Hot Toys- Batman Begins:Batman Demon & Scarecrow spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been awhile since I bought it, but I think I did get it at Michael's Crafts. Some sort of small gauge twine...I'll check tonight and see if I have any left over.

Thanks Ed. :wave

Thank you sir, I cannot wait to show you all my suited Scarecrow when all the pieces finally get here. I did receive a nice little surprise today in the mail:
tn

It's my Cillian Murphy head sculpt!

I can't wait to get better pics, and to get my Scarecrow on the shelf!

Thank you sir, I cannot wait to show you all my suited Scarecrow when all the pieces finally get here. I did receive a nice little surprise today in the mail:
tn

It's my Cillian Murphy head sculpt!

I can't wait to get better pics, and to get my Scarecrow on the shelf!

Looks like the pic isn't working at the moment...which sucks, because I'm excited to see it!

Looks like the pic isn't working at the moment...which sucks, because I'm excited to see it!

Sorry about that here it is for real:
Photo0157.jpg

Cillian Murphy!
I took this pic with my phone so I could post it before I left for work, but I'll take better pics tonight. This is one of 17 pieces made, apparently. Mine is number 13 according to the box. I bought it from eBay from the original owner (not the sculptor) and it just arrived today! I am really excited though I'm going to need to find another neck peg to attach it to.

Awesome! So I got a good find then. I love the "plastic" glasses, mine came with two extra sets, did yours? I'm thinking I may try to make a more stable pair but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :lol

Yeah, he printed the glasses on one small sheet. I think mine has 4 or 5 on there...I've yet to cut any out, the head is with the painter.
They really do seal the deal on the Jonathan Crane likeness.

I don't regret it. :wave
Nor do I :yess:

I think the people who might regret it are completists, more than anything else. I admittedly have a horrible collecting addiction. But thankfully, the drive for completism is not part of this problem.

Before the announcement of this set, I never once thought that I wanted a Demon Batman figure, though I did really want Scarecrow. And since its release, it was a "take it or leave it" proposition for Demon Bats. If I had bought them both, I would have immediately re-sold Demon Bats to make some of the money back.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure my particular brand of collecting OCD would allow me to be happy with a knock-off, kit-bashed Scarecrow. I think I might need the real deal Holyfield, no matter how nice the fake looks. :(

HOWEVER, I'm not sure my particular brand of collecting OCD would allow me to be happy with a knock-off, kit-bashed Scarecrow. I think I might need the real deal Holyfield, no matter how nice the fake looks. :(

As always, to each his own. :peace

At this risk of sounding defensive, I have to balance cost and results. I have no problem kit bashing...(and honestly, I wasn't aware that my sculpt was a "knock-off" until I posted it here - nor do I have a problem with it now that it's in hand.)
Actually, only a few of the figures in my collection are still 'stock.' My hope is to acheive the most accurate representation of the character from a particular scene or film, and modification has almost always helped me reach this goal. In this case I couldn't afford the set, and had no interest in the Demon Batman. I tried to build mine to match the "Buyer beware" scene in TDK and am happy with the end product.

But again, whatever makes you happy. :)

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to knock anyone who went that route Pennyworth. Like Buttmunch suggests, not having Demon Bats will eat away at some. Some, who want to pay for expensive Joker customs, are completely unsatisfied with the stock DX version and are willing to do whatever it takes to get a superior figure. Personally, I am not a completist, and do enjoy customs and unlicensed figures here and there like Saves Punisher and Screaming Jack Torrence. But like I said--my own version of OCD may preclude my enjoying a direct recast of an official product. It is, by definition, a knock-off of an official product which I'm just not interested in personally.

^that's cool man...if the sculpt didn't look as good as it does, I wouldn't use it. In the end, I decided not to get hung up on the idea of using a recast...just thinking of it as a custom sculpt. :) I'm still curious to see a side-by-side comparison, but I'd argue that most wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I'm sort of a completist when it comes to TDK, and to some extent Batman Begins, but the Demon Bats just doesn't intrigue me enough to invest in it. I suppose I'd pick it up if the price was right, but it never was a 'must have' figure for me.

Just curious - how would you describe your brand of OCD karamazov?

Pretty much the way I've described it here. I also have issues with small defects in some instances--like one of the studs missing from T-800's jacket, or Spidey Comiquette having messy lines on his face. But lines on Spidey's underside that I can't see don't bother me so much. So I guess my sensitivity to errors and defects is a function of how likely I am to see it and whether it is common for a piece or not. I also collect Minimates, and have no compunction about switching out heads and other parts to make "superior" figures there, whereas some others have to have the official, stock version of those figures.

No real rhyme or reason to it, I don't suppose.

I snapped a few pics of my Scarecrows earlier today, in case anyone's interested. Some of them need futzing, but I wanted to take a few pics before it got too dark today:

ScarecrowLineup005.jpg

ScarecrowLineup007.jpg

ScarecrowLineup011.jpg

"Would you like to see my mask?"

ScarecrowLineup014.jpg

ScarecrowLineup016.jpg

ScarecrowLineup017.jpg

ScarecrowLineup020.jpg

ScarecrowLineup021.jpg

"I told you my compound would take you places...I never said they'd be places you wanted to go."

ScarecrowLineup027.jpg

The Crane head is the superbly sculpted and painted Cheungkinmen custom Cillian Murphy sculpt, and the TDK Scarecrow was kitbashed using a cheap grey suit (around $35) and a brown shirt and tie from Ebay (a few bucks each). I might swap out the shoes for a scuffed-up version of the Hot Toys Harvey Dent shoes, as that's the only real cheap-looking part of the bash.

By the way, I just got my TTL Bank Manager figure. For those thinking about it, I think it's a great option for kitbashing a Scarecrow. The clothing is nicely tailored, and the shoes even look like an exact replica of the Hot Toys "nice shoes" (used by Harvey Dent, Police Joker, etc.). It even comes with a belt, unlike the Hot Toys Scarecrow!

They're running around $65 - plop on one of those recasted heads, and you've got a kitbashed Scarecrow with nearly 100% of the Hot Toys quality, at less than 50% of the price - plus you get a bank manager sculpt to go with it!

Nice set haytil. Is one of those Scarecrow heads the recast?

I might swap out the shoes for a scuffed-up version of the Hot Toys Harvey Dent shoes, as that's the only real cheap-looking part of the bash.

The shoes would look a lot better if they were on the right feet. :monkey3

Thanks for the comments guys. To answer your questions:

Is one of those Scarecrow heads the recast?

Nope, they're both from the Hot Toys set.

The shoes would look a lot better if they were on the right feet. :monkey3

You have one hell of an eye, because I simply cannot tell the difference between left and right feet on my 1/6 figures, no matter how hard I try. I suppose these specific shoes are easier to tell than the others - but I can never tell if I've got the right shoes/boots on the right feet or not. Scarecrow boots, Batman boots, Joker shoes, Harvey Dent/Cop Joker shoes - nothing. They all look the same to me.

Hmmm...maybe I should take some close-up pics of the feet from every figure in my collection, and have you guys tell me which ones have shoes on incorrectly...:rotfl

What body/suit is that haytil?

That's the Hot Toys Scarecrow body and suit - all I did was remove the strait-jacket and switch the heads.

So initially I only had one Scarecrow - I bought the set with the intention of selling the Bat-demon to another member, since I wanted the Scarecrow more and he wanted the Bat-Demon.

Of course, once I saw how awesome it was in hand, I knew I wanted one for myself as well. Then there was also the Cillian Murphy custom head that was available, plus I had already put together the body and outfit for my TDK Scarecrow previously.

So it made sense to pick up another 10th Anniversary set, so that I'd get a Bat-Demon, another Scarecrow head for my TDK bash, and that would leave me with an extra Scarecrow body/outfit to go with a Cillian head. That left me with an extra strait-jacket, which I sold to help cover part of the extra cost and make it easier for me to justify to myself.

Of course, had I known at the time that the recast head would be available (and look so good!), I probably would've gotten one of those and paired it with a TTL suit/body instead, to save a bit of money...but it all turned out pretty good in the end!

I got my "rope" today at Michael's they didn't have the spools of twine so I bought 3 yards of cotton twist bead cord. It only came in black, but I figure a little bleach and Viola' then a little dip in some tea/or some paint and I'm all set. I'm piecing my TDK Scarecrow together as the pieces come in and will take before and after pictures of the started and finished piece. I was fortunate to score a suit with three buttons on the cheap so my figure will be 90% screen accurate when I'm done. The pockets are wrong, but I'm sure noone would have noticed if I hadn't been quite so retentive, lol. Here is a crappy camera phone photo of my "before" keep in mind that the shirt an tie are only place holders at the moment. I am bleaching the rope as I write this.
Here is the before pic:
Photo0159-1.jpg

Be kind, this is one of my first kit bashes, lol.

Thanks for the comments guys. To answer your questions:

Nope, they're both from the Hot Toys set.

You have one hell of an eye, because I simply cannot tell the difference between left and right feet on my 1/6 figures, no matter how hard I try. I suppose these specific shoes are easier to tell than the others - but I can never tell if I've got the right shoes/boots on the right feet or not. Scarecrow boots, Batman boots, Joker shoes, Harvey Dent/Cop Joker shoes - nothing. They all look the same to me.

Wow. Must be like color-blindness or something, because I can't comprehend that at all. :dunno

I got my "rope" today at Michael's they didn't have the spools of twine so I bought 3 yards of cotton twist bead cord. It only came in black, but I figure a little bleach and Viola' then a little dip in some tea/or some paint and I'm all set. I'm piecing my TDK Scarecrow together as the pieces come in and will take before and after pictures of the started and finished piece. I was fortunate to score a suit with three buttons on the cheap so my figure will be 90% screen accurate when I'm done. The pockets are wrong, but I'm sure noone would have noticed if I hadn't been quite so retentive, lol. Here is a crappy camera phone photo of my "before" keep in mind that the shirt an tie are only place holders at the moment. I am bleaching the rope as I write this.
Here is the before pic:
Photo0159-1.jpg

Be kind, this is one of my first kit bashes, lol.

Looks great to me myersfarms. :)

Back