Hot Toys Death Star Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoped there would be a welcome update on the DS Trooper front for a moment...

I just watched Imperial Cadet Deleted Scene from Solo movie. There is so many un this case rather to say “navy” troopers :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, if the theory is Howard Chan approves figures based on the feedback demand from conventions.
Where is my DST?:dunno

Death-Star-Navy-Trooper1.jpg

They are biding their time. The longer they hold out the more they’re gonna charge. Imagine, when first shown maybe $250?. Next year... $300?... $300+? :slap

This fig was first shown three years ago - it's nice to see people remember it and still want it so much.

It also calls into question this whole idea that HT previews figs to gauge fan interest. This fig got a ton of love right from the get go, and reappears on here frequently, and when it does, it gets a lot of posts. And there aren't many places globally where a company can evaluate fan interest in a possible 1/6 figure - this site would certainly be in the top 5 places for a company like HT to do that. So if HT is interested in gauging interest, you'd think they'd see it here.

My guess is the figure was associated with Solo in HT's eyes and was seen as a second-tier release after the Han and new troopers, but when they cut the scene where the DSTs were prominently seen, and the movie then underperformed, they got rid of the planned second tier and DST in particular. Yet... you'd think if Howard was the SW superfan everyone seems to think he is, he'd know this figure is very much an iconic OT figure that's much in demand.

Not much about HT's decisions make a whole lot of sense - they never produce stuff that everyone knows would be strong sellers (even big items like the Falcon cockpit) and yet produce bizarre protos like the power droid that you'd think would be so obviously niche as to be barely worthy of making a proto for. It's super frustrating that in an era where companies have lovefests with their customers via social media, that both SSC and HT remain total mysteries.

While the Gonk proto came out of nowhere for sure (as did Bespin Leia frankly), I'd have to disagree about "barely worth making". It's a painted plastic shell. No actor license to contend with, no tailoring, no accessories. It's something Hasbro could barely screw up. What they would lack in sales compared to a 1st tier choice, if priced right the margin could make up for it. I can't imagine it costs much to make.
If SS bounces on the 1/6 line, we need to support HT dipping into background characters if we ever want to see them. I wish the DST, Gonk AND white pauldron Sandtrooper would up for preorder this year.

This fig was first shown three years ago - it's nice to see people remember it and still want it so much.

It also calls into question this whole idea that HT previews figs to gauge fan interest. This fig got a ton of love right from the get go, and reappears on here frequently, and when it does, it gets a lot of posts. And there aren't many places globally where a company can evaluate fan interest in a possible 1/6 figure - this site would certainly be in the top 5 places for a company like HT to do that. So if HT is interested in gauging interest, you'd think they'd see it here.

My guess is the figure was associated with Solo in HT's eyes and was seen as a second-tier release after the Han and new troopers, but when they cut the scene where the DSTs were prominently seen, and the movie then underperformed, they got rid of the planned second tier and DST in particular. Yet... you'd think if Howard was the SW superfan everyone seems to think he is, he'd know this figure is very much an iconic OT figure that's much in demand.

Not much about HT's decisions make a whole lot of sense - they never produce stuff that everyone knows would be strong sellers (even big items like the Falcon cockpit) and yet produce bizarre protos like the power droid that you'd think would be so obviously niche as to be barely worthy of making a proto for. It's super frustrating that in an era where companies have lovefests with their customers via social media, that both SSC and HT remain total mysteries.

I would buy a Power Droid in a heartbeat.

They have a good handful of figures ready to go. DST, Baze, Tank Trooper and the Power Droid would all be most welcome.

I really desperately want that Skiff Lando too!

That long ago? Wow...
Hopefully it'll just materialize out of nowhere, one of those surprises HT likes to spring on collectors, like the ROTJ Stormtroopers.

While the Gonk proto came out of nowhere for sure (as did Bespin Leia frankly), I'd have to disagree about "barely worth making". It's a painted plastic shell. No actor license to contend with, no tailoring, no accessories. It's something Hasbro could barely screw up. What they would lack in sales compared to a 1st tier choice, if priced right the margin could make up for it. I can't imagine it costs much to make.
If SS bounces on the 1/6 line, we need to support HT dipping into background characters if we ever want to see them. I wish the DST, Gonk AND white pauldron Sandtrooper would up for preorder this year.

I would buy a Power Droid in a heartbeat.

They have a good handful of figures ready to go. DST, Baze, Tank Trooper and the Power Droid would all be most welcome.

I really desperately want that Skiff Lando too!

Oh, I'd buy it too (or multiples if they did an ESB version) but I just can't imagine power droids being huge sellers to more casual fans - most of us on here are pretty hardcore 1/6 SW fans and would buy almost any cooler 2nd or 3rd tier SW character. Power Droid is definteley more of a third tier character than second tier.

Maybe it's just my memory that's prejudicing me on this - I remember in the late 1970's seeing Kenner power droids everywhere at retail as major pegwarmers.

Back