Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT Batman 1989 Coming

Well, if I pre-order a new figure from a reputable on-line dealer, I expect it to arrive well-packaged and in mint condition anyway - whether or not I opt to pay extra money for a "collector's upgrade." If it doesn't show up mint, then I would expect an exchange, on their dime.

Anything less would be unacceptable service, ending in a returned item and a lost customer forever. You're not going to extort extra money from me for a service which I've already paid for (via the price of the item).

I don't even get what he's bashing. :confused:

I can understand why some (not me) don't like TDK suit so I think I get the "robocop/puzzle piece" comment, but I can't figure out why someone who liked the '89 suit wouldn't like the Begins suit. Are anatomical abs really that awesome that a suit is crap without them? Wouldn't that mean that the Returns suit sucks too?

...come to think of it, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like the Begins suit.
picture.php

because the begins suit has so much aesthetically wrong. both nolans suits look worse then any comics or past movie suits. its got the cloth cape which looks like a big blanket then batwings (the older suits had that leather "bat creature" look) which to me looks like crap. it may work in the comics but in a movie it looks silly. then you got the cowl is about 10 times too small for his mouth so it gives him that squishy mouth effect. i would take the cowl being too big over the cowl looking so small and tight it makes your cheeks stick out. then you got the robotic looking armor. i understand its his first night out in the suit but comeon, for a movie it looked surprisingly cheap. just not into it. the suit looked like a rubber jumpsuit/wetsuit bought at home depot, not a custom made anatomically correct "creature of the knight" suit. it also made batman look, um, chubby, anyone remember the "teh puffy" comments? count in the tiny mouse ears and bales weird lisp/voice and youve got a crappy looking batman. plus i am partial to the yellow classic oval.

watch the special features on Batman Begins - they made a full body mold of Bale - the suit was made to exact body proportions of Bale - I have the film on Bluray so i don't know if the same features are on DVD - but it was an awesome featurette on the cowl and suit - I am an 80's kid and will always love 89 Batman , but the newer (Nolan) suits just make the 89 look like vintage obselete versions . The 89 Cowl was awesome , i didn't like how the cape was draped over the shoulders , i did like the leather type material used . Yellow Bat Symbol was awesome .

89 Bats Fan for ever

its got the cloth cape which looks like a big blanket then batwings (the older suits had that leather "bat creature" look) which to me looks like crap...
um isn't the cape supposed to resemble batwings? :slap :huh
...count in the tiny mouse ears and bales weird lisp/voice and youve got a crappy looking batman. plus i am partial to the yellow classic oval.

Batman has had small bat ears in the comics before so it's not like it's wrong and not loyal to the comics for him to not have the long pointy ears :dunno

to me the Begins suit looks more iconic and in sync with the comics or rather Jim Lee's rendition especially with the bat symbol, which makes sense based on these two lines I took from the above statement as Jim Lee's Batman had the Huge Flowing cape and as you put it "tiny mouse ears"...and I believe, and I'm sure someone can clarify, that Nolan used Jim Lee's Batman as a base for how he wanted his version of Batman to look like. Believe it says it somewhere on the special features

But all in all I think it's wrong to call the Begins suit crap where in reality it's just your preference of suit choice. you like the way Burton's design looks cool. What's so wrong with others liking the Begins suit more?

Russell1982, Maglor, haytil:

Thanks for the welcome and the store suggestions! I'll defintely check them out while patiently waiting for Hot Toys to reveal Supes, Bats, and The Joker. I've bought from BBTS many times over the years, but my one concern was it seemed to take them an awfully long time to get in the Hot Toys "The Spirit" figures (not that I had them on order). Then again, that would certainly be a good thing for me.

There is an Ebay dealer based in Hong Kong from whom I bought all my "Superman Returns" figures. What he would do, once HT did a reveal on a figure with specs and pics, was list a certain number of figures at a decent Buy It Now pre-order price and a good deal on shipping. Once those sold, he would put up another round at a higher BIN (same shipping) and so on till his alotment was sold. Problem was, you had to make a full immediate payment. I've been checking his Ebay store and he seems to be getting away from selling Hot Toys. Those two circumstances led me to start looking elsewhere to buy my HT figures.

I'm really looking forward to these three figures as nothing back them had the exact look and feel of the movies. I just hope they live up to everyone's expectations! Thanks again!

Not unless that $2 makes sure it doesn't skud off the truck edges or concrete.

Well it is in another box...

Kind of defeats the purpose paying that even though it's just $2, if you were a MIB collector and you have no intention of opening it. She told me these were sealed back then. Though I never had any nicks and such going the regular route.

Read the green part again. That's why I do it.

because the begins suit has so much aesthetically wrong. both nolans suits look worse then any comics or past movie suits. its got the cloth cape which looks like a big blanket then batwings (the older suits had that leather "bat creature" look) which to me looks like crap. it may work in the comics but in a movie it looks silly. then you got the cowl is about 10 times too small for his mouth so it gives him that squishy mouth effect. i would take the cowl being too big over the cowl looking so small and tight it makes your cheeks stick out. then you got the robotic looking armor. i understand its his first night out in the suit but comeon, for a movie it looked surprisingly cheap. just not into it. the suit looked like a rubber jumpsuit/wetsuit bought at home depot, not a custom made anatomically correct "creature of the knight" suit. it also made batman look, um, chubby, anyone remember the "teh puffy" comments? count in the tiny mouse ears and bales weird lisp/voice and youve got a crappy looking batman. plus i am partial to the yellow classic oval.

Okay, I get it, your a troll. :)

um isn't the cape supposed to resemble batwings? :slap :huh

He's saying that the Begins cape looks like a blanket, whereas the Burton capes looked like wings. Grammar is not a priority for most trolls.

But all in all I think it's wrong to call the Begins suit crap where in reality it's just your preference of suit choice. you like the way Burton's design looks cool. What's so wrong with others liking the Begins suit more?

Don't be silly. Anyone with "Bat" in their username has the ability to make any opinion regarding Batman a universal fact.

Last edited:

Russell1982, Maglor, haytil:

Thanks for the welcome and the store suggestions! I'll defintely check them out while patiently waiting for Hot Toys to reveal Supes, Bats, and The Joker. I've bought from BBTS many times over the years, but my one concern was it seemed to take them an awfully long time to get in the Hot Toys "The Spirit" figures (not that I had them on order). Then again, that would certainly be a good thing for me.

There is an Ebay dealer based in Hong Kong from whom I bought all my "Superman Returns" figures. What he would do, once HT did a reveal on a figure with specs and pics, was list a certain number of figures at a decent Buy It Now pre-order price and a good deal on shipping. Once those sold, he would put up another round at a higher BIN (same shipping) and so on till his alotment was sold. Problem was, you had to make a full immediate payment. I've been checking his Ebay store and he seems to be getting away from selling Hot Toys. Those two circumstances led me to start looking elsewhere to buy my HT figures.

I'm really looking forward to these three figures as nothing back them had the exact look and feel of the movies. I just hope they live up to everyone's expectations! Thanks again!

I would think any US seller would get their shipments in much later than any Hong Kong seller, and probably and European sellers to.

US is last in line, but I don't mind the wait.

In the case of the DX02 the wait proved to be a good thing as my then HT had worked out most of the bugs.

149 pages and no pic yet, not even a teaser? (not including the book with the logo in it) :dunno

LOL! Don't start. You're just repeating what happens in the Superman thread.

:exactly: and don't forget the HTs Facebook :lol. Everyday, there's somebody complaining about where's Superman.

:lecture Agreed with all of the above. However the differences in design style stem from the fact that Burton went for the direct translation of the comic book stylised look whereas Nolan's is grounded in a reality. That's what I hate about it. I want Batman to look like the comic books, I want Gotham to look ... Well, Gothic and not like Chicago. It's a frappin comic book character for god sakes, let's have a comic book style movie...they do work! I blame Singer and his boring X-Men movies for starting that trend...
That's not to say I don't like the Nolan films I really do, from a purely story perspective. I just think the design of the film from costume onward is very underwelming.
Maybe story wise it was wrong, but I really think Burton's approach to the production design was far more in keeping with what makes Batman special.
Talking about Bale's lisp in the suit WTF is that all about?

Last edited:

So, didn't Hot Toys hint that Batman was next after Sweeney Todd? Do you think they'll release photos soon? Hell, they announced Sparrow on April 5th and the Todd on the 13th...

Wishful thinking...

Naaaaaaah. They both rule!! Nolan FTW Bale FTW BATMAN FTW!!!! RARRGHHGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hi5:

lol no the suits really are brilliant and so are the films.

^^ A well thought out and reasoned counter argument if ever I saw one... LOL

:lecture Agreed with all of the above. However the differences in design style stem from the fact that Burton went for the direct translation of the comic book stylised look whereas Nolan's is grounded in a reality. That's what I hate about it. I want Batman to look like the comic books, I want Gotham to look ... Well, Gothic and not like Chicago. It's a frappin comic book character for god sakes, let's have a comic book style movie...they do work! I blame Singer and his boring X-Men movies for starting that trend...
That's not to say I don't like the Nolan films I really do, from a purely story perspective. I just think the design of the film from costume onward is very underwelming.
Maybe story wise it was wrong, but I really think Burton's approach to the production design was far more in keeping with what makes Batman special.
Talking about Bale's lisp in the suit WTF is that all about?

From what you just said there I take it that you also preferred the Joel Schumacher Batman to the Christopher Nolan Batman, because Joel's version was all about taking straight from the comic book and onto the screen and that really didn't work out as we all know.
We all needed Batman Begins to happen the way it did from the tone of the film and costume (very important, as the bat nipples lol were gone). Chris made Batman badass AGAIN period !!!

No Joel's approach killed the franchise we all know that. He didn't get it. Neon and camp don't make a good comic book movie. I think Burton struck the right balance between interpreting the source material and translating it into a believable film, Schumacher took that basic recipe and skewed it toward childish, eye bleeding spectacle - like flinging crap at a wall and hoping some of it would stick. Nolan however went for the real world, gritty feel. This version, to me is Batman in name only.
At the end of the day, we all all have our own interpretation of how we think Batman should be and look. I myself see Batman as the brooding Keaton type character and Gotham, this massive, dingy city stuck in a time warp, its architecture a clash of 40's, through to modern design ...kinda like the corrupted twin of Metropolis.
Call me weird but i'd love to see a Batman film based in a 40's esque timeline, similar in design and tone to Sky Captain and/or Sucker Punch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back