Hot Toys DX Bespin Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Sideshow has already updated their site with production pics of how their Chinese factory painters are helping to bring this awesome DX to life.

BespinLuke.png

I wonder how the Sideshow head would have looked if it was molded in the same material and same paint apps as Hot Toys?

Even when the Bespin figure came out it was a dissapointment... just has that awful "deer in the headlights" look that has plagued so many Sideshow figures. I've seen ones where just the eyes were repainted and it made a huge difference.

Still, the HT blows it away in every regard... but a case of apples and oranges considering the price difference between the two.

Although it is said how the proto did look much better... just look at the difference between these two Sideshow pics:
ls1.jpg
21271_press02-001.jpg

Looking at SSC production photo, it just looks to me like whoever took the picture could not have cared less about making the product look good.

Yeah, its really some shoddy work... just look at the left wrist; all twisted at crappy looking.

But even with hat you go from a nicely detailed and (pretty) lifelike paint to flat and boring.

I still remember the outrage over the collar. Then SS took some pics of it popped up and all were happy even though it was still not right. :lol

I still remember the outrage over the collar. Then SS took some pics of it popped up and all were happy even though it was still not right. :lol

:rotfl I remember this too.

BTW, was the proto the same HS or is it just the paintwork that makes it look so different. I can't actually remember.

I think some suggested the head was warped in production... giving it the kind of odd shape we ended up with. But I think the majority of the issue is just the terrible paint.

I've seen a few repaints that look pretty damn good, not HT quality... but still much better than the production figure.

you do know that they sculpted ANH Luke's face, and not ESP Luke's face (you know, when he had an accident and plastic surgery?)

I was always a litt;e bummed I never picked up or was able to get the Sideshow Bespin Luke. Now I am feeling pretty good about it ;)

I did order the new HT version though. I was trying not to pay any attention to it as I knew it was pricey for me but I did not realize all that you get. So I went for it. I think it is pretty amazing looking and can not wait to see it in person.

I think Andy's rejected sculpt is on par with Hot Toys. Too bad Lucasfilm rejected it.
luke_big1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah, it's a shame that LFL is so controlling, especially of stuff that looks great. I'm sure they do it so there will be future sales. If I could stop buying, I would. I'd love to because of the mentality of LFL.

Wow, that portrait is excellent!! These kinds of decisions just boggle the mind. :slap

Anyway, there's still time for HT tweaks though.. how ever unlikely that may or may not be. :pray:

Back