Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indy was one of the first figures they did with the cast in color resin... sadly the end product looked very waxy and unrealistic. The proto was fully painted and definitely looked better... although the pics of it always looked kind of like a Cromagnon to me :huh Even though the sculpt never changed.

I think this was the image used... if not this is at least the proto figure:

sideshow_12inch.jpg

Looks great in this one though:

2279887928_d1f0a8c603_o.jpg

You can see all of the proto images here:
Sideshow Indy

And Sideshow did not listen to the fans when it came to the figures they were making eg. German disguise Indy. I lost count how many people were telling them to make a removable hat

I still consider this figure one of the weirdest choices they made in the Indy line. No removable hat. A screen-inaccurate rocket launcher. A crazy 89.99 price point for hardly any accessories. All I wanted was a map room Indy, I would have gladly paid 89.99 for the robe, staff of ra, and notebook added to the same ROTLA Indy clothes underneath.

Ah, yes. I remember those! They were the images that got me into this (god-forsaken) hobby to begin with! If it wasn't for those promo shots, I never would have even known this whole other world of high end action figures existed!

But yeah, that paint job is much better than what we got in the final product. Although comparing it with the fantastic custom paints have come out of this board, the original Sideshow proto paint job doesn't stack up either.

Can anyone confirm it that was the shot used in the Tomarts cover?

I still consider this figure one of the weirdest choices they made in the Indy line. No removable hat. A screen-inaccurate rocket launcher. A crazy 89.99 price point for hardly any accessories. All I wanted was a map room Indy, I would have gladly paid 89.99 for the robe, staff of ra, and notebook added to the same ROTLA Indy clothes underneath.

Yep, the price was uncalled for. It should have been 69 or even 79 tops, especially considering it was almost 2 years ago already. I still got it though, and I'm glad it's mine. I really should have waited to find a bargain on that one, although it still seems to fetch around retail on ebay.

And now thanks to HT, I'm finally getting a map room Indy! The parts cost me around $45 through TA. :banana

Since they "let the pictures do the talking" the pics did'nt tell me that the hat was'nt removeable, and never did see those crates

Jim

Well, not to be argumentative... but the pics indeed to do show a separate hat (not removable, two head and an extra hat) and the picture with the crates clearly says they are not included :huh

Well, not to be argumentative... but the pics indeed to do show a separate hat (not removable, two head and an extra hat) and the picture with the crates clearly says they are not included :huh

Apologies, on closer examination I see the disclaimer about the crates.
I did have to enlarge the pic that was posted here.
And to be honest, I either don't remember or did'nt expect to receive the crates back when the fig was released

As to the issue of the hat, it was never clearly stated that the extra hat did not fit on the extra head. Some descriptions went as far as to say every option is covered.

Toys McCoy, Medicom, Hasbro have all been able to make heads with removeable hats, Belloq, Toht, Larry Talbot and Freddy Kruger all had removeable hats as well as several custom resin Indy heads.
No reason the hair on the head and/or the lining of the hat could not have been thinned to acomodate a 2nd removeable hat. A loose head and loose hat that don't match make no sense especially for this character in this outfit.
Jim

Apologies, on closer examination I see the disclaimer about the crates.
I did have to enlarge the pic that was posted here.
And to be honest, I either don't remember or did'nt expect to receive the crates back when the fig was released

As to the issue of the hat, it was never clearly stated that the extra hat did not fit on the extra head. Some descriptions went as far as to say every option is covered.

Toys McCoy, Medicom, Hasbro have all been able to make heads with removeable hats, Belloq, Toht, Larry Talbot and Freddy Kruger all had removeable hats as well as several custom resin Indy heads.
No reason the hair on the head and/or the lining of the hat could not have been thinned to acomodate a 2nd removeable hat. A loose head and loose hat that don't match make no sense especially for this character in this outfit.
Jim

I don't understand peoples issues with the hat. :confused: We had one head with the hat on, one head without a hat, and one hat. If the hat was removable it would have sculpted hair on the inside and it would loose the detail it currently has, or his hair would be flat and look stupid. And the removable fedora would be superfluous. If Indy isn't wearing his hat do you want him to be holding it with sculpted hair on the inside, or would you prefer the extra detail of having the interior lining? I think what we got was perfect in terms of versatility for display. The only thing better would have been a 1/6 felt fedora and real hair on his head. And if anyone can make that look good at 1/6 scale and sell it for 89.99 will be laughing all the way to the bank.

SkyIScrape said
"I don't understand peoples issues with the hat. :confused: "

I don't understand how people can not have issue with it
This type of figure comes with removable clothes and hats
There have been very few that have'nt. If I wanted a glued on hat
I'd get an model or statue

"We had one head with the hat on, one head without a hat, and one hat."
So. since were including 2 heads, why not one with hat glued on to satisfy you and one with a functional removeable hat for me ?

"If the hat was removable it would have sculpted hair on the inside"

Why would we conclude that ? I've never seen that before or since.

"... or his hair would be flat and look stupid."

In the real world we call it "hat hair" (or is it "hat head" ) its essentially a natural phenomenon

"...the removable fedora would be superfluous. If Indy isn't wearing his hat do you want him to be holding it with sculpted hair on the inside,

No, certainly don't want him holding a hat with a wig in it, and I don't recall a scene in ROTL where he is wearing his adventure gear and holding his hat

"...or would you prefer the extra detail of having the interior lining? I think what we got was perfect in terms of versatility for display. "

No I would have prefered a hat made of a more flexible material like Johnny West had back in 1960whatever

"The only thing better would have been a 1/6 felt fedora and real hair on his head. And if anyone can make that look good at 1/6 scale and sell it for 89.99 will be laughing all the way to the bank"

This figure was really not worth 89.99 (it was expensive for then) even if it did'nt have the other issues with the loose body, oversized head, bad paint job, velcroed pants, seed-buttoned shirt, molded whip, molded sandbag etc.

I think the fact that the hat looks like a real hat on the inside (has a lining) is the selling point.

I guess if you wanted the option to pose the hat I guess I could see that but I honestly was never bothered by it as the look of the hatted head was very realistic to me. I do know that it was discussed that the hat was not wearable before he shipped... but that might have been part of a Q&A.

Personally, 2 heads and the hat with a lining is preferable for me.

I think the price on Indy was fair considering the amount included and how the proto looked, but I will definitely agree the finished product did not live up to the pricetag.

This was discussed in detail near the start of this thread (couldn't find it after ten mins...) but is the HT fedora/hat closer to 100% screen accurate specifically in terms of height of the hat?

I am tweaking my SSC Indy and it seems to me, based on reference pics, that the SSC Indy hat is not tall enough (i.e. vertical height above ribbon/bow part.) I'm considering casting my loose SSC hat and simply extending the top a bit to make it taller - or using the HT one

This is going on German Indy head - due to it being a slightly bigger scale head, it makes the SSC hat look too small, but the hat seems too "short" even when it's not on the head.

Yes the SS hat crown is a bit short, but it definately gets everything else right. The tighter pinch, the Cairo bash, and raiders turn to the brim are all perfect. Just should be a little taller

Actually the first sculpt we saw of Trevor's Indy was altered quite a bit before the figure came out. We lost the sculpted stubble and they removed the fixed neck.

Although Sideshow is showing a lot more WIP stuff then they used to and giving up a lot of "upcoming" secrets. In the past we usually didn't know what was coming until a week before the PO.

Fine we lost the neck, but, we didn't lose the sculpted stubble, it's still there, you just have to strip the sculpt and repaint it and it's there.

As for it not looking like what we saw in Tomart, that was down to the paint and photography. When you strip and repaint the SSC sculpt you see that it matches the original 100%. It really surprises you when you first see it, it is still the most accurate Indy sculpt there has been.

CHEERS!

Indy was one of the first figures they did with the cast in color resin... sadly the end product looked very waxy and unrealistic. The proto was fully painted and definitely looked better... although the pics of it always looked kind of like a Cromagnon to me :huh Even though the sculpt never changed.

The SSC Indy head wasn't cast in coloured resin, it's vinyl like the HT heads are. I've handled enough vinyl and resin heads in my time to know the difference. We always knew that the finished product wasn't going to be as good as the prototype, every SSC release is like that. We bought the figure because there was no better off the shelf Indy available at the time.

HT do things to much higher standards and previous figures have shown that. It's because of this that it stands out more when these standards are not met.

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Yes the SS hat crown is a bit short, but it definately gets everything else right. The tighter pinch, the Cairo bash, and raiders turn to the brim are all perfect. Just should be a little taller

Thanks for that, I just went ahead and cast the hat. I'm going to increase the height of the crown part by about 1/2 the height of the ribbon (little under 1/8 inch) and see how it looks.

I love the German Indy sculpt as much as the regular Trevor sculpt, but it is oversize. Interested to see how this hat tweak helps the overall look. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I have the HT hat (obviously with tweaks also) as a possible backup.

Fine we lost the neck, but, we didn't lose the sculpted stubble, it's still there, you just have to strip the sculpt and repaint it and it's there.

The SSC Indy head wasn't cast in coloured resin, it's vinyl like the HT heads are. I've handled enough vinyl and resin heads in my time to know the difference.

My mistake... regarding the resin comment and wasn't aware the stubble was still there. I haven't seen a stripped sculpt, just repaints; too bad the sculpted stubble seemed to be ignored as the paint work looked very half-assed.

That it did, but, I think SSC knew we'd use their figure as the base for a bash, otherwise they would have developed a better body and may have done a better paint job. As it was Indy, they knew they'd have a guaranteed seller no matter what.

As this board will attest, there aren't all that many SSC figures that stay as they were when they came out of the box.

CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back