Hot Toys Alien Warrior problems

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had trouble with these Alien Warrior models?

• Original, smooth head: I had breakage

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Original, smooth head: I had no problems

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Black, ridged head: I had breakage

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Black, ridged head: I had no problems

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Scar: I had breakage

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Scar: I had no problems

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Brown repaint, ridged head: I had breakage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brown repaint, ridged head: I had no problems

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Hmm not too bad man, how do they fair against the ones the Predators comes with originally

I don't have any predators, but if they are like the ones the Hot Toys Marines come with, they're pretty similar. The main difference is that they have round bases instead of oval ones.

The only Alien figures I've had problems with are the Aliens warriors. I have two so far, one has the loose foot syndrome due to cracks in the plastic cup inside the foot, and the other has one loose foot and a knee I broke while posing it. I really didn't use much force, but it was more brittle than I thought, and snap! I peeled down the rubber sleeve over the knee and found that I'd snapped off the circular flanges on either side of the upper leg section that the single flange of the lower leg fits between... if you can picture that.

Anyway, I just removed the screw that holds all three pieces together and took the joint apart. Then I drilled a pair of holes in each pair of mating broken parts, pinned and super-glued them back together, and held them together until the glue set. When I was sure everything still moved freely, I replaced the screw, and rolled the sleeve back down over the knee joint. It works fine now, it bends and swivels just like before. Can't even tell it was broken, but I do handle it with extra care now to be on the safe side.

Some people probably wouldn't want to go to that much trouble to try fixing it themselves, but for me it would take more time and trouble to track down a replacement part than to fix it myself. I suppose there may come a time when I won't have a choice, but so far so good.

I don't have any predators, but if they are like the ones the Hot Toys Marines come with, they're pretty similar. The main difference is that they have round bases instead of oval ones.

The sideshow stands also have a longer metal piece. I use sideshow metal pieces in combination with the hot toys stands. The hot toys ones are too small IMO. :D

Well, received my Aliens Alien Warrior today. One of the feet on mine is rather loose. It doesn't fall off per say, however, it's so loose that that leg won't hold a pose ... i.e. he won't stand up unless I put him in a crouching position. I didn't pay 120 dollars for a 14 inch figure I have to pose in a 8 inch crouch. Any ideas for tightening the joint?

Well, received my Aliens Alien Warrior today. One of the feet on mine is rather loose. It doesn't fall off per say, however, it's so loose that that leg won't hold a pose ... i.e. he won't stand up unless I put him in a crouching position. I didn't pay 120 dollars for a 14 inch figure I have to pose in a 8 inch crouch. Any ideas for tightening the joint?

I am not sure what they are called I think grommits. They are small plastic pieces. Almost like small rubber band. I bet that would make the joint nice and snug. If not there is always superglue. Plust make sure the figure is balanced on it's tail. It works best as a tripod. Good luck! :D

I am not sure what they are called I think grommits. They are small plastic pieces. Almost like small rubber band. I bet that would make the joint nice and snug. If not there is always superglue. Plust make sure the figure is balanced on it's tail. It works best as a tripod. Good luck! :D

Super glue is fine ... for my 15 dollar NECA figure. No offense to you BadMoon, and thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. However, I just don't see why I should have to super glue a 140+ figure (original MSRP plus shipping). I may get a lot of hate for what I am about to say ... but this figure is not worth 140 dollars. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing figure. Best Alien available. But it lacks the "super" articulated feel of other Hot Toys figures. Plus, it appears this foot thing is wide spread. This is a hundred dollar figure at best, imho. I only paided 121 shipped so, I don't feel too ripped off. But, if I paid 140+ and the thing wouldn't stand (or I had to use the leg as a tripod) I would be pissed. I still love the rest of my Hot Toys figures ... and I expect to love the Endoskeleton and Rocky that are on their way. But, sadly, this figure is a disappoint to me due to it's widespread technical issues.

Id have to agree with that philosophy, altering an already expensive figure is something i take no pleasure in

Yep, and that's part of the reason I started this thread. I wanted to see if it was an isolated problem or something that was more endemic, and if it was limited to only certain models as well. It sure seems like the plastic used in some of the figures was defective.

Beyond that, though, I think the design could really have benefited from some sort of internal metal armature or something, and I don't really think it's out of line to expect that in a figure that costs so much. Still, if you can overlook their fragility (I am very conservative with my posing now) they are by far the best aliens figures out there.

Hot Toys have the vision for the figures but man they really need to step up the quality because breakage is too easy for all of their toys

Man, all these posts Ive been reading about issues with ALIENS Alien are starting to scare. I really want one, but I'm afraid it might break like all the ones Ive been hearing about.:monkey2

Here's hoping they fix these problems when(Or if) they make the Alien from ALIEN and the Dog/Ox Alien from ALIEN3...

I think it's good that we've brought these issues out in the open and discussed them, but what we really need is a solution. That is entirely up to Hot Toys, and I only hope that they're listening.

Like Jamal said, they need to raise the quality level so this kind of stuff doesn't happen so often. These figures are expensive, and I think the quality should fit the price. It may only mean changing the type of plastic they use for certain parts, like the plastic sockets in the Alien's feet. One that is more durable and won't crack up, even before the product reaches the customer. I don't think that's expecting too much.

If they just started taking steps to eliminate issues like this they would be right at the top of the heap. Nobody loves their figures more than I do, and I only want to see them continue to expand and improve their products in every way possible. :D

I've made this point in various threads on this subject , but the problem lies in the plastic used in the joints . It's just plain faulty.The AvP Alien is not very different from the Aliens Warrior as far as design and construction are concerned but it is a MUCH sturdier figure . ( I've had 2 Warriors break !) Look how much stronger McFarlanes figures are ( yes I know the articulation is not as good ) and they are of similar slim design . Also look at the Endoskeleton , the thing looks frighteningly fragile , but isn't really . Hopefully , this is a "glitch" which future releases will not suffer from .

Super glue is fine ... for my 15 dollar NECA figure. No offense to you BadMoon, and thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. However, I just don't see why I should have to super glue a 140+ figure (original MSRP plus shipping). I may get a lot of hate for what I am about to say ... but this figure is not worth 140 dollars. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing figure. Best Alien available. But it lacks the "super" articulated feel of other Hot Toys figures. Plus, it appears this foot thing is wide spread. This is a hundred dollar figure at best, imho. I only paided 121 shipped so, I don't feel too ripped off. But, if I paid 140+ and the thing wouldn't stand (or I had to use the leg as a tripod) I would be pissed. I still love the rest of my Hot Toys figures ... and I expect to love the Endoskeleton and Rocky that are on their way. But, sadly, this figure is a disappoint to me due to it's widespread technical issues.

The super glue idea is not to super glue the joint... you put a drop in the joint and then move it around fast before it dries up. That way the joint becomes tighter.

At the end of the day the Aliens Warrior has to be really the crapiest of Hot Toys productions in the sense of quality

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I'd have to agree. It's a great figure in practically every other way, but there are just way too many complaints of breakage to ignore, and mostly due to plastic failure. I don't think it's the design so much as the type of plastic used in certain key stress areas. It's seems too brittle to hold up even under normal handling. There must be more durable plastics they could've used in the same molds. If they had just used a tougher formula in the joints and foot sockets, I don't think we'd have anything to complain about now.

Back