Hot Toys Avengers Captain America Shield Re-Paint (Guide on 1st post)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Avengers Captain America Shield Re-Paint

Great work you are doing and thanks for the tips....alway's great to see other fellow collector's and customisers methods. Also have you tried Tamiya TS-65 PEARL CLEAR as that has a luminescent gloss appearance.
It is a shame we dont have complete Gloss from Tamiya now, only flat and semi
:(

I was able to pick up a Ts-13 clear from ebay, full gloss. Be very careful as it can run paints if used too much, i'd advise using the semi gloss first then a coat of clear, again not too thick

Thanks for the tips! :clap Just bought a can of that Tamiya semi-gloss. Plan on treating my 2 shiny shields when it arrives next week. I really like the look of the semi-gloss, and I am willing to try anything to prevent the flake before it starts...

Sallah

Don't think i will be updating this thread further for now, my repaint project has not gone too well, I think I lack the necessary skills/equipment to repaint this to a very high quality that and I have damaged the shield a few times with scratches, I am still trying to touch up the paint here and there and I know it is possible to repaint it to a good enough standard from a distance with standard spray cans.

I think this would be a job for someone with more skill than me. I may post some final pics once I have touched up the shield but it will not be to the level of hot toys.

I have ordered a 3rd shield to attempt a clear coat again, this time I will do a semi gloss first then a clear so I don't run the paint again. After that if I am happy I will be done with it. Please use this info on the thread for reference if you want more info on using a clear coat on your shield for preventive measures.

So decided to go at my painted shield like I was attacking it (with sand paper :p) and got a nice custom battle damage look. Think I will keep it this way, not too worried about the paint job this way

This shield is fully repainted and I just went at it with a fine grade sand paper

20130319_231251_zps08f67c75.jpg

20130319_233259_zps48caeefd.jpg

20130319_233240_zps975182dd.jpg

Last edited:

I could not take it!!!

I could not take that my first repaint of the shield did not go well, sooo.... I bought another eeeeek!

Stripped the paint again, tried some other methods and I finally got a finish I was happy with. Now both these pictures are my repaints and are not hot toys original paint work it is my own.

1st Pic, top is second attempt, bottom is first attempt I made into a battle damage

2nd Pic.. well you get the idea

20130331_233816_zps86a87ce0.jpg

20130331_233751_zps02426b5f.jpg

I am so happy it works and I am by no means an expert so it is very possible for others with flaky shields to reproduce the paint job. It is not exact but I never did like the mirror like effect of the original paint job, a little clear coat will give it a shine.

I have had some people asking me to repaint their shield for them. While I am very honored you think my work is that good I am sorry but I feel very uncomfortable with taking your shields and working on them. These are expensive collectables and I would not want the guilt if something went wrong.

I will however update the first post of this page with a brief guide on how I did this which should help anyone with a repaint and if anyone has any questions please PM me I would be more than happy to assist. I just can not take your shields to repaint them, I would feel incredible guilt if anything went wrong.

11081268_1104920719534049_6407662794901177131_n.jpg

Followed your guide! It was spot on! I am very happy with the result. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the rep, not been online for some time but I am happy people have found this thread useful. I am also happy to report that my repaint is still holding up after all this time even sold my custom battle damaged one which someone was really happy with. If your Cap Shield ever flakes this seems to be the best solution

A little care and patience will certainly pay off.

Back