Hot Toys- DX14- Mime version Joker... didn't see this coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course they cost less than $100. In general everything you buy costs the distributor at most 1/2, usually 1/3 of what they sell it for. Depends how many supply chains are between you and the people actually manufacturing something.

Yep, but its always interesting to see just how low the price will go on a "sale" to give you an indication of the actual margin.

Yep, but its always interesting to see just how low the price will go on a "sale" to give you an indication of the actual margin.

True but it also doesn't necessarily tell us the margin. Often businesses will sell overstock for cost or a small loss because the cost of keeping them and having them take up space is greater than taking a small ding. They already absorbed the cost of buying these things and have been waiting a loooong time to recoup their money. I wouldn't be surprised if they are breaking about even on the Mime, maybe making $10-$20. Point being these sales are a suggestion towards, not evidence of, sideshow's cost to Hot Toys.

You're right, you did say indication. My bad for suggesting otherwise.

I would be curious to know as well. My guess would be that Hot Toys pays about $25-35 for each figure, once it's manufactured and packaged, then sells to sideshow for about $80-$100 and then sideshow sells to consumers for about $200. I could be wrong though and Hot Toys could be the one making the larger margin. But typically I believe each supply side doubles their investment. Except for sideshow to retailers. I know from speaking to local shops that carry sideshow stuff that they pay 70% of the retail (used to be 60% last year but sideshow upped it to discourage retailers and encourage more direct sales).

So unless bbts, for example, gets a bigger discount, when they have to sell Mime Joker for $160 bc sideshow is, bbts is just recouping their cost.

At the rate they've been pumping them out and how identical each duplicate figure is, I'd say Hot Toys is a pretty well oiled machine at this point. I'm sure the costs of production are insanely low with how efficient they are.

I think that at 144 USD for a shipped mime Joker, Hot Toys is up close on their break even.

Just look at the box, sculpt, tuxedo jacket, complex stand, license! My guess is 90-100 USD for the break-even.

Took advantage of the Black Friday deal and finally pulled the trigger on the "Mime" Prince of Crime. I look forward to displaying him next to my Hot Toys '89 Batman or just some of my other Batman movie memorabilia in general.

"The skulls... the bodies... you give it all such a glow! I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

Wow -- $25-$35 a figure for HT. That would be insane if that's the truth. Now I don't even want to think about it. :lol

I would have to assume these things aren't exactly made by workers making a good wage lol.

Also that isn't counting the overhead expenses of licensing and designing, which I imagine is a general cost and not attributed to the per figure cost. But again, now we are really just talking out of our butts :)

Brand new manual rotary base... seems to work! lol

Also took one pic of the mime, and my attempt at making a more movie-like feather pen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

a detail pic on the feather pen:

- pick a large feather from a pillow
- cut its long hairs shorter
- paint it with a pink and a green highliter pen
- let the paint rest there one or two days, get it dry with paper afterwards, to avoid getting the joker white gloves dirty
- cut one of the default dx14 pens in order to have the pen attached to the feather
- paste

image (1).jpg

cheers!

image.jpg

Back