1/6 Hot Toys BvS: Dawn of Justice-Wonder Woman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder this also. The UE actually was well received by many critics who disliked the theatrical from what I recall. It was shown in a few select theaters for a night last June when it got released.

The theatrical made $873 million, but I do wonder if perhaps it would have potentially gotten to the billion mark had they just showed the UE from the start.

My hunch is it would have gone comfortably past $1b. Hopefully JL manages that. :)

I couldn't agree more with pretty much everything said. The Germans not speaking German was noticable and even the "German" accents were pretty bad. Small nitpick on an otherwise stellar movie.

I agree that BvSUE made BvS a much better movie, but I can understand why some would think it's not a "proper movie" as the extra content would have made the movie impractical in the theaters due to the running time. To me though, the UE just filled out so much more of the story and makes explains parts that were confusing in the theatrical release. Sure, if you hated Eisenberg's Lex in the theatrical release, you will hate him just as much in the UE, but at least the UE explains his motivations better as the theatrical version didn't explain at all why he would create Doomsday. Should BvS have had more action scenes? I wish it had, but they needed to fill in a TON of backstory in a way that wasn't pure exposition.

I also think MoS is a grossly underrated movie. Time will tell if I ultimately think it is better/worse than WW. I loved them both, although I left WW with a better impression than I did when I left MoS. MoS grew on me over time (and continues to).

Yeah the BvS UE definitely flows a lot better and works better as a movie... but it still suffers from the same underlying problem in my mind, which is that the central conflict between Batman and Superman just never feels terribly believable or convincing (feeling just as forced to me as the conflict in Civil War), and as the audience it's hard to get emotionally invested in the idea of either one truly hurting or destroying the other in battle. Not to mention the frustration over watching a Superman who doesn't seem to have grown or matured at all since the end of MOS.

Could be worse. Could have devolved like Goku has in Dragon Ball Super.

Superman isn't a formula that changes often anyway, is it? Besides, let's not forget the whole Zod thing in the first film. They were probably treading lightly this time around.

When I hear that the UE is too long for theaters I think about Gone With The Wind. When you adjust for inflation, it's the top grossing movie of all time. It is so long that it literally has an intermission.
I think BvS UE would've grossed more in theaters than the standard edition. They could've had an intermission, or have split it into two movies that released in the same year (like the Matrix sequels).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more with pretty much everything said. The Germans not speaking German was noticable and even the "German" accents were pretty bad. Small nitpick on an otherwise stellar movie.

I agree that BvSUE made BvS a much better movie, but I can understand why some would think it's not a "proper movie" as the extra content would have made the movie impractical in the theaters due to the running time. To me though, the UE just filled out so much more of the story and makes explains parts that were confusing in the theatrical release. Sure, if you hated Eisenberg's Lex in the theatrical release, you will hate him just as much in the UE, but at least the UE explains his motivations better as the theatrical version didn't explain at all why he would create Doomsday. Should BvS have had more action scenes? I wish it had, but they needed to fill in a TON of backstory in a way that wasn't pure exposition.

I also think MoS is a grossly underrated movie. Time will tell if I ultimately think it is better/worse than WW. I loved them both, although I left WW with a better impression than I did when I left MoS. MoS grew on me over time (and continues to).

Wonder Woman gave me the same feeling of hope that I had growing up with Superman the movie. I liked that it made a woman strong without trying to belittle men. She just knew that she had the power to help and that it was her responsibility to do so. They could have gone the "girl power" approach, but they knew the character is more than that.

Wonder Woman gave me the same feeling of hope that I had growing up with Superman the movie. I liked that it made a woman strong without trying to belittle men. She just knew that she had the power to help and that it was her responsibility to do so. They could have gone the "girl power" approach, but they knew the character is more than that.

Yeah! Speaking as someone that identifies as a feminist, I find the "girl power" approach really... um, juvenile? Like, it was fine back in the 90s when it was the Spice Girls catering to 10-year-old girls, because it was simplistic, but for an older/modern audience you gotta have more nuance than that. And just like you shouldn't have to tear down other woman to raise another woman up, this movie understands that you don't need to bring male characters down in order to show that a female character is smart/strong/funny/etc.

And they didn't have to spell it out either! They could've gone the Eowyn "I am no man!" route during the No Man's Land scene, and they didn't, because they trusted the audience to get it without having to shove what they were doing in our faces.

(Of course, it was still just plain satisfying to watch a super-powered woman on screen kicking people through walls and stuff, haha. I haven't felt this thrilled watching a superhero since Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

When I hear that the UE is too long for theaters I think about Gone With The Wind. When you adjust for inflation, it's the top grossing movie of all time. It is so long that it literally has an intermission.
I think BvS UE would've grossed more in theaters than the standard edition. They could've had an intermission, or have split it into two movies that released in the same year (like the Matrix sequels).

Doubtful it would have grossed more. For one thing a longer film equates to the theater not having as many showings per day. Also less casual fans are going to go see a movie that's over three hours. Modern audiences don't have the patience for that. Plus while the ultimate edition is a better film it still has a lot of the fundamental problems of the theatrical cut. Things are fleshed out more and make more sense but there are still a lot of issues.

Yeah! Speaking as someone that identifies as a feminist, I find the "girl power" approach really... um, juvenile? Like, it was fine back in the 90s when it was the Spice Girls catering to 10-year-old girls, because it was simplistic, but for an older/modern audience you gotta have more nuance than that. And just like you shouldn't have to tear down other woman to raise another woman up, this movie understands that you don't need to bring male characters down in order to show that a female character is smart/strong/funny/etc.

And they didn't have to spell it out either! They could've gone the Eowyn "I am no man!" route during the No Man's Land scene, and they didn't, because they trusted the audience to get it without having to shove what they were doing in our faces.

(Of course, it was just plain satisfying in general to watch a super-powered woman on screen kicking people through walls and stuff, haha. I haven't felt this thrilled watching a superhero thing since Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Well said :clap

Agreed. I love seeing powerful characters no matter the gender. I really do enjoy seeing superhero women. I have no doubt that Batgirl will be great. I really hope that they do Brainiac for Man of Steel 2 and bring Supergirl into the fold. Injustice 2 handled her character very well

BvS didn't have the staying power of GWTW. GWTW was in theaters for four years when it came out and has been rereleased 8 times.

This is up next right? I mean HQ or Ripley isn't releasing before Wonder Woman, right?

(Of course, it was still just plain satisfying to watch a super-powered woman on screen kicking people through walls and stuff, haha. I haven't felt this thrilled watching a superhero since Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Two good posts, +1 to both! :duff

Now where's my WW fig, Hot Toys?!? :impatient:

Just in case I do miss out on this figure, should I look at the bright side that they'll probably release a Wonder Woman version of well Wonder Woman? It'll probably come with that cloak too so I can pretend she's just about to go into No Man's Land

Just in case I do miss out on this figure, should I look at the bright side that they'll probably release a Wonder Woman version of well Wonder Woman? It'll probably come with that cloak too so I can pretend she's just about to go into No Man's Land

I'm hoping for that. I'm gonna wait for a WW, or even JL version. I like that those should be able to holster the sword behind her right shoulder so it can be posed like she's taking it out behind her. Hopefully with those potential figures the shield will also be able to hang on her back, like we see her do in WW.

Back