HOT TOYS - DX15 - Batman Returns KEATON BATMAN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they're making the Delorean :dunno

Have they decided the 66 'mobile is too niche?

That was an already announced item. And sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant batman themed vehicles. My bad on that.

I did sent a note asking about the 66 batmobile and he said he would ask around the office to find out, as its not a project he has been involved with. When I hear back I'll try to post. So long as I don't have to worry about someone attacking me for sharing the info.

No, not that I am aware of.

Edit-I think the plan was to use those interchangeable lenses from the dx09 and joker as pack ins so they all had this link and could use the signal even if you only had the joker. Or use both.

No, not that I am aware of.

Edit-I think the plan was to use those interchangeable lenses from the dx09 and joker as pack ins so they all had this link and could use the signal even if you only had the joker. Or use both.

But how do you know? Was it just rumour than?

I would consider (if I where you) anything not officially put up for preorder or on hot toys/ssc site rumor.

That said..I have worked in the toy/prop/merch/movie industry most my life. Call it family business. And have friends at both hot toys and ssc as well as in the licensing/merch/brand departments of both dc and marvel. So I occasionally get some info others may not. I've explained this in the past. Now if you believe me or not that's up to you.

That was an already announced item. And sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant batman themed vehicles. My bad on that.

I did sent a note asking about the 66 batmobile and he said he would ask around the office to find out, as its not a project he has been involved with. When I hear back I'll try to post. So long as I don't have to worry about someone attacking me for sharing the info.
Do you think that the 1/12 Bat and the TDKR Batsuit case are shelved too?

I think if it was previously shown its still planned. Until hot toys says otherwise. The 1/12 bat I have heard a bit about and that was on track. I don't recall ever hearing about the tdkr suit case. Ever actually.

Edit-I think I know what u are talking about. The thing that looked like the armory but was clear, right? If so, it's possible. Since they could use the armory pieces as bones for it. And its a dio piece not a vehicle. Which is exactly the direction I said I was told they wanted to go, in the future, instead of vehicles. Now that could always change if BvS does avengers numbers at the box office. That changes everything. But big vehicles are not super profitable so it's not what I would expect going forward.

Last edited:
I think if it was previously shown its still planned. Until hot toys says otherwise. The 1/12 bat I have heard a bit about and that was on track. I don't recall ever hearing about the tdkr suit case. Ever actually.

Edit-I think I know what u are talking about. The thing that looked like the armory but was clear, right? If so, it's possible. Since they could use the armory pieces as bones for it. And its a dio piece not a vehicle. Which is exactly the direction I said I was told they wanted to go, in the future, instead of vehicles. Now that could always change if BvS does avengers numbers at the box office. That changes everything. But big vehicles are not super profitable so it's not what I would expect going forward.
Thanks for the info. I hope Hot Toys does one more Nolan Dark Knight figure, and the Keaton Batman Returns, but I will not be holding my breath!:pray:

I would consider (if I where you) anything not officially put up for preorder or on hot toys/ssc site rumor.

That said..I have worked in the toy/prop/merch/movie industry most my life. Call it family business. And have friends at both hot toys and ssc as well as in the licensing/merch/brand departments of both dc and marvel. So I occasionally get some info others may not. I've explained this in the past. Now if you believe me or not that's up to you.
I do believe you. It's just that I'm kind of new here so I missed this info in the past. I think it's great to have someone like you to share some extra info. Thanks for it!

Thanks. I wasn't trying to force your hand in believing me or not...just stating there will be many people saying they have inside info. If your new, you have yet to experience the fun. Lol and I was pointing out its safest to assume it's all rumor until hot toys or sideshow confirms it. That way you are not upset if what someone says turns out to be wrong.

Also that even if people have inside info, me included, unless it comes direct from the head of the company or head of approvals it's never going to be 100% correct. So take that into account.

I try to share what info I get, but I also want people to understand that I'm not always right nor are my sources, and it's up to you who to believe as there are lots of people on the Internet that claim insider info and very few that really have it. Just keep that in mind.

As for the info...some has been shared, and it's best if you are looking for info to try a search. If you then don't find it feel free to ask. Some of this I shared last few days is new though. Or updates anyway.

I don't know if there will be any Nolan figures coming. With the BvS coming soon dc may put a hold on any of the Nolan stuff. They have done that before. When a new reboot is coming they put a hold on the previous generations merch. Just so buyers focus on the new stuff. So that's always possible again, as is hot toys themselves just going with the new stuff to try and establish that as a viable product line. With 20 upcoming potential dc movies, two alien universe movies, the new terminator flick, six Star Wars films, and 15 marvel movies a lot of the older stuff may get spread thin. So if it has yet to be shown as a proto I wouldn't count on it. BUT if they have taken the time to make and transport and display a proto I would count on it. And if it has gone up for PO it's a pretty safe bet (arkham bats for example)

Thanks. I wasn't trying to force your hand in believing me or not...just stating there will be many people saying they have inside info. If your new, you have yet to experience the fun. Lol and I was pointing out its safest to assume it's all rumor until hot toys or sideshow confirms it. That way you are not upset if what someone says turns out to be wrong.

Also that even if people have inside info, me included, unless it comes direct from the head of the company or head of approvals it's never going to be 100% correct. So take that into account.

I try to share what info I get, but I also want people to understand that I'm not always right nor are my sources, and it's up to you who to believe as there are lots of people on the Internet that claim insider info and very few that really have it. Just keep that in mind.

As for the info...some has been shared, and it's best if you are looking for info to try a search. If you then don't find it feel free to ask. Some of this I shared last few days is new though. Or updates anyway.

I don't know if there will be any Nolan figures coming. With the BvS coming soon dc may put a hold on any of the Nolan stuff. They have done that before. When a new reboot is coming they put a hold on the previous generations merch. Just so buyers focus on the new stuff. So that's always possible again, as is hot toys themselves just going with the new stuff to try and establish that as a viable product line. With 20 upcoming potential dc movies, two alien universe movies, the new terminator flick, six Star Wars films, and 15 marvel movies a lot of the older stuff may get spread thin. So if it has yet to be shown as a proto I wouldn't count on it. BUT if they have taken the time to make and transport and display a proto I would count on it. And if it has gone up for PO it's a pretty safe bet (arkham bats for example)

Thanks for giving us what information you have! I have a general question that it seems like you may be able to answer - if a toy company like HT has acquired the rights to a character/film (let's use the Nolan Batman films as an example), assuming the license is still current and not expired, can't HT unilaterally decide to make figures during the duration of the license? It seems like you are suggesting that DC could block a figure release from the Nolan line and force HT's hand to release BvS figures.

First or all thanks motuxmen for all these precious informations!:clap
It's interesting.
I really hope that the 66 batmobile is still coming for the fans but if we trust in the previous informations it's sounds bad. I think that if one vehicule of the Batman universe would see the light of day it's the BvS batmobile.
If wee look back, the 89 and 66 stuff was announced/PO during the Nolan's hype/wave. Now this trilogy is considered as "old" films and all the attention is focus on the next BvS. Maybe Hot Toys is waiting for the next Batman wave for the 66 batmobile...
But with all the love and respect i have for the 66 show, i'm affraid that with all the work they've got with all the BvS, Marvel and SW next movies, their interest for a 50 years old tv show unknown for people under 30 years old vanished...
What about the 89 stuff? We had the luck that it was announced and PO during the Batman hype. Not sure it would have seen the light of day if it was shown today...
But difficult to compare a tv show even if it's cool to the million dollars first blockbuster of the history that was Batman 89 and the first Batman in theatre...

Sorry Motuxmen but what information did you gave us here?
You told us how many movies there are comming in the cinema
or is my English not so good :rotfl

Thanks for giving us what information you have! I have a general question that it seems like you may be able to answer - if a toy company like HT has acquired the rights to a character/film (let's use the Nolan Batman films as an example), assuming the license is still current and not expired, can't HT unilaterally decide to make figures during the duration of the license? It seems like you are suggesting that DC could block a figure release from the Nolan line and force HT's hand to release BvS figures.

Hello. Yes, the license owner can block the release of any product at any time. There are multiple ways they can do this, and it all depends on how the license agreement/contract is written. dC usually includes a clause that's more or less the "best interest of the brand" clause. Where they can stop the release of a product of they feel it could damage the brand in anyway. Most companies include this in agreements. There's also just the standard approval process. Each figure (and almost every product that is licensed/made) has to go through an approval process.

So they make an (let's just look at figures for now) intial bid for the license. It's both based on money and design portfolio. Either computer renders or drawings of what they plan. (For an established company like hot toys they just show photos of past product if they don't have relationship with company). Once they get the license they figure out which figure to do first. They make prototype. They send the prototype, or video/photos of it depending on the licensing agreement, to the license holder (this case DC). Dc can then say yes go forward, or no fix this part, or even no start over. They can do this every time if they like. Now there's usually a clause in the contract that after so many no approvals they can get out of the agreement if they want and recoup some of their intial bid. But they wouldn't do it because it causes bad blood, and lets another company get the license. Also, given their relationship with DC and other companies of the company didn't want figures made they wouldn't make them. Not worth loosing that relationship. There's a bunch of other stuff that also factors in, but that's a simplified break down of the approval process.

So, to sum it up. No, a company can not unilaterally make product when they are producing licensed product. When they are the IP owner then they could.

Just to illustrate so you don't think I'm making it up-and don't get mad I know these are not DC products, but the first two I found- here are the little disclaimers they use when showing a prototype at convention before it's been approved and yes batman returns had one too at SDCC.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. Yes, the license owner can block the release of any product at any time. There are multiple ways they can do this, and it all depends on how the license agreement/contract is written. dC usually includes a clause that's more or less the "best interest of the brand" clause. Where they can stop the release of a product of they feel it could damage the brand in anyway. Most companies include this in agreements. There's also just the standard approval process. Each figure (and almost every product that is licensed/made) has to go through an approval process.

So they make an (let's just look at figures for now) intial bid for the license. It's both based on money and design portfolio. Either computer renders or drawings of what they plan. (For an established company like hot toys they just show photos of past product if they don't have relationship with company). Once they get the license they figure out which figure to do first. They make prototype. They send the prototype, or video/photos of it depending on the licensing agreement, to the license holder (this case DC). Dc can then say yes go forward, or no fix this part, or even no start over. They can do this every time if they like. Now there's usually a clause in the contract that after so many no approvals they can get out of the agreement if they want and recoup some of their intial bid. But they wouldn't do it because it causes bad blood, and lets another company get the license. Also, given their relationship with DC and other companies of the company didn't want figures made they wouldn't make them. Not worth loosing that relationship. There's a bunch of other stuff that also factors in, but that's a simplified break down of the approval process.

So, to sum it up. No, a company can not unilaterally make product when they are producing licensed product. When they are the IP owner then they could.

Just to illustrate so you don't think I'm making it up-and don't get mad I know these are not DC products, but the first two I found- here are the little disclaimers they use when showing a prototype at convention before it's been approved and yes batman returns had one too at SDCC.

View attachment 181804

Wow - that's super interesting. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of that out. It's very interesting that toy companies would pay so much for a license when there is a risk that the licensor could continually block releases. I guess they have that "out" clause you referenced (and it's obviously in both parties' best interests to release awesome figures), but it seems like a very high risk, especially given the price of some of these licenses (I believe Howard mentioned that HT paid 6 figures for the Star Wars license). Anyway - thanks again, and here's to hoping HT makes BR figures + the '66 batmobile!

Wow - that's super interesting. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of that out. It's very interesting that toy companies would pay so much for a license when there is a risk that the licensor could continually block releases. I guess they have that "out" clause you referenced (and it's obviously in both parties' best interests to release awesome figures), but it seems like a very high risk, especially given the price of some of these licenses (I believe Howard mentioned that HT paid 6 figures for the Star Wars license). Anyway - thanks again, and here's to hoping HT makes BR figures + the '66 batmobile!

You are welcome. I'm kinda known for the long winded posts so no worries. Lol

Yea it's a risk. But it's either that, or make your own characters which some try. It's the lesser of two evils, as the saying goes. It's like someone borrowing your car. If you make rules in advance, they either accept or buy their own car. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back