Hot Toys Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Thanks for posting Centrocal.

But, Oh dear, it looks worse. And those plaits look like rubber/plastic to me? Maybe they are real at the back. Those hands are fugly. Major disapointment IMO.

Starting to re-think purchasing. But its Avatar and it's HT! What to do?

costs that much? The feathers and hair?

spock-vulcan-salute-20090521-094535.jpg

My guess what will happen is HT will also release a jungle outfit Sully ( the shirt, pants, t shirt and backpack version) where he first gets out of the helicopter.

I'm just curious, where did you see a sign that tells it's a BD ver. or a final battle ver.?That means that there is unlikely going to be another one :wink1:.

I'm just curious, where did you see a sign that tells it's a BD ver. or a final battle ver.?That means that there is unlikely going to be another one :wink1:.

I noted that as well.

I guess the only reason to think there will be more is $$.
Easy to release further versions.

Looking up the John Connor figures, just out of curiosity, the first seems to have been listed as simply 'John Connor,' no mention of being a particular version, and so maybe he's right, maybe another Sully will follow this.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51555

Honestly, my friend, if you cannot swallow this price and accept that each figure costs $280 in parts and labor and research, perhaps you are better just collecting pebbles and strange rocks that you find on the ground?

:lol:lol:lol

Dude,relax.I was just questioning the price on this piece :slap

R&D will certainly factor into the cost of this and licensing. I doubt Cameron was giving away licensing rights to the highest grossing film of all time. But on top of that this figure will require a lot more plastic than past releases, more paint work (over the entire body) and there appears to be some very intricate work done to his hair, arm bands and other trinkets that one does not usually find on a production 1/6 figure.

However, I think more than any of the R&D, licensing and production costs is just that everything from HT (and other 1/6 companies) is raising in cost.

In 2008 the Predalien (another 18" figure) was $185, at that time regular HT figures sold for around $100, up to $135 for the more complex ones. Heck TT bodies have nearly doubled from from $30 each (for the "Tom Cruise" TT) up to the $49 for a narrow shoulder.

When the base price for a basic HT figure is now $150+ its not far fetched to see the odder/larger figure end up in the $300 range. Stuff is just getting more expensive :huh

So you can tell in this pic that the long braid behind him seems to be real/rooted hair.

Pretty sure the top section is sculpted; but somewhere at the back it will transition into actual braids.

I wonder if the dots will react to a blacklight or not?

Are the eyes just painted on? Because I think it'd breath a lot more life into the figure, and be more movie accurate, if they were glossy inserts into the head ala PERS (but without the rolling). Especially given the size of the Navi' eyes, I think that would have really elevated the figure's quality.

Also, this figure, especially at this price point, is just begging for a second headsculpt.

165738dllrb6fld1b44oeg.jpg

there seems to be an arrow pointing down there.

shaheylooow.:lol

I can't believe people are using R&D as an excuse for the cost of this?
I am going to buy it, so I feel justified in complaining as a consumer about the price.

What R&D? They tried loads of stuff for 2 years, none of it made it to the final figure so we get charged for it anyway?
"yeah, we were gonna ......., but we didn't" and now we have to cover the cost of that. WTF?

Before anyone starts talking about the new body, what about 300 Leonidas (no I don't want rubber bodies either), what about Hellboy, Abe? All new bodies, breaking the mould.

And the glass eyes? Even the cheap Rango figures have them. So why not here? What exactly in this production model costs that much? The feathers and hair?
Never were eyes so integral to a release IMO.

I still think it looks cool, but its not really amazing.
And it 100% is not worth this price.

This is R&D:
And these releases should have made HT Avatar ground breaking for 1/6th:
300-23.jpg
HT-RANGO-N-PRISCILLA-6.jpg

hottoys-rango-2.jpg

You'd have people complaining in a few days of why the warpaint is rubbing off their Leonidas like body after some posing. And then cracking rubber joints a couple years later. :lol

People are really complaining about visible joints on a nearly nude action figure? Wow. It's so true that collectors are spoiled.

Yeah. I've come to the conclusion that nearly nude action figures aren't for me for this reason.

It's not Hot Toys it's me.

Pretty sure the top section is sculpted; but somewhere at the back it will transition into actual braids.

I wonder if the dots will react to a blacklight or not?

Yeah, all the braids in the back appear to be "real" hair

If it's white paint, surely it will react somewhat, right?

You'd have people complaining in a few days of why the warpaint is rubbing off their Leonidas like body after some posing. And then cracking rubber joints a couple years later. :lol

I agree, wasn't suggesting a rubber body though, just that the R&D that must have gone into Leoonidas and even those Rango figures didn't up their prices ridiculously.

And what's with the weird texture on the body paint?
It looks like bad paint stippling from the 80's.

The N'avi had perfectly smooth skin?
:dunno

AND WHY NO GLASS/CLEAR PLASTIC EYES?

This would be around 18 inches or roughly 1/4 scale? That's a good one! I'm definitely getting this :D

Back