Hot Toys Avengers Captain America Shield Re-Paint (Guide on 1st post)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El-Vi-Riachi

Super Freak
Reaction score
**New Update**

**Shield repaint guide**

Since I have been asked to repaint shields, which I am very uncomfortable doing, I will instead offer a guide so you can go at your own shields. Now I did not take pictures every step of the way so I will attempt to describe the best I can.

So.....

Step 1.

Shield is flaky, looks **** you want something like this (Well the one at the left anyway, the right was my first attempt)

20130331_233751_zps02426b5f.jpg

and have the shield to its former glory and less shiny? If you say yes to all of these then you need a repaint.

So now my corny opening is out of the way lets get to it. If your going for a full repaint this is what you need.

1. Frogtape I used multi surface (green tub) this might vary around the world, I live in UK. You can get this from B&Q in UK

2. Tamiya Spray cans. You don't have to use these but this is what I used, I can not guarantee the quality if you use other sprays
TS-18 Metallic red
TS-19 Metallic Blue
TS-79 Semi Gloss Clear

3. Craft knife (something like this https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/me...x/c/xcelite-xn-100-light-duty-craft-knife.jpg)

4. Some cheap nail polish remover containing acetone and some cotton wool pads Don't get anything too harsh as you only need to strip the paint

Ok So if you have all these lets go.

Step 1

First things first, I would recommend getting your frog tape and covering the underside of your shield to protect it and the straps for the shield.

Now you want to strip all the paint off the shield, if it is flaking it won't matter losing whats left. So get your nail polish remover dab some onto your cotton wool pads and start scrubbing the front of that shield. Take your time there is no rush as rushing can lead to mistake which I had to learn the hard way. Try to get it all keep going until you are left with this.

20130222_224354_zpsd5f1bf21.jpg

Step 2

Now wash the shield with a cloth and some warm soapy water to clean any oil off the shield, try not to handle or touch the front of the shield after this, try some disposable plastic gloves or something.

Now get your frog tape and cover all the front of the shield and press it down. Try to lay the tape as evenly as possible but leave no gaps. using your nail map out the grooves in the shield so you can see the rings.

To start with we are only going to be spraying the outer ring and inner ring. The middle ring and inner circle will be done later.

Now that you have mapped out the rings and can see them through the tape take your craft knife and very carefully (and lightly as these are very sharp) run it along the first grove that make out the outer ring on the shield.

Be VERY careful not to cut yourself or the shield or the surface will be ruined, take your time with this as it is a delicate process.

Once this is done you can peel the tape from the outside so the outer ring is visible and ready for spraying. Now using the knife, guide it along the next groove then around the circle and then peel the tape away from the inner ring which will also be sprayed red.

What you should be left with is tape over the middle ring and the inner circle over the star.

Step 3

Now you will need a suitable surface the lay the shield down bearing in mind this will get spray paint on it so choose wisely.

I personally used old polystyrene packaging from an electrical appliance, it had a nice dip to it that the shield sat in nice. Use your own discretion for the surface.

Shake up your metallic red spray very well and spray at about 30cm spraying with stroke from left to right. Don't go over board with the spraying just build it up gradually. It should look even when your finished. I personally did one coat waited an hour then did a second light coat. I personally think one coat should be fine.

Now leave it for 24 hours preferably 48 hours to allow the paint to cure, try placing something over the top of the shield as a cover, a bit like a roof, don't cover it fully it will need to breath. I recommend this because it can be very easy to get dust particles on the wet paint and its a swine to get off.

Step 4

Now peel the tape off very carefully so you don't peel/chip the paint and it should look quite even.

Now the rest is easy, cover all the shield again and pay attention to press down the tape on the inner circle where the star is, don't worry too much about pressing the tape down too hard on the rest of the shield as you just need to cover it so the paint doesn't seep on to your lovely red paint job.

use your nail to map out the outer edges of the star and the groove for the circle.

Now again using the knife carefully, map out the circle and out edge of the star. Don't mistake the outer edge for the inner grove on the star. Once the tape is cut, peel it away. What you should be left with is tape covering the star with the gaps outside the star (where the blue will go) should be clear.

Now again following my above instructions paint it metallic blue. Leave for 24-48 hours.

Step 5

Now peel the tape and it should look very quite good depending on skill and if you taped it right.

Get your semi clear coat, shake well and spray lightly from left to right at about 30 cm. Do a light coat or two, it helps to protect your paint job.

Again leave it for a day or two and your done.

If you don't want to use semi gloss, go for a full clear gloss, if you want it very shiny. In all my picture of the finished shield it is with a semi gloss. Be wary of full clear gloss, too heavy a coat can ruin paint jobs, light coats remember!

Please share your results on this thread I would be interested in seeing your work. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Might be best to PM tho, I don't always visit this thread.

**original post**
Shared a few pictures in the release thread for Avengers Captain America so thought I would start a thread to show my progress as some peeps asked to keep updating.

So I bought a spare shield to try a clear coat and things did not work so well, it bled the paint work, so out came the nail varnish and I stripped the paint fully, thus my decision to attempt to repaint the whole shield after hearing so many horror stories about flaky shields.

I did a semi gloss coat for my first shield and it worked out quite well, a nice well... semi gloss effect.

20130214_235037_zps8dacb835.jpg

20130214_235007_zpsc919d1e0.jpg

20130215_203336_zpsb5aae291.jpg

It worked quite well so I wanted to then try a full gloss clear coat and well, you know the rest.

So I stripped the paint on the second until I got a nice shiny metal shield

20130222_224440_zps7b3787e7.jpg

And that was stage one of operation repaint.

Last edited:
Re: Hot Toys Avengers Captain America Shield Re-Paint

Stage two, primer

So I was thinking about if I should use a primer or not and decided that for my first attempt (if it all goes wrong I shall be trying again), I shall use a primer. So on went a light grey primer and left it for just over a day and a half to allow it to dry/cure.

20130223_144901_zpsda9dd7a9.jpg

20130223_144908_zps021f96ad.jpg

Now the primer was done, bought some frog tape and covered the whole shield, out came the knife for some precision cutting, and then onto the first coat of metallic red.

20130224_181034_zps405b7961.jpg

20130224_181039_zpsed8140df.jpg

20130224_181204_zps728e86e2.jpg

And that's all for now, tune in again for more updates as I continue my repaint.

Nice! I like the semi gloss look. What type of semi gloss did you use?

What did you use to strip the red and blue paint off to just leave the metallic silver coat?

What did you use to strip the red and blue paint off to just leave the metallic silver coat?

Just some bog standard nail polish remover, tbh I suspect there was some sort of silver/aluminum coat also for the silver, there is a coat of it behind the shield also. I removed the straps at the back also so I can glue them back on after i have finished

Great job man. What's the chance of you doing mine? The shiny shield bugs me big time!
Could you drop me a pm if it's possible? :)
Cheers
Nash

This is my first custom and first time painting to be honest, still some way to go yet. I would need to see how the finished product is.

I would be hesitant to take someones shield to do this for them but I would I am happy to offer any advise, having said that this is my first time doing this.

Just applied the second coat of red, going to leave it to cure for a couple of days then I will do the blue, then the gloss aluminum

Nice! I like the semi gloss look. What type of semi gloss did you use?

Sorry forgot to answer this, I used Tamiya ts-79 semi gloss clear. Do only a couple of coats, should be more than enough, do not spray to heavy as you might hurt the paint job and don't spray to close, about 20-30cm away in sweeping motions.

leave a couple of hours between coats then once done leave it alone for a day or two to let the paint cure. Should be fine then

To strip the paint I used a nail polish remover.

Final update of the day, tape removed, now gonna leave well alone for a day.

Seems the tape was not 100% effective at stopping some of the paint but hopefully should be able to correct any minor blemishes when i come to do the blue and the aluminum. The trouble seems to be the grooves in the shield that separates the red from the white. But looking at hots paint job seems i did the right one first. I shall see how the next one does in a couple of days, not sure if I should do the blue or the metal first.

20130224_224159_zps2cb835f5.jpg

20130224_224146_zps62a8a992.jpg

20130224_224113_zpsf0b6036e.jpg

Not to hijack your thread but for some additional information for people looking to preserve their shield.

I had some Testors Dullcoat lying around so I tried it on a shield that was already chipping that I was going to make into a battle damaged shield. I only did one coat to test it out. It would probably work better for a battle damage shield but for a pristine shield the semi gloss would be the way to go I think. Dullcoat isn't bad either, depends on what kind of look you want.

Natural light, you can see the difference with the shield next to it.

p1060598yx.jpg

Flash pic, you can see it still retains the spun metal look to the paint.

p1060610.jpg

Last edited:

Any reason you didn't tape over the silver coat and just prime and paint the red and blue? I don't think the silver is the problem just the red and blue.

I might try leaving the silver, giving the shield a good cleaning, painting clear red and clear blue over the silver and then seal it up when I get around to repainting one.

Any reason you didn't tape over the silver coat and just prime and paint the red and blue? I don't think the silver is the problem just the red and blue.

I might try leaving the silver, giving the shield a good cleaning, painting clear red and clear blue over the silver and then seal it up when I get around to repainting one.

I thought about that at first but there is a coating of some sort over the silver when I was removing all the paint with nail varnish, it did appear to be a semi glossed aluminum, but it could of easily of being a clear coat. I figured I will try it first by priming it all then if it doesn't work I'll restart and try priming the colored parts only and leave the silver and just clear coat it once the painting is finished.

I may strip it and paint it again yet, just trying this out to see what the final result is, bit of trial and error.

Spent a long time on this and still not finished, need to do some touch ups and perhaps get a metallic silver. But getting closer. It is very rough atm, but I highly doubt I will be able to get the same result as hot toys electroplated shield.

20130225_220122_zps2a43fb42.jpg

20130225_220112_zps503b16c0.jpg

20130225_220054_zpsc0a2f509.jpg

Up close does not look at good unfortunately need to clean up the shield once the paint has had chance to take hold.
20130225_220104_zps05c1e7ae.jpg

If you wouldn't mind sharing the name of the semi gloss stuff you used on the shield in the pics on the first post, that would be great. Thanks.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the name of the semi gloss stuff you used on the shield in the pics on the first post, that would be great. Thanks.

Read post 8. :wave

Great work you are doing and thanks for the tips....alway's great to see other fellow collector's and customisers methods. Also have you tried Tamiya TS-65 PEARL CLEAR as that has a luminescent gloss appearance.
It is a shame we dont have complete Gloss from Tamiya now, only flat and semi
:(

Back