Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DX 02 base is better (I love that metal grating costume display stand) but I thought we were going on the figures and accessories.

It shouldn't be a pissing contest between the two but everything about the '89 DX figure is better than the TDK DX figure save maybe the accessible PERS underneath the head with the TDK. The magnet design is ingenious.

The '89 looks more like/is identical to the film, poses nicely and the suit doesn't restrict movement, doesn't have any QC problems so far, great proportions and has a well done cape. The DX fails on everyone of those points, I noticed that the day I got it (though, I didn't have QC issues considering I got two DCD batches).

Last edited:
I was kidding about the base, just screwing around.

Personally, I have no affinity for the TDK suit. I understand the whole "Dark Knight" thing and its literal interpretation of 'armor'... but I think that particular suit will not be so warmly remembered in the years to come. It's functional, but it's not Batman.

The 1989 suit, the one that started it all... now that's a beautiful creation that will be iconic forever.

DX02
2 mouth's
2nd head
backpack
grapple gun
sticky bomb gun
mine
2 batarangs
holster
light up stand

DX09
2 mouth's
speargun
batarang with rope
timer bomb
hand stop
3 smoke bomds
grapple gun
2 throwing stars
light up stand
remote for batmobile

I really don't think it is light on acc

Last edited:
Personally, I have no affinity for the TDK suit. I understand the whole "Dark Knight" thing and its literal interpretation of 'armor'... but I think that particular suit will not be so warmly remembered in the years to come. It's functional, but it's not Batman.

The 1989 suit, the one that started it all... now that's a beautiful creation that will be iconic forever.

It's interesting, the "Knight" motif for Batman actually started with '89.

https://youtu.be/huQ_PLmXm_M?t=1m

"The knight look, with medieval elements, this night in armor feel to it."

I remember several articles from 1989 that mentioned Batman being similar to Robocop. Funny how once it was accepted, the feelings toward it changed. Then fast forward to 2008 and the supposed Robocop inspirations returned.

I'm the biggest Nolan Batman nut you will find, but I think the DX02 suffers from some SERIOUS inaccuracies in the arms and the head sculpt.

The DX09 while not PERFECT, seems a lot more accurate, particularly the cowl

I remember thinking that Hot Toys took creative liberties on the V1 and DX 02 gauntlets by simplifying it by attaching the elbow pads to them. It wasn't until I noticed that the elbow pads were actually attached to the gauntlets? I always thought that was extremely odd but it is accurate.

I think what would benefit a HT TDK/TDKR Batman the most would be one that goes back to the drawing board. I think the issue lies with trying to make a 1 to 2 piece rubber suit. The Begins suit and '89 suit, despite being more complex than their figure counterparts can get away with it, but the TDK really can't. When they do this, the figures end up appearing more bulky and immobile compared to the others.

Makes me wonder how they're going to do the Returns suit. It'll probably be just like the '89 one in terms of design.

This is interesting. Returns has defienetly had bigger impact to me seeing it as a kid and being mystified by it's quirky, dark atmosphere. Seeing them as a adult i always thought the 89 Batman is clearly the best movie of the old ones.
Catwoman and Penguin are defienetely the ones i'm interested at, newer Batman suite, meh.

Not the US batch, which is arguably a different design (as it has substantially different materials that don't leak). I have had several for almost two years now, and have yet to see any leakage whatsoever.

It sucks for the other batches, and I'm not denying that I feel for those owners, but for the sake of figure design comparison, it's not relevant, as they're essentially a different design.

For the sake of arguing QC and production, that is a big deal. DX02 took 3 production runs to deliver collectors a figure without production flaw. They screwed up once, corrected those mistakes and then a whole new set cropped up the sceond time. The U.S. release was practically DX Batman v.2, they had to redesign the construction of the figure to make it work.

Point being, DX09 has already gone out to HK collectors with no reports of significant QC issues, and now it's shipping outside of HK. Could issues be found in the future, sure, but DX02 was a train wreck from day 1 and DX09 is not.

And i'm sure someone will argue DX09 has less issues because of things learned from DX02, but that's not a good argument. MMS TDK Batman was fine, the rubber held up, no QC problems, it was just way off in detail and proportons to Bale. Nothing should have been learned from DX02, Hot Toys should have stuck to what worked with the MMS figure, it was fine for OC Batman and MMS TDK, they reinvent the wheel and it bites them and us in the ass.

The "inaccuracies" are quite minor, and on the level of the "innaccuracies" you see in DX09.

Totally disagree on the minor nature of the DX02 innaccurracies and the idea of DX09 havint equally blatant ones. See my response below.

I'm the biggest Nolan Batman nut you will find, but I think the DX02 suffers from some SERIOUS inaccuracies in the arms and the head sculpt.

The DX09 while not PERFECT, seems a lot more accurate, particularly the cowl

DX02 is more accurate. But it still has a ton of room for improvement

Yes, the DX09 probably is flawed too, no figure is perfect, but those issues with the DX02 are very significant and in your face, where DX09 I think would take heavy scrutiny to spot. The cowl is probably the highlight of 09 for people, as even the Begins cowl from Hot Toys has suffered shape and proportion issues, but the TDK especially, and the DX worse than the MMS. While the DX02 improved the facial details of the cowl from the MMS, the shape got too elongated and lost curvature, and then the neck got slimmer and longer, the whole head area is not only off, but in an ugly way. Inaccurrate can be ok when it still looks nice but the DX02 issues can be ugly. DX09 has HT's best Batman cowl work to date, most accurrate to the real one.

2rn91c4.jpg

I wonder which 1/4 figures we will get and which ones will be 1/6

Important ones like Organ Grinder, Swordswallower, Poodle lady (and poodle), Chip Shreck, Ice Princess = 1/4

Minor characters like Batman, Catwoman, Penguin = 1/6 (if they even get figures made ;))

For the sake of arguing QC and production, that is a big deal. DX02 took 3 production runs to deliver collectors a figure without production flaw. They screwed up once, corrected those mistakes and then a whole new set cropped up the sceond time. The U.S. release was practically DX Batman v.2, they had to redesign the construction of the figure to make it work.

Point being, DX09 has already gone out to HK collectors with no reports of significant QC issues, and now it's shipping outside of HK. Could issues be found in the future, sure, but DX02 was a train wreck from day 1 and DX09 is not.

And i'm sure someone will argue DX09 has less issues because of things learned from DX02, but that's not a good argument. MMS TDK Batman was fine, the rubber held up, no QC problems, it was just way off in detail and proportons to Bale. Nothing should have been learned from DX02, Hot Toys should have stuck to what worked with the MMS figure, it was fine for OC Batman and MMS TDK, they reinvent the wheel and it bites them and us in the ass.

Totally disagree on the minor nature of the DX02 innaccurracies and the idea of DX09 havint equally blatant ones. See my response below.

Yes, the DX09 probably is flawed too, no figure is perfect, but those issues with the DX02 are very significant and in your face, where DX09 I think would take heavy scrutiny to spot. The cowl is probably the highlight of 09 for people, as even the Begins cowl from Hot Toys has suffered shape and proportion issues, but the TDK especially, and the DX worse than the MMS. While the DX02 improved the facial details of the cowl from the MMS, the shape got too elongated and lost curvature, and then the neck got slimmer and longer, the whole head area is not only off, but in an ugly way. Inaccurrate can be ok when it still looks nice but the DX02 issues can be ugly. DX09 has HT's best Batman cowl work to date, most accurrate to the real one.

:goodpost:

hmm the last few pages have convinced me to wait for the Batman Returns figure.

The idea of it having both the glider wing and Keaton sculpt is enough to make me wait...

Here it is so far... 5000x 3mb, i couldn't find the right text(I got close though)... so I'll probably fix that soon.

Still needs to be cleaned up a bit I think but if you think it's good enough I can send you the full image(image shack won't allow me to put it up for some reason. :mad:)

oswaldcobblepotposter.jpg

Back