of being 100% sculpted, there are hands with the Jack tattoo and a wrapping around his right hands that's dedicated to Pirates 5, the base, and a knife you never see him use.

Overall, if someone already has DX06, I'd say try to snag the new head bits to upgrade there, otherwise you probably have a great set already.

This is replacing my long sold DX06 so I just am fortunate that my change to reclaim Jack for retail cost is resulting in an enhanced figure from what I had before, only loss is lack of Pearl wheel.

Thanks, Maulfan!

I wish there was a little more to it to satisfy my $260 expense for basically a 2nd figure. But I guess I have to look at it as an expensive way to display a 2nd Jack with his hat and coat on. :lol

Even though for me its a repeat figure, its hard for me to cancel Jack Sparrow. I think I have 4 total so far: a Sovereign Studios version from the 1st film, regular and cannibal Jack from the 2nd film, and then Stranger Tides DX06 of course. My fifth will be from film #5. Looks like I'll have a Jack from each of the films.

I hadn't picked up the DX06 so this is an awesome release I'm really looking forward to and looks to be the quintessential sparrow minus the captains wheel which I may have to search out at some point. In any case, I'm super excited to get this guy. Aside from Star Wars, I've limited myself to one character per movie in an attempt to prioritize my collection, i.e. Star Lord from GOTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, there are tiers of representing Pirates of the Caribbean in my collection.

Above all else, I watch these movies for Captain Jack Sparrow, he is the center of my collection and so a stand alone figure is fine.

The second tier for me adds in the characters whom most make the overall series enjoyable beyond Jack, which for me are Barbossa and Davy Jones. Sadly, Barbossa has never amounted to more than a pipe dream in 1/6, though Jones' is an option, so I actually prefer my 1/6 dedicated to Jack as that makes my collection feel complete from a top tier, rather than having a second tier feel incomplete. I do have the Barbossa and Davy Jones pops, and I'm looking to get the Disney Infinity figures to go with my DI Jack, and I finally found a good deal the other night for the NECA Barbossa so I'll have him to join my 7" NECA Jack and probably will go with the Disney Store Davy Jones as it's less expensive than the NECA but still in scale with them and has a lot of accessories.

Third tier is Willabeth, especially after Pirates 5, the Will/Elizabeth story is a key piece of Pirates. I intend to add them to my 7" collection as well. I had them at 1/6 once, but that only made the lack of Barbossa sting even more, and aside from costume quality and face sculpt, Elizabeth was mediocre, the hair looked crappy with the hat off and the body just felt too tall compared to the male figures.

Beyond character representations, I have been building up a small props collection, mostly Jack related, but I've got a 1:1 of Jack's sword, his compass, an Aztec medallion and I'm looking at getting the Davy Jones key and a replica of Jack's flintlock. Oh, and I just ordered a 1:150 scale Black Pearl model kit that should be arriving in a week or two, gotta have the Pearl. I was looking at getting the Beast Kingdom Pearl, but that's nearly $300 and the model kit I bought it about the same scale and only $30, it's less detailed, involves work and has a plain base, but when it came down to keeping my order or not, those features weren't worth over $200 for me.

Yes it's been figured out, they aren't the base included a flexible stand to attach Jack to.

You can see it behind him here.

Hmm, I guess that slipped by a couple of us. I remember some talk about how he was standing without support when it was announced. I would have rather had magnets. lol

Hmm, I guess that slipped by a couple of us. I remember some talk about how he was standing without support when it was announced. I would have rather had magnets. lol

Myself included, I think we were all marveling at the figure so much that something off in the background like that went unnoticed, I happened to spot it in live shots from cons and went back to the official shots to see if this was something added for con displays or something to expect with the actual figure, and that's when I finally spotted it in those photos.

Magnets would be cool, but I trust this more, and from most of the photos, it's clear that it can hide pretty well so I'm good with it, at least with his coat on, may be noticeable with the coat off.

It would have been interesting if they had fixed boots attached to the base, so you could just remove his regular boots and plug his legs directly into the base.

Basically like the Asmus 1/6 Legolas with cave troll base.

A good Pearl is key. I've never seen any of those models. Need to google.

Revell makes two model kits, 1:72 scale and 1:150 scale.

1:72
https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Limited-Disney-Pirates-Caribbean/dp/B06X9V3JHF

1:150
https://www.amazon.com/Revell-05499...6669&sr=1-1&keywords=Revell+1:150+Black+pearl

The smaller lacks some of the sails, I plan to add them myself, still cheaper and less space taken up.

Beast Kingdom 1:144

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/55311

Like I said, the BK version is only a little bigger than the kit I order and costs so much more than it's worth to me. Even the twice as big Revell Kit costs $100 less. The base is cool, but I've seen some YouTube videos showing the Revell Pearl added to foam "sea" bases that looked cool and added to the presentation.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/55311

It was tempting but the size is too much for me.

My future planned shelf is the Pearl at one side, DX Jack on the other, with this at the center.

pirates-caribbean-skull-daggers-coin-bank_142377754939.jpg

I love the McFarlane dio. Don't really need another Orca with that.

As you know, I finally got one of those SCO Jaws busts... and I couldn't be happier with it. I'd say its well worth the money (about the cost of the original HT Vader)... but since you have the Sideshow full shark any additional one would likely seem like overkill (and a space killer). You'd have to decide on one or the other. The Sideshow Bruce is more of a singular display piece with plaque, base and a full shark. The bust needs other 'stuff' to go with it to make it really work. But I do love mine. Catches my eye every time I pass my detolfs.

The SCO pieces capture the unique facial design of Bruce much better though, regardless of what's around it, even their bust has value in capturing those unique qualities, but to my surprise, so does the Funko piece, though much more simplified, and I have two Funko sharks, one in the factory paint to retain that "What if a toy was actually made back then" quality, the second to paint up more true to film to highlight the quality sculpt they produced. SCO's busts are the largest pieces they do, scale wise, but they have also done a variety of full body sharks, some tempting, some not. The full body pieces sometimes look too much like the robot, I like from the gills back on the Sideshow piece because it captures a more cinematic interpretation of him, like the mind's vision of Bruce's body from the flashing glimpses we got and not photos in the warehouse.

I'd love to see Pirates show up in the ReAction figure style, even though not realistic, would be a good way to get key characters. The pops allowed me to have Barbossa and Jones.

They're odd lines, pops don't require likeness rights, yet I haven't seen them show interest in Terminator or Rambo or anything like that which would be fun to see in that style. My biggest wish of all is for 70's Hulk TV ReAction figures, probably my only chance for a Ferrigno Hulk and we could possibly even get a Bixby Banner.

SCO does have a Bruce for every taste just about. The nose-to-tail sharks are pretty cool. Imagine a full 1/6th scale shark hanging from your ceiling. :lol

HOLYS**T Wor-Gar & MaulFan!! Never knew SCO existed! Now the question is 1/6 Bust, or 1/8 model??? And did you guys see they're making a Lifesize Bust this year?! And to think I came in this thread to check out Captain Sparrow...

Back