1/6 Hot Toys - BATMAN (1989) - Bob "The Goon"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys most likely lost the Nicholson license. It's either a case by case or it's signed for a limited time say 3 years.
It's not worth it to pursue Nicholson again when you are only making just 1 more figure
Considering last time they end up making 2 Joker figures.
I was kind of wondering if maybe their contract is for five years and a standard multi year agreement. If they were to announce it by the end of the year they'd be within that span since the DX08 was announced in 2011. Just speculation though as obviously no one knows the contract details.

I was kind of wondering if maybe their contract is for five years and a standard multi year agreement. If they were to announce it by the end of the year they'd be within that span since the DX08 was announced in 2011. Just speculation though as obviously no one knows the contract details.

I really don't get why Nicholson wants so much money? In the last 26 years the only official Nicholson Joker merchandise available was the HT figures, and that's only because they probably paid him a lot of money, but other than that, he's made no money from new merchandise because no one will pay that much for his likeness. :dunno

Doggone it, I was really looking forward to owning a Bob the Goon figure.

Close the thread.

tumblr_oaoj4gnp0Y1sas3ibo1_400.gif

While I personally have no interest in Bob, but it's a little frustrating ti see Hot Toys showing off customs. First, they fully know that there's a segment of the collecting community that spend quite a bit on customs and bashes in an attempt to add characters that HT doesn't offer. Second, they're demonstrating that they are more than capable of whipping up pretty good looking figures just for the heck of it. Third, it's a reminder that there are characters that have been teased or rumored like Batman Returns Catwoman and Penguin, or have been shown and never solicited, like Yellowjacket for crying out loud.

I know there's no way that a 3rd-tier character like Bob the Goon is going to be setting any sales records, so it's entirely possible the the figure simply doesn't make financial sense to produce. That said, I think there are ways HT could profitably produce fill in characters.

1. They could release as limited edition exclusives, as opposed to the latest Iron Man armor or costume variant.
2. They could subcontract B-tier characters from their licenses out to a smaller company and take a percentage of sales. While there might be some concern about cannibalization, Bob is not exactly going to be a threat to Batman sales. Not to mention there are already companies out there making decent unlicensed knockoffs.
3. They could just sell the H+Cs like other companies are doing. By eliminating the body and accessories, not only will the costs be lower at maybe $120 or so, but packaging and shipping would also be significantly cheaper. There are tons of bodies available in a variety of heights and builds (although it would be nice to have more choices for African American males and females. That wouldn't work for every character--like Iron Man, Hulk or Nebula--but would be great for characters like Colonial Marines (Aliens), Vicky Vale (Batman), Batgirl, Catwoman, Riddler ('66 Batman), Quorra, Gem, Clu (TRON), etc.

Anyway, at least it's showing that Hot Toys has not forgotten about the Batman license. And maybe we'll eventually see Batman and Robin from Batman Forever.

Just thought about Michael Gough's Alfred again and realized no one played him in the movies as often (four times). He will always remain my favorite. The armory would be an amazing display piece.

I would buy a Michael Gough Alfred. I know it wouldn't sell well but he WAS the Alfred for three different Batmans. So far he is the definitive one.

Hot Toys most likely lost the Nicholson license. It's either a case by case or it's signed for a limited time say 3 years.
It's not worth it to pursue Nicholson again when you are only making just 1 more figure
Considering last time they end up making 2 Joker figures.

I wonder how that works with existing product? If they are just offered up again as a paint variant? No changes to the standard Jack Joker, just a different paint facial variant and a new hat.

Pics taken from Tarol-El instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/dc.comics_taro_el/

https://i64.tinypic.com/aahwd1.png[/IMG

[IMG]https://i65.tinypic.com/25aj3ok.png

There is obviously no Hot Toys Bob the Goon figure...this is clearly a prop to complete the scene....based upon the close up picture I am certain that even Bob's biggest fan would not pay Hot Toys prices for a head sculpt and likeness of that quality...good enough for a background diorama prop though....Hot Toys is probably panicking that people think that this is an actual piece that they intend to release.

I can see them offering this in an optional 2-pack with Museum Joker, kind of like Pepper Potts with optional MK whatever.

yeah looks very rough and not good- no way this will go to production anyhow but at least HT added him to that display!

Back