Hot Toys Bruce Wayne/Batman (2011 Toy Con Ex) review + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Bale sculpt but HATE the fact that its neckless.

Yeah HT's preferance for neckless heads is grating on me these days. Feckin Enterbay went and did it on their T-800 aswell. It just seems contradictory to aim for such realism in the headsculpts only to hamper them with articulation seams in such a prominent region. And for what benefit? What do you get that the joint hidden at the base of the neck wouldn't get you?

It does help with articulation. But I do prefer doing without it. Same with torso... I hate the torso split on shirtless figures... thank god Bruce was all one sculpt with slight articulation hidden inside.

Figures with all in one head/neck can look left, right, up and down and diagonally up and down. What more does one need? What extra motion does a seperate head and neck get you? Having an ugly seam and even gaps if you move the head a certain way on say the HT T2 T-800 is not a worthwhile tradeoff for any questionable benefit there may be doing it the way they did it.

Last edited:
They can look much more "up" and "down" without looking stiff-necked. But again, it's not enough to be worth it.

Figures that have muscle bodies cannot have the neck sculpted to the head (T2 T-800)... the joint has to be somewhere to move! If the T2 T-800's head was sculpted to the neck, then the cut would have to be at the base of his neck (which would ruin the look of the muscle body as you would see an even uglier cut at his clavicle).

Well the T2 T800 has a shirt so wouldn't matter, the joint would be hidden. That figure desperately needs a sculpted neck

:lecture

An ugly gap at the clavicle is irrelevant unless you plan to display him naked, an option which I wouldn't mind doing without considering theres joints everywhere else anyway. But on figures like Bruce Wayne neckless heads are utterly pointless. And I'd argue that they look just as 'stiff necked' when looking up or down since the the neck muscles cannot move with the head as they would a real person. So as Dominishin agrees the compromise just isn't worth it.

Figures with all in one head/neck can look left, right, up and down and diagonally up and down. What more does one need? What extra motion does a seperate head and neck get you? Having an ugly seam and even gaps if you move the head a certain way on say the HT T2 T-800 is not a worthwhile tradeoff for any questionable benefit there may be doing it the way they did it.

Well it does improve articulation. The human head can move at the base of the skull, and it can add a lot of character to a pose.
Here are two quick examples I just took to show what I mean. The poses are of course extreme examples, but they stand nonetheless. These poses are impossible with a solid neck.

IMG_3367_small.jpg

IMG_3368_small.jpg

I agree that some figures don't need this point of articulation for the sake of aesthetics though. For this Joker though, I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

In fairness I totally forgot about that kind of movement. But as you say, unnecessary on many characters - such as a Terminator unless you want to make Arnie look like a curious puppy.

In fairness I totally forgot about that kind of movement. But as you say, unnecessary on many characters - such as a Terminator unless you want to make Arnie look like a curious puppy.

Actually, a-dev, look at your sig. I don't think that can be achieved without a neckless head. There are pro's and con's to both, of course. I tend to just work with what I have and haven't really been upset with either set up.

It could be approximated close enough. I'd be satisfied turning the head and angling it down a bit. PERS would help there too if only they can get it to look right.

Sooooo, it turns out that my boot is broken too. I've never noticed any defects until last night when I was moving around some things and the foot was wobbling. Oh well, doesnt bother me at all he still stands fine soooo. :lol

Back