Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ac812f264b85d2244c7790e7f660684a.jpg
9abc942e0dedbd334db95d50bbba2eef.jpg

Ok he is here!
Better than the DX06 in every way, apart from the smiling sculpt. The DX06 wins in that department.
I'll pop some smiling face compassion pics up in a bit

9099ce0abf143f898e37a7b4e57d96ca.jpg
2d1d42cda705f4292db84ce2d8ace482.jpg

I appreciate the pics are from different angles, but just trying to make the best of the sculpts. The old head is the first pic. It fits pretty well in the new hair, a tiny bit small, but it works.

1ececa7b9e4fd8c686c7d7bd4333d4a8.jpg

DX06 smile head, everything else new.
That looks great! Head fits fine on new body and wig?

This actually makes me reconsider the way I'm planning to display these. DX06 head might go on the DX15 now and the DX15 serious face will go on one of my DX06s.... decisions decisions....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That looks great! Head fits fine on new body and wig?

This actually makes me reconsider the way I'm planning to display these. DX06 head might go on the DX15 now and the DX15 serious face will go on one of my DX06s.... decisions decisions....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes mate, it works well, the old head is smaller, but pegs nicely into the body and the hair fits well.

Does everyone all of a sudden think this does not look like Johnny Deep as he appeared in OST?

56dbf96a2926e37344cbdf5c04362fcf.jpg

It was that long ago that the DX06 was hailed as one of the best that Hot Toys has ever done. And it was spot on Jack Sparrow. Reading this thread you would never know that those opinios existed.

I'm not saying the DX15 isn't Depp. It is definitely Depp. Just an older Depp.

Tap'd from my 7+

But it looks like Depp. I see many people in this thread saying it doesn't look like him. Or looks like a cosplay Jack. I don't remember this many people complaining about the DX06 when it came out. Maybe it is the new toy smell syndrome. Maybe I'm just not that critical. Who knows. LOL

Here's my take on what happened and this is based on my own views of course.

Pirates of the Caribbean films were coming out right around the launch of 1/6 collecting, Sideshow had some figures but were just getting their Star Wars line off the ground, Hot Toys was new to the game and slowly developing themselves, and Medicom put out a few figures. Medicom was actually the first company to tackle Pirates, beside NECA, and it was a decent figure within the style of Medicom 1/6 at the time, but it left room for improvement.

IMG_0325.jpg

Then, just as Hot Toys started to turn out more realistic looking figures with more life-like portraits and less Hasbro style ones, they took on Pirates, and we got a take on a more realistic looking Jack, but it still had flaws, a highly questionable likeness, erroneous coat color, and back then HT had only one body with shoulders as broad as Schwarzenegger.

6541784189_758feb9fec_b.jpg

While it was a step up in most regards from Medicom, even then people knew it could be better, as HT had other figures with better likenesses coming, including Will and Elizabeth from Pirates.

So finally, DX06 comes around, by this time HT has a range of bodies and can finally make a Jack with Depp proportions, and years of sculpts and paint jobs to evolve to something way beyond MMS Jack or Medicom, and they delivered a figure beyond expectation, and despite a competitive portrait, the Medicom UU figure was still very much of Medicom quality in every other respect, so DX06 was THE figure, and so close to perfection in so many areas and such a leap beyond what came before, it was hard to think better would be possible, so it got a lot of praise.

6763255457_2b522262c5_b.jpg

Now we have DX15 showing us in what ways it could be better, and the flaws once overlooked are now under a spotlight.

28279874_10155303455017344_4001442999604557509_n.jpg

There was a time when it took something like having a figure made by Sideshow and then later by Hot Toys to spawn conversations where something once treasured and praised is now criticized, but with Hot Toys ever pushing their quality, even in a few short years they are able to outdo themselves on something they've done before and pieces that really seemed like they'd never be topped are. Up until DX15 announcement, even years after initial release, you'd still see praise of DX06 as one of HT's finest ever, and for the most part, it still is, other than the portraits, DX15 improves on DX06 but the parts don't strike me as majore leaps and bounds beyond, so those who can only have DX06 still have a very solid figure overall and aren't necessarily missing out on a lot.

Here's my take on what happened and this is based on my own views of course.

Really good post. I appreciate the history lesson as well because I've only been collecting HT for four or five years now. Totally agree that opinions are changing due to hot toys upping their game. If the head sculpt had been somewhat equal to the six we'd only be hearing how the fifteen was a rehash. people are allowed to change their minds. ;)

Can you put the DX15 serious head on the DX 06 body?

The ball joint on the DX15 should be same as the DX06 and allow this. Based on some pics, the only thing I’d question is will DX15 faces fit with the DX06 hair and vice versa because there seems size differences.

... This figure is DAMN perfect but have not committed. Bottom line is can I live with DX06 when a better one is out there? What happens when a new Bespin Luke comes out? I just replaced my SS Vader with the Tarkin 2 pack and have Esb Fett on preorder to replace my SS. What happens when a new Indy comes out??? Damn am i getting in the double dipping game?

As a 1/6 figure collector, this has and always will be our lot in life.

For those of us that have been in the hobby for over two decades, its been an expensive fact of life. I've gone from Hasbro 12" SW figures, to Sideshow's, to Hot Toys and that includes a couple of iterations of the same character in each line! Our's truly is an expensive hobby. (and only getting more expensive with time...)

One just needs to compare the new with the old and see if the "upgrade" is worth the cost. It not always is, fortunately.

Several have brought up a good cost-cutting alternative to complete figure replacements - updating just the head sculpt and/or accessories. I think in the case of Jack Sparrow, its a wonderful way of quickly and semi-cheaply upgrading the already excellent DX06. I wish I had the DX06 as well. I would do the same. I love the wheel display.

By the way, I'm staying with my SS ESB Fett, for the time being... :wink1:

Yep, tough decision if you have the 06. Same thing with Batman BvS vs SS Batman, BvS Supes vs JL Supes, etc..

The 06 IS a great figure, can always purchase the 15 head BUT I can't blame anyone (that's you Wor-Gar) who loves this character to also get the 15, it's that good.

Yep, tough decision if you have the 06. Same thing with Batman BvS vs SS Batman, BvS Supes vs JL Supes, etc..

The 06 IS a great figure, can always purchase the 15 head BUT I can't blame anyone (that's you Wor-Gar) who loves this character to also get the 15, it's that good.

:duff

Back