Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is how many people will still have this a year or two from now and don't just trade him in for the next big thing. When you read some comments, people seem swept up in the production quality more than having feelings about the movie and character, I saw the same with Jack, it seems like a trend is forming where people collect the product type and buy nice pieces within it, almost like a status symbol so they can be a part of the crowd with THE best.

It does happen. I know I tend to gravitate towards the "hot new thing"

True...but every day without this figure is like a year without rain...

37133_162072550498553_122471057792036_281436_3654577_n.jpg

I'm soooo happy that I'm totally oblivious to this reference. :lol

I have definitely observed this trend and have been guilty of doing this myself in the past. Now that I am married though, I am very selective. I am not sure it is just about the status symbol though.

Well I don't mean everyone is doing it as a status symbol, but the way people argue at this site, I feel like it's getting that way. Specifically, the conversations where people go above and beyond to try and validate the "superiority" of something they own over something someone else is excited about. You see it a lot these days, you'll see it with this figure, someone will get Keaton Batman, love it, and be off in a Bale thread talking down to the people who prefer that figure like they're stupid and acting like they have the better figure and they're better people than the Bale fans. It's one thing discussing one item versus another but the level some people around here take it to these days is tiresome and almost disgusting that they behave that way over "toys".

I do understand being swept up in the quality of this stuff, I've sold figures that I bought more out of awe for what was done, but I had my time to enjoy that now it just meant nothing. I think it happens to all of us, I only brought it up as I think it's hard to gauge fandom for the source material and the subject of the figure itself from sales because you will have people who don't care much about the '89 film, or the '89 suit, or Keaton as batman, who will by the figure more as a neat Batman and once they remember they don't care all that much for the '89 specifics and the awe of what was achieved wears off, he'll be on eBay or the commerce section here.

I'm soooo happy that I'm totally oblivious to this reference. :lol

You mean your daughter doesn't bombard your brain with Di$ney Channel bull____ too? :lol

I do understand being swept up in the quality of this stuff, I've sold figures that I bought more out of awe for what was done, but I had my time to enjoy that now it just meant nothing. I think it happens to all of us, I only brought it up as I think it's hard to gauge fandom for the source material and the subject of the figure itself from sales because you will have people who don't care much about the '89 film, or the '89 suit, or Keaton as batman, who will by the figure more as a neat Batman and once they remember they don't care all that much for the '89 specifics and the awe of what was achieved wears off, he'll be on eBay or the commerce section here.

But therein lies the kicker...I think more people will keep this figure, regardless of how they feel about Keaton or the film, simply because it (the character) transcends both. It's Batman.

Got him last night! I didn't really think I'd be as excited for this one as I was for Reeve, but I am! Beautiful figure and nothing frustrating about him at all. Can't wait for the Returns version!

Bout time we got a hassle free figure.

But therein lies the kicker...I think more people will keep this figure, regardless of how they feel about Keaton or the film, simply because it (the character) transcends both. It's Batman.

I think those people will only hold onto it until a better Batman comes along. General reaction, there's always a better one to come. Takara Batman was hailed as the best Batman Begins figure out there, then HT did the OC Batman with TDK's release and that was it, then the DX02, then re-release OC Batman, now Keaton, next'll be TDK suit again when the TDKR version comes out. Those people are fickle and just want one "best" version and will drop a previous one without hesitation if they see better. The ones buying this because of their fandom for '89 specifically will hold onto this for life, though even some of them may drop it if a better Keaton comes along as many did with the custom Keatons.

Bout time we got a hassle free figure.

No clip capes to fix :yess:

I think those people will only hold onto it until a better Batman comes along. General reaction, there's always a better one to come. Takara Batman was hailed as the best Batman Begins figure out there, then HT did the OC Batman with TDK's release and that was it, then the DX02, then re-release OC Batman, now Keaton, next'll be TDK suit again when the TDKR version comes out. Those people are fickle and just want one "best" version and will drop a previous one without hesitation if they see better. The ones buying this because of their fandom for '89 specifically will hold onto this for life, though even some of them may drop it if a better Keaton comes along as many did with the custom Keatons.

Watch 89 2.0 not have a PERS back of head entrance :gah:

I can't wait until this thread inevitably devolves into pissing contests about how much better TDKR and/or Batman Returns figures are compared to this "old figure" or the many, many conversations about customizing this, or modding that to make it "perfect". I'm still waiting to see someone who has cut the suit to pieces, glued them on a leotard or those who have "sealed off" the PERS panel. Also can't forget about those that come in complaining that they missed out.

Gonna be GREAT! :yess:

I am looking forward to some people's pics before the ____ hits the fan though (don't disappoint me Sean or Jye, especially you Jye:lol). Hell, I might even do a few myself. I don't think I've actually sat down and shot a figure since the Tech Noir T-800. I think I'm definitely going to try and get a few shots where the light is overhead, casting down on Batman's head. I love how it makes his eyes disappear (like my sig). I've always loved that look.

The guy I deal with said his stock won't be coming from Sideshow until March, split shipment and all. Really sucks but oh well.

I can't wait until this thread inevitably devolves into pissing contests about how much better TDKR and/or Batman Returns figures are compared to this "old figure" or the many, many conversations about customizing this, or modding that to make it "perfect". I'm still waiting to see someone who has cut the suit to pieces, glued them on a leotard or those who have "sealed off" the PERS panel. Also can't forget about those that come in complaining that they missed out.

Damn it, I'm going to have to mod the Nike tick onto the boots because without them it takes the figures likeness from perfect to below 10%. :nana:

I can't wait until this thread inevitably devolves into pissing contests about how much better TDKR and/or Batman Returns figures are compared to this "old figure" or the many, many conversations about customizing this, or modding that to make it "perfect". I'm still waiting to see someone who has cut the suit to pieces, glued them on a leotard or those who have "sealed off" the PERS panel. Also can't forget about those that come in complaining that they missed out..

Gonna be GREAT!

I am looking forward to some people's pics before the ____ hits the fan though (don't disappoint me Sean or Jye, especially you Jye). Hell, I might even do a few myself. I don't think I've actually sat down and shot a figure since the Tech Noir T-800. I think I'm definitely going to try and get a few shots where the light is overhead, casting down on Batman's head. I love how it makes his eyes disappear (like my sig). I've always loved that look.

Also, I wish those darn kids and their bikes would stay offa my lawn! :mad:

I definitely caught the sarcasm in your rant, but a lot of what you mention is only natural. This whole thread, people have been commenting about how DX 09 is better than any HT Batman figure to date. I should hope that for TDKR and Batman Returns figures, we see an increase not decrease in quality. Don't you want future HT releases to be better, or do you want them to have peaked at '89 Bats?

I too can't wait to get mine and see some more well-done pictures. The Batman '89 figure is great, no argument from me there. But aren't you at least a little curious about what skilled modders can do to take it to the next level / go all the way where HT didn't? Fully, battle-damaged batsuit? :dunno

This whole thread, people have been commenting about how DX 09 is better than any HT Batman figure to date. I should hope that for TDKR and Batman Returns figures, we see an increase not decrease in quality.

Yeah, and I think that's stupid.

I still remember when the Takara was the best Batman figure yet, then the OC came out and people felt the need to ____ on it. Or the TDK v1, or what have you.

It will probably happen with this '89 figure, even if Hot Toys doesn't make a "v2". All they need to do is put out a new Batman, from any film, of any size and the comparisons will come rolling in. The majority really only cares about the latest and greatest, nothing else. I don't agree with that mentality, nor do I participate in it. I'm no hypocrite.

Don't you want future HT releases to be better, or do you want them to have peaked at '89 Bats?

Of course. I'm looking forward to TDKR Batman and Batman Returns figures. Why would I want them to be anything less than what they can be?

:lol

But aren't you at least a little curious about what skilled modders can do to take it to the next level / go all the way where HT didn't?

No.

Fully, battle-damaged batsuit?

Yes . . .

Where are the pics guys?

part 2 of the bad quality pics :)

Imho I think those low quality grainy pictures make the figure look even better than trying to shoot pics in medium quality.
Either you go for low grainy or you go for super quality, but in the last case you see every little detail, even the bad ones, especially if you dont have the lightening right.

In that sense I am happy with the low quality pics :) so enjoy!

66304023.jpg

2cmum40.jpg

2a5b38o.jpg
2ly508i.jpg

2ept08w.jpg
2efpd9z.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics. I love how the emblem pops and the proportions with the cape folded back are spot on.

It will probably happen with this '89 figure, even if Hot Toys doesn't make a "v2". All they need to do is put out a new Batman, from any film, of any size and the comparisons will come rolling in. The majority really only cares about the latest and greatest, nothing else. I don't agree with that mentality, nor do I participate in it. I'm no hypocrite.

Great post, I agree :lecture

I am looking forward to some people's pics before the ____ hits the fan though (don't disappoint me Sean or Jye, especially you Jye:lol).

I've got some stuff planned that I think you especially will appreciate and enjoy :)

Imho I think those low quality grainy pictures make the figure look even better than trying to shoot pics in medium quality.

2a5b38o.jpg

Agreed. While I applaud those who have shot this figure more heavily lit for showing off the detail and what not, I love seeing it in the same context as Keaton himself. If you cropped this show so whatever that is down in the bottom right wasn't showing and just the blue tinted backdrop, you could easily pass it for a shot of Keaton from the film, it has the minimalist lighting quality to it and the grain makes it seem older like an image from the 80s and not today's clarity and definition.

Back