Hot Toys Battle Angel Alita

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the armor looks super cheap and plasticky, and the likeness is pretty much gone now, but I think it might have some potential with a repaint. I'm really regretting selling my second HT figure now, after seeing how much better that head looks on this.

I paid off my invoice earlier today but already regretting it. The hot toys version already has so much great shelf presence in her regular outfit and the headsculpt is incredible. Having a second Alita in a sports outfit feels a bit redundant.. The headsculpt is so soft in detail it’s very third party looking. Actually same for the entire armor. It has a cheap look and feel to it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad figure at all. And pretty good value for the price. But we already got the hot toys version that’s superior. For me personally I don’t think it’s good enough to justify having two Alita in the collection. Hopefully I’ll like it more in hand.

Maybe I’ll just keep all the motorball armor to use on the hot toys body (if that’s possible) and sell off the rest.

Last edited:
i think HT paint looks too realistic the 3rd parties look closer to cgi. i dont know what details are lacking you guys talking about.

i assume this set you can set her up as normal figure or motorball?

i think HT paint looks too realistic the 3rd parties look closer to cgi. i dont know what details are lacking you guys talking about.

i assume this set you can set her up as normal figure or motorball?

Motorball only if you bought that particular set. The other one is basically the hot toys outfit with rooted hair.

Motorball only if you bought that particular set. The other one is basically the hot toys outfit with rooted hair.
I think all the motorball pieces come off and you’d be left with the hot toys outfit. And then there’s the naked robot body underneath as well.

in this pic you can see that the motorball armor is seperate from the figure itself. So you get the exact same figure just with additional armor. And I think both versions were around the same price despite this fact making buying the normal version obsolete.

Their normal version doesn’t come with the motorball outfit but comes with a headsculpt with the blood marks instead. Wish it came with two headsculpts.

Attachments

• IMG_7427.png
    IMG_7427.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I wonder if applying some glossy spray to the armor would make it look a bit more like metal.

I think all the motorball pieces come off and you’d be left with the hot toys outfit. And then there’s the naked robot body underneath as well.
motorball cost around $50 more than normal iirc. still too expensive esp when taking pleather into the equation.

I wonder if applying some glossy spray to the armor would make it look a bit more like metal.
if you want to add some gloss you can try aerospace 303 or meguire hyper dressing and dilute it to your liking 1:1 for gloss 1:4 for matte.

getting compatible clear gloss with soft plastic can be tricky as some will turn slightly sticky over time.

in this pic you can see that the motorball armor is seperate from the figure itself. So you get the exact same figure just with additional armor. And I think both versions were around the same price despite this fact making buying the normal version obsolete.

Their normal version doesn’t come with the motorball outfit but comes with a headsculpt with the blood marks instead. Wish it came with two headsculpts.
I rescind my comment you are correct!

The left shoulder armor does not look like its moveable. This will severely limit the movement of the left arm because the left shoulder armor is quite big

Their normal version doesn’t come with the motorball outfit but comes with a headsculpt with the blood marks instead. Wish it came with two headsculpts
I think the knee armor is glued to the suit for the motorball armor. Check ou the video

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1z...ck&vd_source=2596941ecbfc5da606029bea9a42ec11

Just received the Play Toy Battle Angel Deluxe set in today’s post from Giantoy and thought I’d share a few quick comparison shots.

I’ve had the Hot Toys Alita on display in my collection since it was first released – love the figure, but it’s not without a few issues; mainly the sculpted hair and overly darkened eyes.

I was thrilled when Play Toys announced their “rollerblade” Sport/Fighting 2-pack deluxe set almost a couple years ago. I wasn’t expecting anything near Hot Toys quality, but wow, it’s really well done. Both figures looks great and I might argue that Play Toys captured a better general likeness to the onscreen character of Alita. Similar to Hot Toys, it’s not perfect, but Play Toys really honed in on something that I believe was missing in the HT sculpt - head shape, eye separation/iris color and rooted hair. The rooted hair piece attachment definitely could’ve benefited from better engineering, but it works okay. I think once time is spent styling the hair, it’ll improve the appearance even more.

Of course, everyone is going to have a different take away about this new Alita headsculpt, but I personally found something very satisfying about this deluxe set.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    740.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2831.jpeg
    IMG_2831.jpeg
    818.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2829.jpeg
    IMG_2829.jpeg
    608.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2826.jpeg
    IMG_2826.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2801.jpeg
    IMG_2801.jpeg
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
Just received the Play Toy Battle Angel Deluxe set in today’s post from Giantoy and thought I’d share a few quick comparison shots.

I’ve had the Hot Toys Alita on display in my collection since it was first released – love the figure, but it’s not without a few issues; mainly the sculpted hair and overly darkened eyes.

I was thrilled when Play Toys announced their “rollerblade” Sport/Fighting 2-pack deluxe set almost a couple years ago. I wasn’t expecting anything near Hot Toys quality, but wow, it’s really well done. Both figures looks great and I might argue that Play Toys captured a better general likeness to the onscreen character of Alita. Similar to Hot Toys, it’s not perfect, but Play Toys really honed in on something that I believe was missing in the HT sculpt - head shape, eye separation/iris color and rooted hair. The rooted hair piece attachment definitely could’ve benefited from better engineering, but it works okay. I think once time is spent styling the hair, it’ll improve the appearance even more.

Of course, everyone is going to have a different take away about this new Alita headsculpt, but I personally found something very satisfying about this deluxe set.
Thanks for the comparison! The million dollar question- can the rooted hair piece be used on the HT sculpt?

The main things standing out to me are the gigantic forehead and the wig looking very low quality. Hopefully some hair product can make the hair look more cohesive and voluminous. Both these problems cant be seen with the helmet on and I’d argue the headsculpt looks by far the best like that.

The main things standing out to me are the gigantic forehead and the wig looking very low quality. Hopefully some hair product can make the hair look more cohesive and voluminous. Both these problems cant be seen with the helmet on and I’d argue the headsculpt looks by far the best like that.

@niekgrijz - I agree that the helmet elevates the sculpt. Absolutely. The weakest issue is the hair and how it rest on the forehead out of the box. I haven’t used hair product yet, but only spritzed some water on the hair doing a bit of a comb over. It certainly helps, but using hair product may be a better route.

Also, the Play Toy face would likely pop a bit more with a slightly warmer skin tone and perhaps a smidge more mascara around the eyes.

Here’s photo just using water on the hair and a warm light fill to illustrate what I mean about the warmer tones.

Attachments

• IMG_2862.jpeg
    IMG_2862.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the comparison! The million dollar question- can the rooted hair piece be used on the HT sculpt?
@skizzoid - not as is, but doable. I’m sure with some effort, one could modify the rooted Play Toy hair scalp to fit the HT head and make it look more natural than the plastic mushroom top HT gave us.

Back