Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cowl looks legit. Only $120?

I'm not into cosplaying but I could definitely see myself wearing that while I work, or while I'm cutting the grass, or cooking, or taking a dump.

that's what I mean, the humour is so subtle that is barely passes as humour. I much prefer "YOU DIDNT INVITE ME SO I CRASHED!" to "you didn't get the memo?".

forgive me if I like to also laugh along with a comic book movie rather then be stonefaced throughout because the film takes itself so seriously.

its funny that I should hate marvel movies so much. most people tell me "you like funny scenes and comic book action? watch a marvel movie". that's probably true, they would be todays equivlant of 90's batman then anything. the problem wit that is, I DONT LIKE MARVEL HEROES. I grew up watching batman and superman, they are like my idols as far as superheroes go. if im gonna watch a "comic book movie", it has to have these 2. I did enjoy Spiderman 1 and Ironman 1, but that's it, im not into marvel people. but in recent years, the batman and superman films have gotten so drab and boring that I just have lost all interest. I don't care so much about how accurate to the comics a movie is, its how I feel about it, like any movie, that means the most. did it capture my imagination? did it have a movieing musical score? was the iconography there? for me, the new ones missed this entirely. they aren't nearly as fun and cool and the originals.

It's good film. Not every film has the same kind of humor. Naturally, there are going to be films where people laugh out loud, and films with subtler humor. At the end of the day, I don't care if I laugh, I don't care if I cry; I care that I'm entertained. That's what I go to a film for, and, whether I chuckle or near piss myself laughing doesn't matter, so long as I'm entertained. The Nolan films entertain me, and so do the Burton films; just in different ways.

I got "Didn't you get the memo?" as sarcastic rather than humorous. And though I did not like how the Mr Earle character treated Fox, he wasn't actually a bad person and was only moving a major company towards a stock flotation. He might have hated Fox but he may just also have loved Wayne Enterprises.

It just seemed snippy and petty to treat the CEO, who had moved the company forward through the years when Wunderkind Wayne was too busy shoving his head up his own arse, that way.

In this case the 'humour' such as it has been described, seemed very mean.

I always saw him as being quite conniving. You just got a sense that the guy wasn't exactly the greatest human being. The only thing that made me second guess that was "the empire will be waiting" during the funeral, but I chalk it up to him just getting progressively worse as he got older/gained more power.

If you think that he was keeping the company going for the "Wayne" name, or anything other than the 8 figure salary he was probably bringing in (maybe more), you're sorely mistaken. He already didn't like Fox, as evidenced by him being in R&D, rather than his previous position, and he fired him to cover his own ***, that hardly makes him a stand up guy.

It's called "poetic justice", "just desserts", or, as Shakespeare put it, "hoist with his own petard".

And it is most definitely supposed to have at least a humorous edge to it.

Too subtle? :dunno

:exactly: :goodpost: :exactly: :goodpost:

That one single dance scene with CW in BR blows away anything CW in TDKR.

I don't even remember any of that, I just remember the Rubber Ducky.:lol

It's called "poetic justice", "just desserts", or, as Shakespeare put it, "hoist with his own petard".

And it is most definitely supposed to have at least a humorous edge to it.

Too subtle? :dunno

No, not subtle enough. It was petty not funny, and overtly obvious and not subtle in any way. It was also revenge for the sake of it. To someone who in the film did not deserve to be treated that way.

= not funny, not in the least bit subtle...unless your idea of subtly is getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer.

Can't fault the Shakespeare reference though.

Exactly. It wasn't a 'haha' joke, it was a "brick joke". Repeating a throwaway line later on when it can have some more significance...in this case, to help twist the knife a little bit.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/BatmanBegins

Earle was totally the "corrupt corporate executive" trope. He wasn't directly involved in the 'missing' Microwave Emitter in that he wasn't an "inside man" working with the League of Shadows to steal it, but he was responsible in that it was his secret weapon project, that the Wayne Enterprises board didn't really green light.

You get the feeling that he was pushing ahead with its production in secret anyway, without the board's approval, which is why he wants Fox to give him all records and backups that exist of it once it's stolen to cover his tracks, and why he fires Fox for asking "too many questions" about it.

Besides which, you seem to be letting all that you have read about the character colour your feelings about him as seen on the screen, attributing aspects to the character which were clearly not shown. In the film and as we see him, he's a bit of an arse but not evil or even actually bad. But he got pushed as CEO, dropped from the firm and humiliated in front of the board. For his treatment of Fox, he should have faced an industrial tribunal, and not much more...."Don't be mean to good staff, but you do bring in billions of dollars...naughty boy, don't do it again!"

It was a cheap pay-off.

Last edited:
No, not subtle enough. It was petty not funny, and overtly obvious and not subtle in any way. It was also revenge for the sake of it. To someone who in the film did not deserve to be treated that way.

= not funny, not in the least bit subtle...unless your idea of subtly is getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer.

Can't fault the Shakespeare reference though.

So, what? It's perfectly acceptable that he would fire Fox, with no justifiable cause other than to cover his own ***, but, when Bruce Wayne disagrees with the decision, and decides to take control of the "empire" (which belonged to him, to begin with), and, in the process, gives Fox Earle's position, that's completely wrong? Though I do think that there was some revenge element to it for the audience, you also have to think of it from a business perspective.

Lucius Fox kept Bruce Wayne's most important secret, and, in the process, earned Wayne's trust; as majority shareholder, Wayne has a large stake in the company, and he wants to protect his investment; wouldn't you rather that your company be in the hands of someone you could trust, rather than a man who, even though he might be a good businessman, just created a weapon that nearly destroyed the city.

As for the subtlety, your missing the point. The joke isn't subtle, but the humor is. It isn't supposed to be "ha ha" funny, but there is still some humor in it, petty or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jye4ever View Post
That one single dance scene with CW in BR blows away anything CW in TDKR.

100% agreed. Hathaway must be the worst "catwoman" ever aside from halle berry. is it even fair to call her that? she was more like leather clad biker chick, not anything cat like about her and her flat *** and didn't even bother to use the name catwoman. just pathetic.

I don't even remember any of that, I just remember the Rubber Ducky.:lol

ignorance is bliss huh?:slap

ignorance is bliss huh?:slap

It's not my fault. Blame my poor memory. :lol That being said, I'm just saying, if I can't remember it, it must not've been that important. I don't think it'd be fair to say the TDKR scene is more important, just because I remember it, though. Give me a few years, and, if I can't remember the TDKR scene, I'll just chalk it up to them being equally irrelevant (to me, that is).:lol

Everytime I see the scene of Penguin saying he needs a cold drink of ice water it makes me thirsty for ice water. :lol

It makes me think of dat azz falling face first into the ground like a bag of ****.

That's probably the best villain death scene in any of the 7 Batman films. The ****er tried to kill kids, which is unreedeamable, but you almost feel sorry for him when Batman's ruined this little, deformed, abandoned freak's plans as he rises up out of the water with that operatic music. To this day I'm not even sure how he died.

It makes me think of dat azz falling face first into the ground like a bag of ****.

That's probably the best villain death scene in any of the 7 Batman films. The ****er tried to kill kids, which is unreedeamable, but you almost feel sorry for him when Batman's ruined this little, deformed, abandoned freak's plans as he rises up out of the water with that operatic music. To this day I'm not even sure how he died.

I'll go even better by claiming its one of the best villain deaths in cbm history and maybe even any movie history.

Not because you jump up with joy fist pumping the air because he deserved it.

But because you feel for him.

The way his own clowns abandon him knowing Batman is coming, the lady fading to black, with her solemn voice.

Hell, even the fat clown's worried soft objection about not agreeing to Penguin killing children then getting killed himself is freaking memorable, just as much as Bob's death.

The whole ****ing movie is filled with memorable scenes, nose biting, catwoman's ***, penguin army speech, giant fireplace, so on and so forth.

Besides which, you seem to be letting all that you have read about the character colour your feelings about him as seen on the screen, attributing aspects to the character which were clearly not shown. In the film and as we see him, he's a bit of an arse but not evil or even actually bad. But he got pushed as CEO, dropped from the firm and humiliated in front of the board. For his treatment of Fox, he should have faced an industrial tribunal, and not much more...."Don't be mean to good staff, but you do bring in billions of dollars...naughty boy, don't do it again!"

It was a cheap pay-off.

Three points I want to make:

1. We agree that Earle was an arse, right? You mention

But he got pushed as CEO, dropped from the firm and humiliated in front of the board.

--like there is something wrong with that. If he's an arse, why shouldn't he be treated like one?

2. But being an arse, by itself, is not grounds for firing. Earle was trying to cover his own ILLEGAL tracks by firing Fox. You claim that I'm
attributing aspects to the character which were clearly not shown. In the film and as we see him, he's a bit of an arse but not evil or even actually bad.
So to counter that, here is the crucial exchange, verbatim.
------------------------------------
Earle: I need some information on a Wayne Enterprises 47B 1M-E

Fox: 1M-E...hmm It's a Microwave Emitter. It was designed to vaporize an enemy's water supply. Rumor was, they tested it dispersing water-based chemical agents into the air, but, isn't that illegal?

Earle: I want all information on the development of this project, all data, files, backup discs on my desk right away.

Fox: Did you lose one?

Earle: I'm merging your department with Archives, and I'm firing you. Didn't you get the memo?
So in your interpretation, why did he fire Fox?

3. You said a reprimand (Industrial Tribunal) would have been sufficient?
"Don't be mean to good staff, but you do bring in billions of dollars...naughty boy, don't do it again!"
How do you know he brings in billions of dollars, unless you are
attributing aspects to the character which were clearly not shown
In fact, the only suggestion that he is actually bringing in money turns out to be the profit from sales of Wayne stock to...Bruce Wayne himself.

And, just to tie it back to Batman Returns, Earle is the type of corrupt corporate executive that Max Shrek is, clearly willing to get involved in anything, no matter how dangerous, shady or downright illegal, for the potential of profit. The difference is we know Shrek has killed and attempted to kill those that got in his way or threatened to expose him (evidenced by Fred's hand and shooting Selina and Batman). We haven't seen Earle go that far and get blood on his hands, but he also hasn't been backed into a corner like Shrek was.

It actually has a green tint to it during a few scenes, especially when it's on his clothes.

At the end though, maaaan, he's literally choking on it and blood. The submersion and possibly toxins really made that **** come out. His liver and insides were probably on fire, hence the "cold drink of ice water".

Back