Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish more people thought like you. I want to buy the fabric myself, just can't get a shipping quote from that seller on eBay. I live in the U.S. So I've been trying to find someone from here selling something comparable.

I would pay $50 for a license plate but I think $70 is a bit much. $125 for a lightning hook that isnt very screen accurate is a no go with me. If it actually looked like the one in the film, then maybe (it was basically a fishing rod) but its still a bit steep. I dont wanna sound like im bashing someone elses work though (which im not) as they are still nice pieces and its down to the individual as to what they want and how much they are willing to spend. Skill also comes into it as you say and to make the one thats $125 looks fairly easy (alot more so than the one im attempting) to accomplish (some small cable ties, wire hook and a 2.5mm-3mm dowel with a length of roughly 60cm as the main rod, not sure what he has used for the cable though, looks like painted parcel thread maybe).

Regarding these mats, its a fairly simple thing to create. Now, I could never make one of those metal license plates so I can see why they cost what they cost but Im not willing to spend money on something I know I can do myself. Fans mats do look pretty good and more professional than what I have created but I am more happy with mine as its something I created and at a fraction of the cost. I still have my template which I may tweek further and I may find an even better material.

If anyone can suggest a way for me to upload the template so that all you have to do is print it off on A4 paper so that its the correct size, im more than happy to do that. That way, you can source your own material and make it yourself for next to nothing. Also, by going this route, everyones delorean will be slightly different and unique.

I think im one of the few people who really doesnt care about foot pedals. I would kinda like the handbrake but I kinda doubt there would be much room for it as its supposed to sit between the seat and the door. A small piece of rounded plastic would do the trick, maybe even that piece on a pen lid could work. Seatbelts are another thing I dont care for (marty and doc never wore them) but probably is a fairly easy thing to make, (im still considering painting the catches black though). However, I dont think there is room to add them where they should be. Ive not really checked to see. This is the only pic I have that gives you an idea on where the belt sits.

View attachment 284217

Handbrake position

View attachment 284218

The annoying thing, the more I look at interior pics, the more I want to repaint the whole interior to be the correct colour grey. But that would require dismantling the thing which I have no confidence in doing at all. Delorean interiors came in 2 colours only, grey and black (there was a concept of red/burgandy which never saw production and any other colours you have seen are customs owners have done themselves). The BTTF interior was grey like the 2 pics I just posted. Its mainly the dash that annoys me where the steering wheel is attached. Its just screams cheap plastic to me.

Like I said before, sirdoctor, I plan on taking mine apart, if it can be done safely. When I do it, I'll post results in the mod thread. I too want to tweak the interior.

And so it begins. . .

IMG_5381.JPG

Crappy picture taken in my work shed, but basically the doors off, windshield gone, blades and assembley, bonnet. . . You get the idea. I've worked out how to get the dash out, just will need some patience as it's tricky.

Instead of clogging up this thread, I'll post updates in the mod thread for all of those that are interested as I progress - but it will be slowly slowly.

If anyone can point me in the direction of good, reliable interior and exterior shots of the real DeLorean etc, that would be much appreciated and save me time with Google.

Mod Thread HERE

I'm personally happy to experiment. I've bought £6.50 worth of that material sirdoctor kindly provided links for, rather than pay someone else $30+ to cut fabric for me. It depends on people's level of skills etc and what they're comfortable doing/making or paying for.

Like a license plate for $70 and a lightning hook for $125 :lol Each to their own, I suppose.

Be interesting to see if anyone can 3D print the pedals. Now that's something worth paying for IMO. Maybe most people don't care about something you can hardly see, but I'd like them to make it look and feel more like a real car. It's all subjective.

(...) it just means it will take at least a week to do so as I would have to order the fabric. (...)

I wish more people thought like you. I want to buy the fabric myself, just can't get a shipping quote from that seller on eBay. I live in the U.S. So I've been trying to find someone from here selling something comparable.

Hey fellas, no offense :wink1: but see why custom work can be so relatively expensive? If you look closer you will find that it actually is not expensive. Making custom things is time intensive. Even if it is only about these floor mats. It is about getting the proper shape, sourcing a proper material, making trial and error with possible waste of time and money. That has to be compensated by the amount you collect from a relatively small number, not knowing how many will be interested in the end. Then you need to make pictures, fabiracte them all, handle shipments, handle lost or damaged shipments and so on. Not saying it can't be fun but it surely is not as rewarding (financialy) as some may think and always consider that it usually is free time people invest.

Anyway, nice work sirdoctor btw. :hi5:

As for the other DeLorean parts I have in the pipeline: One can usually get 80% of the job done with 20% of the work. But when it comes to custom things I can't live with that since it doesn't do these collectibles justice imo. Don't want to sound ingnorant but the custom 1/6 lighting rods I saw by now were all absolutely inaccurate because in fact they need to get thinner to the top (as you said it basically is a fishing rod) and they were all missing a lot of details. Still not 100% sure if I can finish them at the level of detail I have in mind but if I can't I'd rather cancel and refund a project before I would deliver something like that.

Anx10us youre a braver guy than I. Just seeing that picture makes me nervous. How easy was it to remove the doors as my drivers side droops a little lower than the other. Its not a big problem as I tend to display the car with only one door open at a time.

I can see your points Fan. Its something I dont want to get into myself as its seems very time consuming. Dont get me wrong, your mats are miles better than mine but as im sure you will understand I feel mine are better simply because I put in some time and effort. The journey has been mine reward. I would love to know how you managed to get your shape but understand if you wanna keep that your secret. I have an idea and it envolves alot of work im guessing. Im still interested in you license plate if you ever make them.

(...) Dont get me wrong, your mats are miles better than mine but as im sure you will understand I feel mine are better simply because I put in some time and effort. The journey has been mine reward. (...).

No, it's all good. Hope you didn't get be wrong either as I don't even think mine are so much better. :duff Totally get what you're saying about finding ways, that is the more rewarding part of the work, well at least if it works. :lol

Wow Anx10us, unless you want to build this as a diorama please take care. :pray:

13226618_2.jpg

Yeah I understood ya.

I cant decide whether anx10us is brave, crazy, a genius or a mixture of all 3. I guess someone was bound to have a go though so good luck to you. I would love to attempt it myself but considering how much the thing cost I dare not risk it. I think the mods ive done have improved the interior so much that I can live with the wrong colour scheme HT went with. And since youre going to this level, will you be making the time circuits light up at all. It would be a shame to dismantle it to the level you are without considering that mod. If you pull it off, you will be a god amongst men in most peoples eyes and possibly the only guy to ever attempt it.

Its quite difficult finding pictures of the actual A car interior (I searched ages to see how the cables are placed around the interior with no luck. I ended up just watching the film). You would be best getting screencaps or buying the outatime documentary where they restore the A car. If not, the picture I posted to show the handbrake is pretty much the bttf interior colour sceme except the floor mats were not black.

Hey fellas, no offense :wink1: but see why custom work can be so relatively expensive? If you look closer you will find that it actually is not expensive. Making custom things is time intensive. Even if it is only about these floor mats. It is about getting the proper shape, sourcing a proper material, making trial and error with possible waste of time and money. That has to be compensated by the amount you collect from a relatively small number, not knowing how many will be interested in the end. Then you need to make pictures, fabiracte them all, handle shipments, handle lost or damaged shipments and so on. Not saying it can't be fun but it surely is not as rewarding (financialy) as some may think and always consider that it usually is free time people invest.

Fan, there's no need to be defensive. Please read what I said again.

I was talking about the car mats, and said that I personally feel comfortable making them myself. If I didn't, I'd be asking to buy yours. But, as you can appreciate, why would I personally spend $30+ on something I can do myself?

I then went on to say that I personally again wouldn't pay $125 for an inaccurate lighting rod.

The numberplate is brilliant, but I'm not convinced about spending $70+ on it. I'm having a think about it.

As you know, all of this is subjective, so no need to jump on me about it and explain it all because I fully understand. No one is knocking your work either.

How easy was it to remove the doors as my drivers side droops a little lower than the other. Its not a big problem as I tend to display the car with only one door open at a time.

Easy. It's just a sliding clip - towards the front - it's spring loaded. There's a little tab you pull back to release it.

Feel free to ask questions in the mod thread.

I cant decide whether anx10us is brave, crazy, a genius or a mixture of all 3.

None of the above. I'm not forcing anything and taking my time. So far, it's tricky but logical to take apart.

I guess someone was bound to have a go though so good luck to you.

I know, and I was hoping it would be someone else by now :lol

And since youre going to this level, will you be making the time circuits light up at all. It would be a shame to dismantle it to the level you are without considering that mod. If you pull it off, you will be a god amongst men in most peoples eyes and possibly the only guy to ever attempt it.

I've said from the very beginning that I was going to look into it but have been silent a while because people kept trying to slap me down and tell me it was impossible etc. It may well be, but it's something I have ideas for.

Even I keep considering the license plate as it is awesome but I just cant justify spending so much on something so small. I kmow its a piece of art blah blah but I bought some amazingly detailed evil dead necronomicons for less which open and has printed pages. Yes, a sticker is a bit tacky but its not that bad. Tbh considering this is the delorean seen from the end of the film, it shouldnt even have the plate. Hopefully if he does a 2015 plate it will cost less as its not raised like the outatime one.

The time circuits mod isnt impossible. Tricky yes but even I can see a way of doing it. But yeah, take your time and I hope it all goes well for you

I have no problem paying for customs. I'm aware of what goes into them and I think your mats look great. I never said anything negative about you personally. I even bought that expensive license plate. It is awesome.

Can I rant for a second?

I don't agree with people charging people money for customs that aren't even made yet, and then taking months or years to create the product if at all. If you're accepting money for customs in advance, I don't feel they should get the "when I get around to it" treatment. I think of it as being hired for a job. I do get the advance payments when sellers outsource things like molds and painting.

I don't mean for this to come off the wrong way. I'm interested how other people feel about this as well.

Anyway, nice work sirdoctor btw. :hi5:

As for the other DeLorean parts I have in the pipeline: One can usually get 80% of the job done with 20% of the work. But when it comes to custom things I can't live with that since it doesn't do these collectibles justice imo. Don't want to sound ingnorant but the custom 1/6 lighting rods I saw by now were all absolutely inaccurate because in fact they need to get thinner to the top (as you said it basically is a fishing rod) and they were all missing a lot of details. Still not 100% sure if I can finish them at the level of detail I have in mind but if I can't I'd rather cancel and refund a project before I would deliver something like that.

I would agree with you. If you take a payment of any kind you should make it a priority. I would gage interest and get a prototype made. Then I would start taking part or full payments and get those out to people as quickly as possible. I understand life gets in the way sometimes so updating people should be a no brainer.

I did get a response from that seller on eBay. They don't ship to the U.S. I hope I can find something similar to what you used.

I would agree with you. If you take a payment of any kind you should make it a priority. I would gage interest and get a prototype made. Then I would start taking part or full payments and get those out to people as quickly as possible. I understand life gets in the way sometimes so updating people should be a no brainer.

Hey, looks like I got some things wrong here. :peace

Also share the opinion that it's the better way, not to charge for anything upfront but when expanses sum up it can get tricky, same as making correct estimations, time and money wise. A learning process after all.

Last edited:
I know its not delorean related as such, but this stuff will look good dotted all over the car. Spent the afternoon doing these

20160809_202905.jpg

I bought a wiring kit for my Firebird that routed the power from the passenger side to it's own source (GM designed them to run off the drivers door, which caused it to lag).

It was $20 for the kit from a forum member on LS1tech.com. I could have walked around Home Depot for the parts and spent two hours of my time to save $10, but it's only $20. It's worth it. I feel the same way about a set of $30 floor mats for a collectible.

My water pump went out a few months ago, and it cost me $180 for parts shipped to my door via Amazon Prime and two hours in the driveway. A shop would have charged me twice that. I'm going to DIY that just due to the difference.

If you want to save money by making your own mods when the savings are so relatively small, have at it. It doesn't make you a worse or a better person.

Back