Hot Toys Battle Angel Alita

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened up my Rollerball version, and unfortunately the whole thing is kind of a mess. The armor looks super cheap and rubbery, the chest piece is too tight to properly attach, and one of the leg armors too tight to slide up her leg all the way. The upper torso constantly pops off when you pose it, and the ankle joints are super loose as well.

The balloon-sized head is nicely painted, and works fine as a generic amine Alita, but I just don't see any Salazar in it whatsoever. And the hair piece is absolutely hideous.

Sigh, this thing is going to take a lot of work to fix.

Just opened up my Rollerball version, and unfortunately the whole thing is kind of a mess. The armor looks super cheap and rubbery, the chest piece is too tight to properly attach, and one of the leg armors too tight to slide up her leg all the way. The upper torso constantly pops off when you pose it, and the ankle joints are super loose as well.

The balloon-sized head is nicely painted, and works fine as a generic amine Alita, but I just don't see any Salazar in it whatsoever. And the hair piece is absolutely hideous.

Yikes. I wish I hadn’t paid my invoice at this point. The figure is pretty expensive compared to the hot toys one. I’ve seen a few hot toys alita’s sell for just $20 more than this set and it’s far superior even with the sculpted hair.

I’m still debating on keeping it or keep the armor only and selling the rest. The motorball outfit is really cool but I don’t think I have the space to display them both at the same time anyways.

I was really hoping this release was gonna be bit better. I expected atleast a decent wig and for the armor to look metallic like the promo images. The soft plastic breaks the illusion. I would’ve been fine with it being non removable armor. Made of hard plastic with a shiny plastic for a better aesthetic.

Did PlayToy make a new sculpt or do you think it’s a recast but painted very differently from Hot Toys’s?

I think the Mr Toys head has the worst likeness but I like the paint application better. And their wig is much better integrated with the head and better quality hair overall.

Last edited:
Did PlayToy make a new sculpt or do you think it’s a recast but painted very differently from Hot Toys’s?

I think the Mr Toys head has the worst likeness but I like the paint application better. And their wig is much better integrated with the head and better quality hair overall.
It's definitely a new sculpt as it's far bigger. A recast like all the ones on ebay would have been a bit smaller than HT.

I think this review just confirmed all my concerns I had with the figure. It’s a shame the body lost so much of it’s articulation.

The motorball version is much better than the fighting version. As it hides the hair/headsculpt and poses with her skating around won’t be the hardest to achieve. If you bought the fighting version as an alternative for the hot toys one you’re really out of luck.

Can’t help but wonder how the headsculpt would look with a repaint and a decent wig. The eyes look a little small to me, smaller than hot toys.

Last edited:

A few of the reviews I watched mentioned using a hairdryer to properly attach all the parts. It might help you with getting the armor on.

View attachment 675085

MrToys head fits as well

Thanks for the tip, I bought 2 of the Mr. Toys sculpts back in 2020/2021. Their eyes looks much better than Play Toys.
The only problem - I forgot where I stored the sculpts. :slap

Outside of the 1:4 scale Prime 1 statue, this Play Toy set is the only alternative to add a roller ball Alita.

It looks like they did a good job recasting the HT body and the paint seems decent too.

Though, I kinda wish they offered the motorball armor as a set by itself for those who would prefer to put it on the original figure.

It looks like they did a good job recasting the HT body and the paint seems decent too.

Though, I kinda wish they offered the motorball armor as a set by itself for those who would prefer to put it on the original figure.
If you look at reviews online you can see that the body lost a lot of articulation. None of the joints quite fit together as well as the original because it was a little warped when it got recast

So I secured my bby girl today. Didnt have much time so more pics and stuff tomorrow.

First impressions are surprisingly very good. I was very sceptical of this figure but it’s not bad at all. There’s a lot of value here, three full outfits (robo, leathery and motorball) and they all look very good on her.

The reproduction of the hot toys body is very impressive. The hot toys one looks ever so slightly better paint wise. But even side by side it’s hard to tell any difference between the two when it comes to appearance. There’s barely been any shrinkage, the two bodies stand about the same height which I did not expect.

Despite a review on youtube mentioning how bad the articulation is compared to hot toys. I actually found it to be identical. See pics below for comparisons. Arms go out as much as hot toys. Legs go out as much as hot toys. The only real difference is that the feet feel a little loose so it’s harder for her to stand (only an issue with the feet, not the rollerblades) and the wrist and feetpegs are a bit more visible than on hot toys. The review mentioned the joints were hard to move, but moving her limbs feels as good as hot toys’s body to me and she holds poses well.

The “leather” clothes are great overall. The printing on them is not as detailed as hot toys but if you didn’t have hot toys to compare to nobody would complain about it.

The motorball armor uses a pretty genius button system to attach the chest armor to the body. I found it surprisingly easy to put the armor on. Someone here mentioned they couldnt get the armor to fit. My guess is that you have the thigh armor on the wrong way. The straps go at the bottom, not at the top. I made the same mistake initially.

The headsculpt pales in comparison to hot toys. Skin detail isn’t quite there. Although hot toys’s sculpt is very pretty I’ve always found the likeness a little off. The likeness in the sculpt on PlayToy is a bit better I’d say. But the paint application just isn’t quite there and her massive forehead makes her look alienesque and unappealing. The eyes on hot toys look a lot better, more lifelike.

I would not display this headsculpt on its own. But with the helmet on it’s serviceable and it looks pretty nice.

The ball is an awesome detailed accessory and I like that she can hold it with three fingers like a bowling ball. The final look with the armor on looks awesome and complements hot toys Alita nicely.

Now for the cons,
- headsculpt on its own looks awful with the gigantuous forehead.
- her head is a tad bit oversized and the neck is a tad too long. Easily hidden with a pose tho.
- The magnet on her wigcap does NOTHING. I dont even think they make contact at all because the smallest movement makes her wig fly off. I used some sticky tack to keep it in place.
- Wig is low quality, hair is too long.
- A lot of details in the motorball armor are softened compared to the promo.
- Paint on the armor is not nearly as good as shown in the promo, they didnt use reflective metallic paint giving it a bit of a matte plasticy look which is a little disappointing.

Overall a good figure! 7/10

—————
More pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7503.jpeg
    IMG_7503.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7504.jpeg
    IMG_7504.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7505.jpeg
    IMG_7505.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7506.jpeg
    IMG_7506.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
So I secured my bby girl today. Didnt have much time so more pics and stuff tomorrow.

First impressions are surprisingly very good. I was very sceptical of this figure but it’s not bad at all. There’s a lot of value here, three full outfits (robo, leathery and motorball) and they all look very good on her.

The reproduction of the hot toys body is very impressive. The hot toys one looks ever so slightly better paint wise. But even side by side it’s hard to tell any difference between the two when it comes to appearance. There’s barely been any shrinkage, the two bodies stand about the same height which I did not expect.

Despite a review on youtube mentioning how bad the articulation is compared to hot toys. I actually found it to be identical. See pics below for comparisons. Arms go out as much as hot toys. Legs go out as much as hot toys. The only real difference is that the feet feel a little loose so it’s harder for her to stand (only an issue with the feet, not the rollerblades) and the wrist and feetpegs are a bit more visible than on hot toys. The review mentioned the joints were hard to move, but moving her limbs feels as good as hot toys’s body to me and she holds poses well.

The “leather” clothes are great overall. The printing on them is not as detailed as hot toys but if you didn’t have hot toys to compare to nobody would complain about it.

The motorball armor uses a pretty genius button system to attach the chest armor to the body. I found it surprisingly easy to put the armor on. Someone here mentioned they couldnt get the armor to fit. My guess is that you have the thigh armor on the wrong way. The straps go at the bottom, not at the top. I made the same mistake initially.

The headsculpt pales in comparison to hot toys. Skin detail isn’t quite there. Although hot toys’s sculpt is very pretty I’ve always found the likeness a little off. The likeness in the sculpt on PlayToy is a bit better I’d say. But the paint application just isn’t quite there and her massive forehead makes her look alienesque and unappealing. The eyes on hot toys look a lot better, more lifelike.

I would not display this headsculpt on its own. But with the helmet on it’s serviceable and it looks pretty nice.

The ball is an awesome detailed accessory and I like that she can hold it with three fingers like a bowling ball. The final look with the armor on looks awesome and complements hot toys Alita nicely.

Now for the cons,
- headsculpt on its own looks awful with the gigantuous forehead.
- her head is a tad bit oversized and the neck is a tad too long. Easily hidden with a pose tho.
- The magnet on her wigcap does NOTHING. I dont even think they make contact at all because the smallest movement makes her wig fly off. I used some sticky tack to keep it in place.
- Wig is low quality, hair is too long.
- A lot of details in the motorball armor are softened compared to the promo.
- Paint on the armor is not nearly as good as shown in the promo, they didnt use reflective metallic paint giving it a bit of a matte plasticy look which is a little disappointing.

Overall a good figure! 7/10

—————
More pictures tomorrow.
Thank you for the detailed comparison, it certainly tempered some of my trepidations.

Last edited:
IMG_7510.jpeg

Got home late from an event. Stayed up till 1am to futz some more with her. Finally happy with the pose. This figure is a hit! Can’t wait to put the trinity together: daftoys hot toys and Playtoy in the display.

Now I need to sleep though 🥱

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-29-14-06-00-56_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-29-14-06-00-56_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 0
Back