Hot Toys - DX13 - T2: T-800 (Battle-Damaged Version) 1/6-scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
260ebdb1c2ae296d699219ab3ef4c173_zps08b6bd80.jpg

How can there be such a gulf in class in just a year? :monkey2

I can't wait to see that PERS in PERSon. See what I did there?

I want to know if its really as good as it looks or are these pics somehow deceiving us. I just didn't think it would get any better than it is on DX10....and yet these DX13 pics would suggest otherwise.

260ebdb1c2ae296d699219ab3ef4c173_zps08b6bd80.jpg

How can there be such a gulf in class in just a year? :monkey2
At the time it was released, I don't think DX-10 was representative of Hot Toys' abilities by any stretch. It was just a relatively disappointing product in isolation. They could do another figure tomorrow that could be equally inaccurate. HT has had many sculpts that were home runs over the last 3 or 4 years.

I could see Dutch since he's long gone and they're revisiting Predator figures. Not sure about John Matrix, it would seem like a good fit but maybe not a "big" enough movie for them to pursue.

I believe HT confirmed that they were going to be making John Matrix and a 1/4 Dutch. It was in one of their Q&A's from a few months back.

I thought they were getting better again (the DX Mime joker especially is as sharp as ****) but I was really let down by the finish on Jor-el, which is still another great release.
Yeah! I was gonna say, Mime Joker seemed to get away from the flat waxy look that's been plaguing their production figures for quite a while, and back to the high-quality casts of years prior. But then Jor-el and now DX13 both use the low-budget production process again. Disappointing.

That's the pics. Honestly, that's why I'm not overly crazy about OMG,Luka or Elljay pics. To me, most HT sculpts looks like that in those super up close, hi res, high production pics. But that's me....
It's not the pics; go back and look at OMG's photos of Noland from Predators, one of their last figures before the flat waxy thing started happening; Hot Toys process changed, not OMG's photos.

At the time it was released, I don't think DX-10 was representative of Hot Toys' abilities by any stretch. It was just a relatively disappointing product in isolation. They could do another figure tomorrow that could be equally inaccurate. HT has had many sculpts that were home runs over the last 3 or 4 years.

Agreed... even HT is capable of a "miss" figure, but having said that the DX10 is still an excellent sculpt overall and better than what just about any other company could produce. Just not at the level I would have preferred from HT.

I'm in the minority, but I still kind of prefer the MMS T2 sculpt to the DX10 even though it's too old looking. I think it (especially with the glasses on) is just more representative of how he looked in T2.

I believe HT confirmed that they were going to be making John Matrix and a 1/4 Dutch. It was in one of their Q&A's from a few months back.

I hadn't heard that... but we all know how much stock one can put in an announcement from HT. How long ago did the Smooth Criminal Jackson show up in their catalog, or the official announcement of DX figures from Back to the Future :lol

Yeah! I was gonna say, Mime Joker seemed to get away from the flat waxy look that's been plaguing their production figures for quite a while, and back to the high-quality casts of years prior. But then Jor-el and now DX13 both use the low-budget production process again. Disappointing.

Would his white face not disguise the 'lower budget production process'? Genuine question, not trolling you. Just it'd seem a bit strange that one figure gets out that was made by the old processes.

Yeah, completely agree.

Would his white face not disguise the 'lower budget production process'? Genuine question, not trolling you. Just it'd seem a bit strange that one figure gets out that was made by the old processes.

I thought about that too, and while it's impossible to be certain, I have to say the level of detail in that sculpt is just amazing.

I can't wait to see that PERS in PERSon. See what I did there?

I want to know if its really as good as it looks or are these pics somehow deceiving us. I just didn't think it would get any better than it is on DX10....and yet these DX13 pics would suggest otherwise.

I always find the PERS look better in hand. When they are not so scaled up in pics. So if this looks good now, it's a really good sign.

A fair question! But I don't believe so; even with the white factored in, there's a nice matte finish to the Mime joker sculpt. Perhaps equally important though is how all the fine little details in the skin and hair came through on the production piece of Mime Joker - which again I haven't seen on a Hot Toys figure since Predators' Noland. The same time the wax look started, all the fine details got sucked out. I mean look at the complete lack of pore details, the lips, the sculpting in the hair; it's night and day. They don't even look like a product from the same company.

JokerMimeR27_zps580ece97.jpg~original

T24_zpsa3a30944.jpg~original

Regarding the waxiness (I'm thinking of Waxy Gordon from Boardwalk Empire now every time I see that word used), couldn't you just give the sculpt a flat protective coating to account for that? Then gloss the eyes? It would seem more difficult with Uncle Bob because there's that nice almost sparkly paintwork done on the exposed endo, he has PERS, and the blood, but it seems like that could help out with their typical MMS figures. The issue with "soft" sculpts would still exist, though.

Here's a quick mock up I did just to see what a "clean" version would look like. Now I REALLY can't look at the DX 10 head in the same light again. :lol

Terminatormockup.jpg

Regarding the waxiness (I'm thinking of Waxy Gordon from Boardwalk Empire now every time I see that word used), couldn't you just give the sculpt a flat protective coating to account for that? Then gloss the eyes? It would seem more difficult with Uncle Bob because there's that nice almost sparkly paintwork done on the exposed endo, he has PERS, and the blood, but it seems like that could help out with their typical MMS figures. The issue with "soft" sculpts would still exist, though.

I'd almost argue the texture is a bit overdone on the Mime... looks good, but I don't think his face really had that much texture to it.

I can understand the concern with the "waxy" look, but so far in hand I've never been bothered by it at all :huh

Here's a quick mock up I did just to see what a "clean" version would look like. Now I REALLY can't look at the DX 10 head in the same light again. :lol

Terminatormockup.jpg

Wow, that's pretty badass looking :rock

Could one rationalise waxy as 'sweaty' perhaps? This is based on the steel mill appearance afterall.

Not what HT intended given that all their heads are like this nowadays but still...excusable in this case I think.

Sweat... Ouch... He coudnt cry, not sure if he could sweat. Only if John knew of this in t1 he could kill him with excessive focused sun light.... :( :( ... But in any case he does seem a bit glossy. Not any different glossy from promo pics. But still great enough for me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
A fair question! But I don't believe so; even with the white factored in, there's a nice matte finish to the Mime joker sculpt. Perhaps equally important though is how all the fine little details in the skin and hair came through on the production piece of Mime Joker - which again I haven't seen on a Hot Toys figure since Predators' Noland. The same time the wax look started, all the fine details got sucked out. I mean look at the complete lack of pore details, the lips, the sculpting in the hair; it's night and day. They don't even look like a product from the same company.

JokerMimeR27_zps580ece97.jpg~original

T24_zpsa3a30944.jpg~original

I'd almost argue the texture is a bit overdone on the Mime... looks good, but I don't think his face really had that much texture to it.

I can understand the concern with the "waxy" look, but so far in hand I've never been bothered by it at all :huh

Wow, that's pretty badass looking :rock

The mime Joker is a crater face. Texture for the sake of having texture does not make a good sculpt.

Back