Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol I don't think there's any reason to panic yet - we have no reason to thikn the face won't have Keaton's likeness

Worst case - if it did indeed have a generic face, at least with the switchable face plates one of the talented sculptors on here could provide an authentic likeness face plate to replace it with :lol

Oh my God, are you effin' serious? There is so much wrong with this statement, I don't now where to begin. The idea that there could be a clown kingpin of crime, or a DA turned insane half-man/half charred corpse, or a deranged psychiatrist who dresses as a scarecrow and drives people nuts with fear gas, or a plant woman who bewitches men with her spores, or ANY of that stuff is pretty far-fetched in a real world sense. You aren't going to be seeing any of this on the nightly news. It is based on comic books. So to talk of the Joker's transformation via a bullet, a betrayal, and some funky green chemicals as if it is too lowbrow for today's audience is absurd. Even when the movie first aired, nobody thought "Oh yeah, that's completely plausible, happens every day." It was a plot device, a convention that audiences accepted to get from "point a" to "point b" in the movie. And the scene with the back alley plastic surgeon and the Joker smashing the mirror is still awesome - whenever I see it, all I can picture are comic book panels with the dialogue: "Hee hee hee hee hee! A-hee hee hee hee hee! Ah ha ha hah hah HA HA HA HAW HAWWW!!!" scrawled in crazy lettering across them. And that's what 89 Batman was all about, being a dark, motion comic book.

Oh, and before you completely poo-poo the mystery green chemicals from 89 Batman, in the 1988 one-shot comic "The Killing Joke", the Joker's back-story involves a chemical-engineer-turned-failed-stand-up-comedian falling into a vat of chemicals during a crime gone wrong and being transformed into the bleached white Joker. Anything sound vaguely familiar? I think you'll find it was this comic that influenced Burton's Joker genesis storyline, much like "Batman: Year One" and "The Long Halloween" have been influences on Nolan's take on Batman. These movies are ultimately a retelling of the comic book tales that are their inspiration - and either your imagination can embrace these ideas or it cannot.
In your long defense for comic book villain births, I think you missed my point. By today's standards, it's silly. Nolan has raised the bar considerably, much in the same way Burton did in '89. Yes, they're still comic book characters and they're still unrealistic, but the more elements about them that can be grounded in reality then the more audiences and critics can believe in them. And as a result, the film will stand the test of time far better than a film that requires the viewer to "just go with it".

Even if it is a completely unrealistic notion, Nolan made Harvey Dent's transition from DA to insane half man/half charred corpse totally believable. And it's that kind of approach that'll make the Nolan films hold up to future scrutiny far better than a film that requires the viewer fill in all of the gaps with comic book hocus pocus. And again, it raises the bar for comic book films as a whole, just like Burton did in '89.

No Keaton sculpt is a bit of a bummer, but I still have a feeling the figure will still be awesome. That is a shame tho. :(

:lol I don't think there's any reason to panic yet - we have no reason to thikn the face won't have Keaton's likeness

Worst case - if it did indeed have a generic face, at least with the switchable face plates one of the talented sculptors on here could provide an authentic likeness face plate to replace it with :lol

I absolutely refuse to pay as much as the goddam figure for a custom head. :lol Otherwise, I just would've bought one of the many kickass custom figures going for as much as artists are charging nowadays for "screen accurate" suspenders. No Keaton likeness = no '89 Batman. No '89 Batman = no Nicholson Joker. Neither of the previous two = no Batmobile. I suspect I'm not the only one doing that, so HT is treading a very fine edge here.

In your long defense for comic book villain births, I think you missed my point. By today's standards, it's silly. Nolan has raised the bar considerably, much in the same way Burton did in '89. Yes, they're still comic book characters and they're still unrealistic, but the more elements about them that can be grounded in reality then the more audiences and critics can believe in them. And as a result, the film will stand the test of time far better than a film that requires the viewer to "just go with it".

Even if it is a completely unrealistic notion, Nolan made Harvey Dent's transition from DA to insane half man/half charred corpse totally believable. And it's that kind of approach that'll make the Nolan films hold up to future scrutiny far better than a film that requires the viewer fill in all of the gaps with comic book hocus pocus. And again, it raises the bar for comic book films as a whole, just like Burton did in '89.

Your defense of a comic book movie by calling another comic book movie "unbelievable" is oxymoronic. We'll ignore the fact of someone walking around without pain meds, in Dent's condition even being plausible, and focus on even using Dent as an example a all, is twice as laughable given Burton wasn't involved with Forever. :monkey1

Technically he didn't show his face while wearing the suit, so take that as you may. Would it have been nice to get one, sure. I wouldn't set him up as anything other than Batman so I'll can deal with it. Maybe they make a Returns suit & it's in there, maybe they don't. DX-02 seems to be plenty popular & it comes without a HS.

I'm not going to lie though. I do want to see the panic that this induces. If people go to the lengths like they have over in the Alice thread; it'll make for some mighty fine reading.

I absolutely refuse to pay as much as the goddam figure for a custom head. :lol Otherwise, I just would've bought one of the many kickass custom figures going for as much as artists are charging nowadays for "screen accurate" suspenders. No Keaton likeness = no '89 Batman. No '89 Batman = no Nicholson Joker. Neither of the previous two = no Batmobile. I suspect I'm not the only one doing that, so HT is treading a very fine edge here.

:goodpost: Can't imagine paying 250 for a figure with no Keaton likeness and then pay some forum member whatever to revise it. Not happening.

Technically he didn't show his face while wearing the suit, so take that as you may. Would it have been nice to get one, sure. I wouldn't set him up as anything other than Batman so I'll can deal with it. Maybe they make a Returns suit & it's in there, maybe they don't. DX-02 seems to be plenty popular & it comes without a HS.

I'm not going to lie though. I do want to see the panic that this induces. If people go to the lengths like they have over in the Alice thread; it'll make for some mighty fine reading.

I think some are wondering if the chin/mouth area is going to resemble Keaton. I don't care about a separate head, I just want the mouth piece etc. to look right.

Your defense of a comic book movie by calling another comic book movie "unbelievable" is oxymoronic. We'll ignore the fact of someone walking around without pain meds, in Dent's condition even being plausible, and focus on even using Dent as an example a all, is twice as laughable given Burton wasn't involved with Forever. :monkey1
You disagree that the Nolan films are a more realistic, believable take on a comic book story than the Burton films? :dunno

Spielberg, Don Murphy and Bay have defined the realistic comic/toy movie adaptation.

Bad News!

Michael Keaton sculpt not included. WTF. :slap

Am I the only one reading this and interpreting it meaning a full Keaton Sculpt without the cowl. The 89 shouldnt have a sculpt just a mouthpiece. That's it....no need to :panic: :panic: :panic: yet.

306097_1782932547840_1675269565_1289388_791677_n.jpg

312264_1782927707719_1675269565_1289386_5788390_n.jpg

1108242312b5bbd6793c8a5ff8.jpg

1108242312abc7bbf923a3d557.jpg

This is really good though and still the quality of pics is not outstanding. If it looks this good, I would buy it hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back