Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there's a lot of hate in this thread for HT, but I personally don't think they deliberately "Gave up" or "Cut corners" particularly on purpose. As others have mentioned and been ignored - the tooling costs alone on this must have been colossal, so they had to compromise somewhere. Can you imagine what all the negative whiners on here would say if this had cost twice as much because of the level of detail needed to shut them up?

In fairness it wouldn't of cost them that much to include an led behind the time circuit ,include the pole and hook and add a few more cables and components to the 'cockpit'. Plus that wouldn't have added much to the cost at all. Nevertheless as you say you can(hopefully) easily create these features yourself.

In fairness it wouldn't of cost them that much to include an led behind the time circuit ,include the pole and hook and add a few more cables and components to the 'cockpit'. Plus that wouldn't have added much to the cost at all. Nevertheless as you say you can(hopefully) easily create these features yourself.

The hook and cables etc - I agree.

LEDs behind the time circuits - even though it completely baffles me why they didn't do that (seeing as they're a huge part of the car) it would cost. Not just for the wiring, but mainly because the detail. It's not just a case of bunging an LED behind it, but it's quite detailed with the small numbers individually cut/molded. They could've created an overlay, but I suspect that wouldn't have looked good. Hopefully, it is removable and we can do something about it.

for all who are complaining..

Would you rather Hot Toys just cancel the Back to the Future line?

Something is better than nothing.

Get your mod hat on and enjoy the car even longer as you attempt to get it as close to screen accurate as possible.

My .24 cents

I'm still contemplated on whether or not I should get this. One one hand, it's absolutely what I always wanted as a kid and it would go beautifully with my Marty figure but on the other hand, I'm not big on 1/6 vehicles as they take up too much space and the lack of foot pedals is quite a bummer. Yes, it's such a minor thing as that's what non-collectors will pick up, "Wow, such details for a model... wait, no foot pedals?". :slap

I don't buy into the notion that it would hinder with the Marty figure either as HT could have made the pedals detachable. Either way, I can't wait to see some reviews as I think it looks fantastic, maybe I'll need to flip a coin.

Same here. I would like to collect vehicles like Tumbler and Delorean. Space and price plays a big big factor. A bit derail, does anyone here own Hw Batman or a Delorean, how does it compare to HT version, other than size?

for all who are complaining..
Would you rather Hot Toys just cancel the Back to the Future line?

No, we'd rather it had less issues.

Something is better than nothing.

Absolutely, which is why I'm still getting it.

Get your mod hat on and enjoy the car even longer as you attempt to get it as close to screen accurate as possible.
My .24 cents

I will certainly try!

tbh all im gonna do is add some more wiring into the interior. its a very easy mod and it will help to make the interior look less like its been bought straight out of a showroom. Im not too bothered the time circuits dont light up really (it would have been nice but i can easily live without it). Im certainly not gonna mess around trying to get it to light up. I would of loved the rod but im ok with paying for a custom one if its good enough.

someone mentioned about it not having seatbelts earlier. they never wore the things in the film and just like the pedals, they arent needed. we really dont need them. However, im still debating about getting some floor mats though. I do feel the interior colour is completely wrong but im not gonna mess with that either.

all in all, im still getting this. considering most of the time the lights will be off and if i have it with the drivers door open, marty will be standing there so the interior will hardly ever be seen anyway. i usually have my deloreans "posed" with the furthest door away open and with the closest door closed. The exterior is pretty much perfect and i may not even have the number plate decal on the car as the car spends the majority of the film without it.

Im sure HT would of loved to have made this more accurate, but as has been stated already, tooling and such would push the price up further and HT were probably taking a gamble with this car anyway. Now we have people moaning about how inaccurate it is and how they arent gonna get it/gonna cancel their POs which now means that we will probably never see the PT2 hover version (which would be even more expensive i suspect and with the interior not being any different and still lacking).

One last thing, ive noticed that no one has mentioned about the door lights and how they dont light up.

I am torn between buying this and holding out for the pt. II version, but who knows if the prototype of the part II version actually ever gets made for sale?

I am torn between buying this and holding out for the pt. II version, but who knows if the prototype of the part II version actually ever gets made for sale?

I'd say go ahead and get this version. Its more than likely they won't release the part 2 version. Even if you do get this version and the part 2 version comes out you can always sell this one and use the funds to purchase the second one or alternatively if your rich lol just pick up both versions.

I'm gonna try see if get some skinny blue leds under the time circuits thats about it other then pole added.

Damn ! Damn Where is the Hell is Doc. ???

I know and have small blue led bendable strips are cheap easy find just wether not can get to fit under it all is another question. Hopefully will be easy to do just wish was included.

Yes, the Flux Bands! They would have to be pretty tiny to fit under there and most likely a chore.... A chore I wouldn't mind doing :)

They are very thin only other option i could think is cathodes but no way too thick and not a consistent line of light's. I was thinking EL WIRE but dont think would work ,so thin leds is my only hope.

Yes, the Flux Bands! They would have to be pretty tiny to fit under there and most likely a chore.... A chore I wouldn't mind doing :)

Yeah, me neither. Gotta wait until it's in hand, but perhaps EL Tape or wire will do the trick.

Here's the other thread chatting about possible mods and an interest thread from Fan:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/general-collectibles-action-figures/165970-hot-toys-delorean-mod-ideas-resources.html

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/interest-threads/148903-custom-1-6-bttf-dmc-improvement.html

YEP following thread also we need a decent review already is that too much to ask ? Hopefully someone will post one up soon.

Just curious if the decals or whatever they used on the dash and time circuit aren't transparent how is a thin led going to do anything? Seems like a lot of work for something that may look worse

Just curious if the decals or whatever they used on the dash and time circuit aren't transparent how is a thin led going to do anything? Seems like a lot of work for something that may look worse

The answer to your question is it wont do anything. You'd need to cut out sections for each of the time circuit digital displays and then place transparent plastic in front of it then an led behind it to make it work properly. Even then each section of the lettering for the digital display has to light up and you can't just have an led shining through it coz it will illuminate the entire piece of transparent plastic not just the tiny digits you require to be lit.

Imo its not worth the hassle and it would be a brave person who attempts to mod it. There are plenty of other lightup features on the car then to be worried about the time circuits lighting up. I would say it was too complex even for hot toys to achieve the desired effect with the digits and this is why they left it out.

Back