Hot toys BB-8 & BB-9E

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had just BB-8 on pre-order but I decided to cancel it a while back. I sort of want it still but had a few too many orders and it didn't make the cut. Still a good looking figure though.

Received my BB-8 and BB-9e figures. Overall, nice...

28463311047_417be5ba4b_b.jpg

But not happy with the paint application on BB-8s head. I'll likely contact Sideshow.

43332201611_500a3ca6db_c.jpg

Hot toys BB-8 & BB-9E

What’s wrong with it?

If you’re referring to the oil drip that looks pretty consistent with the other production versions.

34348114_10155531373392344_4008178860628639744_n.jpg

Re: Hot toys BB-8 & BB-9E

What’s wrong with it?

If you’re referring to the oil drip that looks pretty consistent with the other production versions.

That's.. interesting. Looks bad, but if it's normal, I'll leave it be.

Received my BB-8 and BB-9e figures. Overall, nice...

28463311047_417be5ba4b_b.jpg

But not happy with the paint application on BB-8s head. I'll likely contact Sideshow.

43332201611_500a3ca6db_c.jpg

Mine also has the thick black line under the small eye and if you examine the directions it can be seen in the photos; looks like it was done with a Sharpie. AND the panel under the small eye is missing the orange color...first HT in a while, I'm a bit disappointed with it.

Yes, that oil drip is not visible in the movie. It's weird. I thought it's a crease or line at first.

Agreed, it's so poorly done; the way BB-8's head moves I doubt it would look anything like that in real life.

From what I can tell the TFA version or both has the tiniest spot of weathering underneath that eye. But it's in no way like an oil drip.
bb-8-star-wars-the-force-awakens-japanese-158304.jpg

Anyhow, in full disclosure I sold my TFA BB-8 in anticipation of the two-pack, got the two-pack, then tracked down another TFA BB-8. Prefer the weathering mostly. I didn't notice the oil drip in person but under the detolf lights the orange looked a little bright. BB-9E is really well done.

From what I can tell the TFA version or both has the tiniest spot of weathering underneath that eye. But it's in no way like an oil drip.
bb-8-star-wars-the-force-awakens-japanese-158304.jpg

Anyhow, in full disclosure I sold my TFA BB-8 in anticipation of the two-pack, got the two-pack, then tracked down another TFA BB-8. Prefer the weathering mostly. I didn't notice the oil drip in person but under the detolf lights the orange looked a little bright. BB-9E is really well done.

That's very reassuring Ton Ton :lol I decided to stay with my TFA BB8. Love the weathered look of anything Star Wars. Colouring is fine for me. People see him on the shelf and know immediately what character it is.

I guess my OCD midiclorian count is lower than others :lol

I thought I’d care about the extra arms and gadgets but I don’t. I think the only thing that would have made me pick TLJ version would be if they’d done body lights. I guess that’s the last thing we get in the Episode IX Poe/BB-8 two pack.

Had to go back quite a ways to find this thread. :lol. What’s the opinion on BB-8 from those who own this version?

Sort of thinking about ordering from Timewalker as it’s like $77 currently before shipping. Works out to be like $93 all together, but I’d maybe have it shipped later when I could qualify for free shipping.

Hot toys BB-8 & BB-9E

I like the TFA one better. The brighter orange on this one felt cheap in comparison, and the seams appeared a bit more prominent too. Extra gadgets are nice but not at the expense of the overall look of the figure.

Little late on that since the sale is probably passed but I agree completely on the fact the TFA version is the better looking figure. He may be a little less accurate but the paint job is a lot more Star Wars authentic and weathered, I think. Little things like the oil drip are done better on the OG too.

Yeah, I wound up just passing on it. Seems like there’s a lot meh opinions on BB-8, which is unfortunate as I’d like to add a version of the character to my collection. Seems like neither release has nailed the droid yet. Hopefully there’s a definitive version for Episode IX.

Yeah, I wound up just passing on it. Seems like there’s a lot meh opinions on BB-8, which is unfortunate as I’d like to add a version of the character to my collection. Seems like neither release has nailed the droid yet. Hopefully there’s a definitive version for Episode IX.

Agreed. They really need to add lights to the body to bring it all home. They were able to do it on BB-9E so hopefully they can figure it out for BB-8 the next go round. Maybe a two pack when they finally release Poe.

Back