Hot Toys Death Star Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work, Tali :clap

Good stuff man. He looks great.

Thanks, guys - another pic. I tried to get this one as good (and poseable) as the HT figure would have been - it's actually got the newer genuine-leather boots. It's a custom-made Endor rebel rifle, not the Sideshow weapon.

WYfSfi5.jpg

We need these guys to turn up in the Mandalorian if we ever hope to get this made. Maybe they?ll be in the Andor show.

Mando seems to be doing a ton of the fully helmeted Imperials but doesn't seem to be doing as much of the visible-face Imperial troopers. Hopefully that will change and this figure finally gets the green light.

I guess the fully helmeted heads do look coolest and also I guess the exposed-faces Imperials belong to a time when the Empire was more in control (you see them more in "Solo" that's leading up to OT era) and had a larger/deeper force. Maybe fully helmeted heads with faces covered really convey "you're in hostile territory" more than the caps and open-face helmets.

In the light of recent announcements of SW troopers absence of this piece is yet again very sad and frustrating ...

In the light of recent announcements of SW troopers absence of this piece is yet again very sad and frustrating ...

I don't believe this figure will ever be released anymore. The same with the second Sandtrooper, Snow Commander or the 1/4 Stormie. :(

I don't believe this figure will ever be released anymore. The same with the second Sandtrooper, Snow Commander or the 1/4 Stormie. :(

I think it is possible if he will appear in some SW series. Then chances are high again. So far it worked that way with Shore Trooper and Transport/Tank Trooper.

My expectations for this figure have gotten higher over the last few weeks. We?ve had a lot of background troopers from Mando and now a few troopers from Rogue One.

It?s also highly likely that we?ll see the DS trooper at some point in the Cassian show.

Don?t give up hope.

Personally I think it has something to do with the head sculpt. I don't think they have ever done a no-name actor sculpt for Star Wars / Disney before.

Maybe they don't have likeness rights for people other than the main actors ??

I could be totally wrong there. Could be several things though, also perceived popularity by HT ??

Personally I think it has something to do with the head sculpt. I don't think they have ever done a no-name actor sculpt for Star Wars / Disney before.

I could be totally wrong there. Could be several things though, also perceived popularity by HT ??

Exactly, it has everything to do with the headsculpt. It's just not cost-effective for them to make. The idea behind troopers is that they are affordable (both for them to make, and the buyer to purchase), able to have a quick turnaround from pre-order to production, and be tempting for the army-builder to purchase multiple of. Realistically how many people will double-dip on a trooper with only one headsculpt? Including a second headsculpt for alternate looks is probably also unrealistic.

This is the same reason we'll also likely never see a Rebel Fleet Trooper or Hoth Trooper.

The best chance we'll ever have at this figure is if a main character wears it as a disguise (e.g. Stormtrooper Han/Luke, Mudtrooper Han).

Exactly, it has everything to do with the headsculpt. It's just not cost-effective for them to make. The idea behind troopers is that they are affordable (both for them to make, and the buyer to purchase), able to have a quick turnaround from pre-order to production, and be tempting for the army-builder to purchase multiple of. Realistically how many people will double-dip on a trooper with only one headsculpt? Including a second headsculpt for alternate looks is probably also unrealistic.

This is the same reason we'll also likely never see a Rebel Fleet Trooper or Hoth Trooper.

The best chance we'll ever have at this figure is if a main character wears it as a disguise (e.g. Stormtrooper Han/Luke, Mudtrooper Han).

Dream crushers

To that same extent, they've sold TONS of figures lately with no headsculpts; doing one for the fans like this would be amazing. Please, overcharge us for the headsculpt and the control panel!

This is exactly what I thought as well for the case of Death Star trooper.

No idea of how the stipulations are regulated in Hot Toys's SW 1/6 license with Disney/LFL. But one possibility why don't Hot Toys just sell the entire body + outfit + helmet while the HS could be randomly customized/bought by customers.

This is exactly what I thought as well for the case of Death Star trooper.

No idea of how the stipulations are regulated in Hot Toys's SW 1/6 license with Disney/LFL. But one possibility why don't Hot Toys just sell the entire body + outfit + helmet while the HS could be randomly customized/bought by customers.

That's just way to "out of the box thinking" for Hot Toys ! :lol

Sideshow would have a baby as it would be supporting non-licensed headsculpts. It'd be great !! :lol

It's not a rights issue. You can't even tell whose head is under that helmet in the film, they just sculpted a generic face.

It has everything to do with the fact that

A) the timing isn't right
B) they don't think it will sell that much

As with everything, there is a limited factory capacity, why would they make a generic Death Star Trooper from ANH when they can make an armored character from a much more recent film, that will undoubtedly sell more? If you can spend $50,000 on production, would you make something that can net you $60,000 or $85,000? It's just like the stock market, if you have X amount to invest, do you put it on the sure thing, or do you take a risk?

The deck is stacked against the Death Star Trooper

I hope HT doesn't give us the one they showed because the helmet was too small anyway. They used that for Wicket.

HT would need to remake that helmet and that's likely too much work as the poster mentioned above. This will wait until more of those Death Star Troopers show up in a Mando episode or some other SW TV show. Its only a matter of (more) time.

It's not a rights issue. You can't even tell whose head is under that helmet in the film, they just sculpted a generic face.

It has everything to do with the fact that

A) the timing isn't right
B) they don't think it will sell that much

As with everything, there is a limited factory capacity, why would they make a generic Death Star Trooper from ANH when they can make an armored character from a much more recent film, that will undoubtedly sell more? If you can spend $50,000 on production, would you make something that can net you $60,000 or $85,000? It's just like the stock market, if you have X amount to invest, do you put it on the sure thing, or do you take a risk?

The deck is stacked against the Death Star Trooper

The only flaw in your logic is that the DST would probably sell more figures. I would buy three, as would many others. The DST was a 12 back Kenner figure. You underestimate the number of OT fans with lots of money they are willing to spend.

The only flaw in your logic is that the DST would probably sell more figures. I would buy three, as would many others. The DST was a 12 back Kenner figure. You underestimate the number of OT fans with lots of money they are willing to spend.

Oh ... you're right, I overlooked that. It's much more likely that Hot Toys is just stupid, and doesn't know what figures are hot sellers.

Back