Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still remember when the Takara was the best Batman figure yet, then the OC came out and people felt the need to ____ on it. Or the TDK v1, or what have you.

It will probably happen with this '89 figure, even if Hot Toys doesn't make a "v2". All they need to do is put out a new Batman, from any film, of any size and the comparisons will come rolling in. The majority really only cares about the latest and greatest, nothing else. I don't agree with that mentality, nor do I participate in it. I'm no hypocrite.

Fair point. There are some that will use extreme language to highlight the differences / advancements between figures, to the point that they put the older figure down. But don't lump all who simply compare figures in with them in one group. I can't speak for "the majority", but for myself, comparing and recognizing that one figure is flat out better than another figure /= ____ting on it. Yes Takara was the best Batman figure for a time, until the OC came out.

Is Takara still a quality figure?

Yes.

Does OC blow it away?

Also yes.

It seems like you are pre-defending this figure even before reasonable observations and comparisons start. If HT's craftsmanship and quality improve by leaps and bounds with the TDKR and BR releases, only the most stubborn '89 fan would insist that it is still the best, or "it shouldn't be compared". Keaton's not my favorite Batman, but I can readily admit that this is the best Batman figure to date, and compared to the best Bale figures, it tops them. I honestly don't see what's wrong with noting that and making comparisons as a fan of the character, the movies, and Hot Toys as a company. Why the hell not? :dunno

Sidenote: you don't want to see what customizers do with this figure, but you would want to see a BD version?? Unless HT has something up their sleeves, don't hold your breath man. :wink1:

It seems like you are pre-defending this figure even before reasonable observations and comparisons start. If HT's craftsmanship and quality improve by leaps and bounds with the TDKR and BR releases, only the most stubborn '89 fan would insist that it is still the best, or "it shouldn't be compared". I honestly don't see what's wrong with noting that and making comparisons as a fan of the character, the movies, and Hot Toys as a company. Why the hell not? :dunno

I'm not defending anything.

A few things first.

- I don't think this figure is end all be all or lacking faults (the way that PERS panel sticks out in some photos as well as the seam bugs the hell out of me) but I do think it's fantastic and will be my favorite figure I own. I'm so pumped for next week.

- Looking forward to seeing the TDK/TDKR whatever figure. Logic tells me it will be "better".

- Looking forward to seeing the Batman Returns figure. Logic tells me it will be "better".

My feelings on the subject have really just found it's way into this thread simply because that is what always happens (that, and I noticed the same mindless bickering in the MMS DX 01 thread).

Once discussions about a particular topic, be it a collectible, film, or any form of entertainment has reached it's peak (and I'm talking about things that start out as quality and are for the most part, loved), people must always find something to cause tension and negativity. This is because there isn't that much to talk about. That's when the thread gets ugly and becomes a thread about flaws, customs, mods, and market prices. There isn't anything else to talk about because the release is over. This involves comparisons and tedious, repetitive debates that essentially have no value and accomplish nothing. I've taken part in this nonsense, and let me tell ya, it's a waste of time. Is it interesting the first couple of times, you bet. As a fan you gain more insight into the things you enjoy, even if opinions differ. But when you see that, that repetitive, predictable, "formula" if you will that exists based on negativity (not saying everything is perfect or postive or should be either) and see it over, and over and over again, that's when I have a problem. You can only say "this is better than that" or express your opinion so many times.

I do think people might start complaining when the Batmobile comes out, because getting this guy to sit in it will be a problem, as I'm sure it was with the original suit. I'm betting Keaton never wore the bottom half when in the Batmobile.

I do think people might start complaining when the Batmobile comes out, because getting this guy to sit in it will be a problem, as I'm sure it was with the original suit. I'm betting Keaton never wore the bottom half when in the Batmobile.

I'm sure they will complain, but thanks to the '89 promotional material, and just the suit and car designs, I think people will be more content with the idea of just standing the figure up next to the car than the Bale Batman figures standing next to the tumbler or Batpod.

There's going to be a lot of displays like this, at least among those getting the Batmobile.

batman_returns_keaton.jpg

Yeah, true.

I've been wondering, do the rubber leggings, the pants, even come off? Even with all these great photos I haven't been able to tell.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how they managed to get the true type body into a seamless one piece suit. Well that and I wonder if you could take them off to get him to sit in the car.

Perhaps the delay on the Batmobile has to do with building a Batmobile version of Keaton Batman to include with it. I would say maybe the Returns figure will be made for it, but I doubt the build of that figure will differ much from this one, just feature the Returns designs.

Yeah, wasn't it hard for the actual fully suited up Keaton to sit in the actual Batmobile without some modifications? I can't remember where I read it (maybe on these boards) but wasn't the driver side seat altered/removed in shots where the canopy closes over his head so that he would sit lower and it could actually clear his bat ears? I remember reading some variation of that, or he wore a shorter "driving cape" or a cowl with shorter ears. If it was in fact difficult to fit the actual costumed actor in the actual prop, I agree, it will be with the model figure and vehicle that strive for accuracy as well.

I know they had to shorten his ears for him to be able to sit in the car without the canopy closing on them but I don't recall them removing components of the vehicle.

They had to modify Robocop's Taurus in 1986 and it was still too small for Peter Weller to fit in the car so they had to modify the suit. Basically he didn't wear the armor from the chest down.

Last edited:
Every new release is the "best figure ever".

Though, I'm kind of astonished how many collectors and fans are interested in this figure. I guess I didn't really think there would be such a demand outside of the fan base, especially with the modern Batman collectibles out. I've seen discussions and excitement on other message boards that aren't even dedicated to 1/6 figures. Plus the sheer amount of pics and reviews (articles and video) for this was quite overwhelming. It's like everyone came out of the woodwork to talk about this figure.

I know the enthusiasm was high for the Reeve Superman but it seems like this Batman has gone above that in terms of hype. I didn't really expect it. I thought it would be me and a few others.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Yeah, true.

I've been wondering, do the rubber leggings, the pants, even come off? Even with all these great photos I haven't been able to tell.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how they managed to get the true type body into a seamless one piece suit. Well that and I wonder if you could take them off to get him to sit in the car.

No, unfortunately the body suit is one piece, pants, arms, chest, shoulders, torso, all attached together, that's why he has sitting problems, although it's extremely flexible material, because everything is attached it's posed the worst when in seated position.:lecture

However the boots easily can come off and be snapped back into place with no problems, the gauntlets easily slip off and on as well.

Hot Toys couldn't have possibly released this figure without checking if it could actually sit upright in the Batmobile ...could they? :D

ANY Canadians order for Toys2 ? I am hoping their shipment is from the first group so we aren't waiting another month or two for backorders!

I just heard that the so-called "second batch" will come with a more burnt-orange "gold" batbelt rather than canary yellow.

:yess:

Dynamite stick #5

Yup, heard that too. Plus they're fixing the nose flaw and adding the Nike Swoosh to the boots. That's what I love about 1st runs, all the flaws and oversights get fixed.

Dynamite Stick #6. :lol

I just heard that the so-called "second batch" will come with a more burnt-orange "gold" batbelt rather than canary yellow.

:yess:

Dynamite stick #5

Yup, heard that too. Plus they're fixing the nose flaw and adding the Nike Swoosh to the boots. That's what I love about 1st runs, all the flaws and oversights get fixed.

Dynamite Stick #6. :lol

That's interesting because I just caught this news update about the second SHIPment and it doesn't look good.

battleship_sinking.jpg

Back