Hot Toys - DeLorean - Mod ideas & Resources

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it was a lot of work for him.

He sold 4 on ebay! I bought two of them about two month ago. Back then he wrote that he has 3d printed parts for more Mr. Fusions. He thought about to just sell the unfinished parts on ebay for a lower price. Again, that was two month ago!

My DeLorean arrived yesterday and i have already started the mods, even before applying the stickers or even removing all the film off the glass. First thing i did was remove one of the wheels to take it apart. I've cut out the center section, so i can install some LEDs behind the rim for the hover mode. I've simulated how it will look with some torches. The wheel can still be fitted to the car as normal for now.

del1.jpg

del2.jpg

del3.jpg

Second task was to cut channels in the flux bands for the EL wire, same as Tuvieja did with his one. I don't have any blue stuff at the moment, so fitted some green for the time being, just to test the fit.

del4.jpg

del5.jpg

del6.jpg

My original plan was to use EL tape for the whole width of the bands, but re-watching the film, it appears, 2 thin wires is correct. At full brightness, it appears as one.

del7.jpg

Great start, Marine Boy!

What mods are you planning beside the wheels and flux bands?

I'm going for the full hover conversion. I plan to copy the folding wheel mechanism from the 1/18 Sunstar DeLorean, but make it tighter and stronger, so it doesn't rattle around as much. I'm going to install micro servos for each wheel, so avoiding having to build a mechanical linkage that joins them all together. Lights on each wheel, the exhausts and flashing lights on the underside will come on automatically, when the wheels are down.

Also plan to add extra wiring bundles to the interior, build the Mr Fusion from scratch, add LEDs to the dash binnacle, time circuits, plutonium gauges and the 3 marker lights on each door. I also want to rewire the headlights, so i can have just 2 or all 4 on at a time.

A big job will be to drop the floorpan in the centre of the car. HT added all the hover conversion stuff to the underside, but kept the height of the floor the same as the standard car, thus reducing the interior space. That's why Doc doesn't fit in the car. I want to add about 1/2 inch extra height. At the same time, i'll add carpeting, push the seats further back and change the angle of the backrests. The seats are all wrong to try and compensate for the reduced height. Any figures put inside are lying down, not sitting up, so their necks are at the wrong angle, making them look odd. Also add pedals, handbrake lever, sunvisors and make the steering wheel tilt, so it's easier to get figures in and out.

I think that about covers it. Even if HT brought out a 2nd version, it will still have most of the faults listed above, so i'm not bothered now if they release it or not. Despite all that and the huge amount of work involved to upgrade it, it's still a very nice piece to have in one's collection.

Well, then....good luck for your project! I dont care about the HT part II DeLorean, too.

-----------------------------------------

Just a little test, how it looks:
rad2.jpg

Backwall is painted and weathered.

New flux capacitor board because i dont like the blinking hot toys one!

View attachment 331473

Hi BPBN, first off ,I really enjoy what you have done so far! Quick question, is the fire extinguisher and anything in the back interior wall secured by screws or are they secured by glue alone? I really want to pull out the extinguisher and two silver elbows. I want to add the aluminum box they sit on and make the elbows face the correct way. Thanks for any help!

All silver elbows, the fire extinguisher, the golden heatsink and the vertical cable (next to the flux, hard to get out) is glued in place. Everything else is secured by screws!

back.jpg

Hey guys I’m looking for the floor mats, can you help me to find them?

All silver elbows, the fire extinguisher, the golden heatsink and the vertical cable (next to the flux, hard to get out) is glued in place. Everything else is secured by screws!

View attachment 391123

Thank you!!

I modeled up a Mr Fusion, passed Shapeways inspection and is in production now. I Really want to convert into a flying Delorean. I plan to model/ print up two wheels (front and back) and i plan to mold/ cast them to save on printing prices!

Thank you!!

I modeled up a Mr Fusion, passed Shapeways inspection and is in production now. I Really want to convert into a flying Delorean. I plan to model/ print up two wheels (front and back) and i plan to mold/ cast them to save on printing prices!

I’ve been trying to find a mr. fusion to buy on Shapeways.

I’ve been trying to find a mr. fusion to buy on Shapeways.

I have to figure out how to post photos here, but ill post the finished printed Mr Fusion once I get it. Set to ship on the 12th of this month. If it looks good ill make it available on Shapeways

My 1/6th scale Mr Fusion came in today and it looks pretty good imo. I am going to tweak two things. 1. The red latch is currently two pieces. I had planned to manually drill holes to connect the two pieces, but I should be able to make the model with the holes to accept a rod for the hinge. 2. The Krupps coffee ground "cup" needs to have a post modeled on it to connect to the main Krupps body. Currently it fits perfect, but only once glued.
Overall the scale seems perfect. The main black base of Mr Fusion fits perfect over top the current nuclear reactor. I made a temp nuclear reactor cover with cardstock which ill later remake with aluminum sheet. I'll put these models for sale on Shapeways, unless anyone has any input for changes?
Tomorrow I plan to prime and better sand the model .
20180214_001941.jpg20180214_001644.jpg20180214_000810.jpg20180214_001030.jpg20180214_000834.jpg

I want! Can you snap a profile pic of the delorean with it attached? I want to see it from the side.

Back