Hot Toys Batman Returns 1992 vs Batman and Bruce Wayne Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halbert

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I was wondering why would someone want to purchase the 1992 Batman Returns figure instead of buying the set with Bruce Wayne? Prices do not look that much different, why not spend a few more bucks and get the set?

Sorry for the dumb sounding question.

The Bruce Wayne figure is also not the finest work from Hot Toys in my opinion...

Yup, I can't speak for everyone but from my POV display place is limited and I wan't every figure to be one I love. An average Bruce Wayne sculpt wouldn't be that so I'm just looking for the single Batman figure. Not even sure I'll get that though if they don't make a Returns Catwoman display with him.

unless I'm wrong, seems that prices between the two are not that far off

From SS site, Batman alone was $220 and Batman with Bruce Wayne was $345.

The Bruce head is another HT stunt double. Having had the set since it came out and knowing what I would think of it after having it, I would of gotten just the single figure.

Maybe the prices have dropped on the 2 pack now but initially there was enough of a difference as to make it not worthwhile considering

1) the crap likeness to Keaton on the Wayne head
2) the outfit not being particularly interesting
3) the fact I'd never display the torn cowl look due to aforementioned crap Wayne likeness and because I was only getting one Batman

When it was announced the headsculpt definitely had room for improvement. I think the tux was what people didn't like the most. It was a reuse of the Leslie figure and people wanted to skip it and maybe get the Bruce Wayne headsculpt loose on EBay or something.

I actually ended up buying the double set twice as I got the second one cheap in a closing down sale. As mentioned the Keaton likeness could be better but it will do til a better sculpt comes along. Got the unmasked look I wanted and added a Sean Connery sculpt to the second Wayne body for an easy Bond bash.

IMG_2523.jpgIMG_2828.jpg

When it was announced the headsculpt definitely had room for improvement. I think the tux was what people didn't like the most. It was a reuse of the Leslie figure and people wanted to skip it and maybe get the Bruce Wayne headsculpt loose on EBay or something.

I agree with the tux also being an issue for me I just do not think of a tuxedo as being representative of Bruce Wayne as the only figure of him on my shelf. He spends some time in both movies with a black turtle neck which would have been good...even a suit would have worked...but a tux? I think they may have confused Bruce Wayne with James Bond...

I actually ended up buying the double set twice as I got the second one cheap in a closing down sale. As mentioned the Keaton likeness could be better but it will do til a better sculpt comes along. Got the unmasked look I wanted and added a Sean Connery sculpt to the second Wayne body for an easy Bond bash.

View attachment 315185

Hmm, I like the look of all this though

Keaton is not nor will ever be Bruce Wayne. I don't need to have a reminder of the travesty of Keaton being cast as Bruce. Maybe many others think the same way.

Keaton is not nor will ever be Bruce Wayne. I don't need to have a reminder of the travesty of Keaton being cast as Bruce. Maybe many others think the same way.

KYS

IMG_5199.JPG

I was wondering why would someone want to purchase the 1992 Batman Returns figure instead of buying the set with Bruce Wayne? Prices do not look that much different, why not spend a few more bucks and get the set?

Sorry for the dumb sounding question.

Because the Bruce Wayne sculpt sucked and Hot Toys had to be conniving dicks by making the torn cowl an exclusive when it should have been with the single. There was a prototype that was much better but for some reason it never saw the light of day.

Original on the left, the abomination on the right.

myphoto.jpg

Hot Toys cheaped out, plain and simple.

The single Batman is more desirable because it has less flaws compared to the two pack and the $220 price tag was a bit comforting when it first came out. It sold out quickly before the two pack because people wanted a Returns Batman and could get it without the ugly Bruce Wayne sculpt. I'm also going to assume they made less of the single Batman as opposed to the Batman/Bruce Wayne two pack (ala Captain America/Steve Rogers vs. single stealth suit).

Prices are getting closer on the secondary market because A.) the single Batman has been sold out for 6 months and is more desirable and B.) most people don't want to take the dive and buy the two pack when the Bruce Wayne doesn't look anything like Keaton. The two pack has sold out though in just under a year, on Sideshow Collectibles and in Hong Kong anyway. Parts being broken down from Asia have also ceased so the prices on both will probably climb higher (see DX 09 Batman, DX 08 Joker and the Batmobile).

If Hot Toys dropped the stupid 2-pack idea and instead put that money into a better Bruce Wayne head (perhaps with that prototype above) and simply included said head with the torn cowl in with the single Batman, they would have saved money and had people buying atleast 1 or multiple sets.

View attachment 315185View attachment 315186

Great looking display and cool idea with the Connery sculpt. I notice you have both HT 89 and Returns Batman. Which one would you say is the best figure? I'm looking to pick one up at some point this year, not sure whether to get the more affordable Returns figure or keep looking for the 89 version.

Oh and whats with the guy with no head behind Deadpool :lol

Great looking display and cool idea with the Connery sculpt. I notice you have both HT 89 and Returns Batman. Which one would you say is the best figure? I'm looking to pick one up at some point this year, not sure whether to get the more affordable Returns figure or keep looking for the 89 version.

Oh and whats with the guy with no head behind Deadpool :lol

Thanks:), I have a major soft spot for the 89 as it was my first figure and got me in to collecting in the first place but the Returns is probably a better figure in most areas and is the more striking of the two suits. I wouldn't be without either but I think you'll be pleased with whichever one you decide to get.

No head guy is a bash in progress and will be Will Smith in I, Robot when the sculpt finally arrives!.:rotfl

DX09 '89 Batman is a better figure IMO but I prefer certain elements of the Batman Returns suit design - I just think the figure itself left a few things to be desired....like some sort of ability to articulate and a cape that doesn't make me want to bash the figure against a wall repeatedly before stamping on it and generally trying to crush it into a powder with heavy objects. The custom cape I bought was hardly any better.

DX 09

+ better weapons/accessories (steel gauntlet cable launcher and classic batarang)
+ suit is a higher quality, better made
+ good articulation in the legs and hips
+ boots actually have ankle pivot and a nice range of motion

- PERS is prone to breaking
- yellow belt sucks
- ugly base

Returns

+ superior arm/shoulder/elbow articulation thanks to solid ratchet joints
+ individual eyes that will never break when moved
+ sharper sculpt on cowl and suit that are more accurate
+ beatiful base

- solid plastic boots are terrible with cheap clear plastic for the sockets
- articulation in legs is practically non-existent
- face plate options suck

Returns is a case of Hot Toys going one step forward and two steps back. For the amount of time they had (4 years), Batman should not have had a one piece rubber suit or solid plastic boots or crappy reused faceplates.

The experience of the DX09 was better at the time as was the Hot Toys line from announcement to arrival. Popping the DX 09 out of that foam DX box and putting it together was more fun than Returns.

I know I am new, but every time I made a thread or asked a question, you guys answer them beyond what I'm even expecting. You guys are pretty awesome.

I personally haven't even bought a figure or statue at all, but I can't help but be tempted.

Do either of these batman (1989 and Returns) figures prone to issues long term? One thing that scares me is reading some stories on how rubber suits are prone to tears and other defects. Can anyone chime in on this?

Back