Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the shoulder: It's possible that your shoulder has been twisted 180 degrees so that when you attempt to re-pose it, it resists movement in the direction you intend..

If you look at a naked Truetype, you'll see that it achieves it's full range of motion by using multiple joints and pivot points - though each individual joint/pivot point does not necessarily have 360 degrees of freedom by itself.

This combination ofjoints allows any pose to be achieved, but it's not true that you can go from any one pose directly to any other pose straight away - you often have to follow a specific path of motion, by twisting on one joint in one direction, before twisting on another in a different direction.

I'm not sure what the right phrase to describe this is - it's kind of like gimbal lock. It's hard to describe in words, but if you spend a bit of time trying to pose the arms of a naked Truetype in a variety of poses, you'll quickly see what I mean.

The point is that perhaps your figure's arm is in a position where you'll have to turn it in an awkward, unexpected direction first, before you can move it into the pose you desire. That may be why it's stiff - and if so, you should NOT force it (you'll snap and break the arm off), but rather gently explore movement until you can tease out the right degrees of freedom it has and can then pose it safely.

Thank you so much for this info, it's greatly apreciated. :duff

So it's not "broken" then, right? How does such a thing happen right out of the factory? Is this unusual, or a common issue, with the DX09?

I don't know if I should massage the shoulder and try to get it to move or leave it alone. An immovable arm is bad (it's as if a sizable percentage of this figure is now inaccessible to me), but not nearly as bad as a broken one. Any suggestions?

hope to have some time for posing soon... every time spent in daylight with these is awesome!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great post haytil, and I agree that everyone should pick up a naked TT to get a feel for what it can do.

So it's not "broken" then, right?

Not if my hypothesis is correct, no. And usually "broken" in the context of Truetypes/Hot Toys means disconnected, loose, or cracked. Stiff and unmoveable does not usually indicate broken in this context.

How does such a thing happen right out of the factory?

Think about how hard it must be to put the Truetype figure inside the rubber Batman suit, at the factory. The rubber isn't poured on top of the Truetype into a mold - it's got to be worked in there! So I can easily believe that some poor worker was having a hard time with one of these and ended up getting the body in there finally, but having twisted the arm in the wrong direction to get it to work.

Is this unusual, or a common issue, with the DX09?

I don't think it's a common issue, but this kind of thing is not totally unheard of. I've owned about a half-dozen Nolan Batman figures (rubber suits) over the years, from Hot Toys, and I think one of them was like this.

I don't know if I should massage the shoulder and try to get it to move or leave it alone. An immovable arm is bad (it's as if a sizable percentage of this figure is now inaccessible to me), but not nearly as bad as a broken one. Any suggestions?

Yes, an immovable arm is bad. Like we said, find another Hot Toys toys (where you can remove the clothing to see the joints) and play around with it, to develop an intuition for how you might work this DX09 arm into a poseable position. Just make sure you don't force it - if you're forcing it, you're trying to move it in a way it's not designed to, and you will probably snap it.

Thanks, man. Now that you mention it, the right leg may be disconnected at the top of the thigh. :slap Can I get it back into the socket or is it broken?

I have to be honest...I'm starting to regret getting the DX09. :monkey2

Sorry to say this YFB, but it really seems like you may have gotten a defected DX09...

But the thing is, he may not be defected at all. We all know these figures are super expensive, but you just have to let go and not be so worried when you're handling them, because that's the only way to thoroughly inspect a figure for defects or flaws. Also, that's why it's so important to take them out and examine them IMMEDIATELY when you receive them. That way, if they do have issues, you have a better chance of getting a refund vs partial refund from the seller.

Also, you won't be able to figure out if the shoulder is broken vs frozen vs disoriented or if the hip is dislocated unless you accept the fact that you will have to handle the figure and sometimes handle it with some force in order to determine/fix what is wrong with it. Otherwise, you'll never know what's wrong or if anything is actually wrong with your figure, and that alone can ruin a figure for a collector.

Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing you man, I just want you to enjoy this figure since I know you really wanted him and spent a lot for him, much like I did. I hope you figure out what's wrong your DX09 and if not, I hope you can get all or part of your money back.

Thanks, man. Now that you mention it, the right leg may be disconnected at the top of the thigh. :slap Can I get it back into the socket or is it broken?

I have to be honest...I'm starting to regret getting the DX09. :monkey2

Yankee, have you tried to do as I said? I just popped a leg out on my own TT to show what is up.

Sometimes they come detached at some point. It's not broken and it 100% fixable and easy to do.

They literally snap back in like a peg. And haytil has the right of it about the shoulder. It's probably twisted in a 180 degree position. All these things have happened to people who bought the DX09 and other figures as well. I've had the shoulder and leg thing pop up before. Question, are you new to 1/6 collecting, or rather, 1/6 high end figure with these types of bodies?

It's a bummer you feel that way about your purchase, although I can understand how that can suck out the initial fun you get when you open a new figure. But seriously, if what I and haytil think is what's going on then it's fixable. Too bad ya don't live close I'd come over and fix it for ya!!

Sorry to say this YFB, but it really seems like you may have gotten a defected DX09...

But the thing is, he may not be defected at all. We all know these figures are super expensive, but you just have to let go and not be so worried when you're handling them, because that's the only way to thoroughly inspect a figure for defects or flaws. Also, that's why it's so important to take them out and examine them IMMEDIATELY when you receive them. That way, if they do have issues, you have a better chance of getting a refund vs partial refund from the seller.

Also, you won't be able to figure out if the shoulder is broken vs frozen vs disoriented or if the hip is dislocated unless you accept the fact that you will have to handle the figure and sometimes handle it with some force in order to determine/fix what is wrong with it. Otherwise, you'll never know what's wrong or if anything is actually wrong with your figure, and that alone can ruin a figure for a collector.

Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing you man, I just want you to enjoy this figure since I know you really wanted him and spent a lot for him, much like I did. I hope you figure out what's wrong your DX09 and if not, I hope you can get all or part of your money back.

Thanks. I think. :lol

Yankee, have you tried to do as I said? I just popped a leg out on my own TT to show what is up.

Sometimes they come detached at some point. It's not broken and it 100% fixable and easy to do.

They literally snap back in like a peg. And haytil has the right of it about the shoulder. It's probably twisted in a 180 degree position. All these things have happened to people who bought the DX09 and other figures as well. I've had the shoulder and leg thing pop up before. Question, are you new to 1/6 collecting, or rather, 1/6 high end figure with these types of bodies?

It's a bummer you feel that way about your purchase, although I can understand how that can suck out the initial fun you get when you open a new figure. But seriously, if what I and haytil think is what's going on then it's fixable. Too bad ya don't live close I'd come over and fix it for ya!!

Thanks, man, I appreciate the feedback, the kind words and the support. :duff

Yep, I'm new to the high-end stuff. The DX09 was my second Hot Toy after Reeve Superman. It's just an entirely different animal. If you have a NECA or a McFarlane and it breaks, or if something isn't right, it's bad enough. Now multiply that feeling by 15 or 20. :lol

I think the leg is fine, it stands up pretty straight with a bit of effort, but that left arm will not move forward, not a single millimeter. It will move outward, but not forward.

Like an idiot, I shook the figure a couple of times. I didn't hear anything, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. At best, the arm is just stuck for whatever reason. Perhaps it was installed backward or the joint is...frozen? I'm not familiar with 1/6 or TrueTypes, so I don't even know if that's possible.

At worst, it's flat-out busted. In any case, my DX09 appears destined for museum pose duty. It's not like I was going to do a crazy amount of posing anyway, because it's a rubber-suited figure and I can already see some creasing here and there, but it'd be nice to have full range of movement. Especially for $360.

If I had bought this a couple of years ago from Sideshow, it'd be going back ASAP. Seeing as how it's 2014 and I bought this from a HK seller, I'm pretty much stuck with it. I've checked the box, it appears to have been taped once and only once by HT, so it doesn't appear to be a second-hand repackaged dud.

I've e-mailed him, not expecting much of any positive news. Perhaps he gives me a discount on a future figure, but that may not be such a good resolution. :lol

I'm sorry to rain on everybody's parade. The DX09 is a legendary HT release and I didn't mean to imply that it sucked or that there were QC problems. I was overjoyed when I first opened it up and it still looks incredible. The experience has been...bittersweet...I guess. :)

Thanks. I think. :lol

Haha didn't mean to come off harsh. I apologize if I did. :lol Was only trying to encourage you to be less worried when handling your DX09 in the hope that you'd be able to figure out what's wrong with him, and then start enjoying him more. But it can be tricky and even scary with a suited figure since you can't see the joints, so I can see why you're hesitant. But just be careful and I think you'll be able to tease out what's going on under the suit. Good luck man!!

Haha didn't mean to come off harsh. I apologize if I did. :lol Was only trying to encourage you to be less worried when handling your DX09 in the hope that you'd be able to figure out what's wrong with him, and then start enjoying him more. But it can be tricky and even scary with a suited figure since you can't see the joints, so I can see why you're hesitant. But just be careful and I think you'll be able to tease out what's going on under the suit. Good luck man!!

It's cool. :duff It very well could be a backwards bicep. I could try twisting it around, but I don't want to risk tearing the rubber suit. I know there's some give to it, but it doesn't feel all that durable to me. There are worse outcomes than a static arm.

Usually if the arm is malrotated at the shoulder or bicep, the arm won't hang naturally at the shoulder (it will hang somewhat abducted, ie away from the body). That may give you an idea of what the shoulder is doing.

If you do try rotating the arm, just make sure you adjust the rubber as you rotate so it doesn't bunch up. If the rubber doesn't bunch up, it shouldn't be stressed or tear. If all else fails (can't resolve issues with the body, seller refuses to help) you can always buy a spare DX09 body off eBay. Here's one for $87 + free shipping.

Hot Toys 12" DX09 Batman 1989 Michael Keaton 1 6 Figure Batman Body 4897011174198 | eBay

You didn't rain on anyones parade,Yankee. You're new to this and you paid a butt-load of money, you have every reason to be cautious and a little disappointed. It's a pity this figure is being such a pain in the butt for you. :( I can't see the figure in hand(obviously) so it's difficult to say definitively what the hell is going on. I don't think it's broken, but I dunno. I wish I could be of more help. :(

I think this is such a great post. After handling a few of these things, in the end you do become more confident and that really is the only way to deal with problems like the one you've got. As for buyer remorse, I think that's an occupational hazard with this hobby! Your post has made me regret buying the DX09... and it hasn't even arrived yet!!! Worst case scenario you sell it as broken and get some of your money back or part out all the unbroken parts and get most of your money back plus sell off the body as broken. You're not going to lose ALL your money.

^Thx for agreeing w/ my post, CB.

YankeeFanBoy is new to collecting high end figures but he's a good guy (I'm new to 1/6 as well but have been collecting 1/4 for a few years). Just wanted to help him get over that "these things are so expensive that i don't want to risk doing anything that may break my figure" phase that most new collectors go through. Once you get past that phase, you not only can deal with these type of issues (as you pointed out in your post) but you can also just enjoy the hobby more since you're not so consumed with fear of breaking something thats actually a lot, scratch that, a little more resilient than you probably realize :lol

^Thx for agreeing w/ my post, CB.

YankeeFanBoy is new to collecting high end figures but he's a good guy (I'm new to 1/6 as well but have been collecting 1/4 for a few years). Just wanted to help him get over that "these things are so expensive that i don't want to risk doing anything that may break my figure" phase that most new collectors go through. Once you get past that phase, you not only can deal with these type of issues (as you pointed out in your post) but you can also just enjoy the hobby more since you're not so consumed with fear of breaking something thats actually a lot, scratch that, a little more resilient than you probably realize :lol

A great guy! :clap Don't go anywhere YF!

Thanks for the reassuring words. Thanks for the kindness, everybody. :duff

I'm already spending way too much on new figures and DX12 parts for my Batman Armory, so a spare DX09 body is out of the question at the moment. :lol

I'll keep it in box now, but whenever it is displayed, it'll be done so in a museum pose. It's got that kind of shelf presence. I'll turn my focus to DX15 and perhaps an '89 2.0, if it ever comes.

My dx09 came with a broken ankle joint, literally fell out of the boot
Thankfully, gravity solves that problem, no way I'm paying $40+ for another boot

My dx09 came with a broken ankle joint, literally fell out of the boot
Thankfully, gravity solves that problem, no way I'm paying $40+ for another boot

Is the boot broken, or the ankle? If the latter, it might be fixable for a lot less than $40.

Back