Hot Toys 12" Conan?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess if HT does Conan now- it'll be the new movie Conan. Oh well it'll still be great- maybe followed by Arnie Conan...

HT does have Arnies permission to sculpt his likeness, so i could be possible to get his head for Conan.

Well the new guy does look more like he was originally described, thats pretty much agreed on Howard fan sites.

Although Arnie's portrayal is iconic (I don't deny it, check the premium format thread...I've been hunting for one and will continue to do so :D ) the character he played and the story itself have almost nothing to do with the original stories.

I think the bigger problem will be how he speaks. Sure Arnie didn't speak like Conan either but his accent actually suited that world ...from the previews Mamoa sounds like a Hawaiian surfer.

Not really. The books described Conan as having basically the broadest chest throughout the land, ice blue eyes, bronzed skin, black hair and a rugged face. I believe Arnold's Conan could best a gorilla in a strength match or KO a horse with a sock to the jaw. Mamoa's... not so much (though he looks like he might eat both). :huh

I'll give you that Mamoa looks more like the Ernie Chan Conan, or even the Jusko Conan from the Savage Sword covers, something a more modern audience might appreciate more, but he's a faaaaaaaaaar stretch from how Robert described him in his novellas.

Last edited:
I'd love to see HT tackle some new Arnold properties like this, Total Recall, Commando, I'd even take a Jack Slater!

Total Recall-- YES that would be fantastic!
Jingle All the Way superhero- well still good!:lol

Not really. The books described Conan as having basically the broadest chest throughout the land, ice blue eyes, bronzed skin, black hair and a rugged face. I believe Arnold's Conan could best a gorilla in a strength match or KO a horse with a sock to the jaw. Mamoa's... not so much (though he looks like he might eat both). :huh

I'll give you that Mamoa looks more like the Ernie Chan Conan, or even the Jusko Conan from the Savage Sword covers, something a more modern audience might appreciate more, but he's a faaaaaaaaaar stretch from how Robert described him in his novellas.

Fair points...though I don't remember that 'broadest chest throughout the land' line. Been a while since I've read.

Arnie didn't have ice blue eyes and black hair either? ....Mamoa's hair is much darker.

Though Howard did continually describe Conan as a 'panther' and someone that moved gracefully despite his size. Arnie always moved like the Terminator, which is common to bodybuilders. Mamoa who is naturally a bigger guy moves much faster and more fluid than Arnie was ever capable of.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the movie will be better. But I think that is more modern Hollywood compared to John Millus than it is to do with which actor is playing the role.

I think I've been able to secure a PF Arnie Conan finally ....and if they make a Mamoa one, I'll be happy to have the two of them next to each other on the shelf.

Fair points...though I don't remember that 'broadest chest throughout the land' line. Been a while since I've read.

Arnie didn't have ice blue eyes and black hair either? ....Mamoa's hair is much darker.

Though Howard did continually describe Conan as a 'panther' and someone that moved gracefully despite his size. Arnie always moved like the Terminator, which is common to bodybuilders. Mamoa who is naturally a bigger guy moves much faster and more fluid than Arnie was ever capable of.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the movie will be better. But I think that is more modern Hollywood compared to John Millus than it is to do with which actor is playing the role.

I think I've been able to secure a PF Arnie Conan finally ....and if they make a Mamoa one, I'll be happy to have the two of them next to each other on the shelf.

Arnie's eyes are blue. As for the "panther" deal, I'm gonna blame Milius. Arnold had taken, believe it or not, ballet for his body building for just that reason, and was quite capable of more graceful, fluid movement. You can see a glimpse of this when he's slipping down the stairs to the orgy chamber in Barbarian. The "broadest chest" was referring to every time Conan stood beside someone in Howard's books, it was always like, "King [blah, blah] rose, coiled muscles flexing up and down his massive frame as he stood to full height, extending his broad chest, almost as broad as the Cimmerian's..."

I really wanted the PF too, but was always disappointed with how small it is. It's not 1/4 scale. :(

OK - its obvious you haven't read any of the books if you can come to that conclusion.

And you would be vastly incorrect! I own and have read all the original REH works, have a complete run of the old Marvel comics as well plenty of the other pastiche works. A Conan newb...I think not. Granted, a lot of my perception of Conan's look has been influenced by Frazetta, Barry Windsor Smith, Buscema, and Ernie Chan growing up in the 70's.

I still say that Momoa is closer to a REH Conan even though his chest and arms could stand to be a bit bigger and the eyes blue, but I believe he'll own the character. His physique looks more naturally made than put together by weights. He definitely seems to have the pantherish movements down. Momoa even read the REH works while filming so as to get into character more.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Arnold's Conan also. It’s a great movie. I just believe this one will capture the look and feel of the character and his world better, at least the way I envisioned it while reading the stories. Hopefully, we’ll see some direct adaptations of REH work on screen in sequels.

Here is a Robert Howard description of Conan:

"........a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him that the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."

Sorry, Arnold doesn't really fit the classic Conan but he was Conan to me as a kid. Momoa definitely is closer to Robert Howard's description of Conan than Arnold. But do believe that Arnold will have the better movie. The new version of Conan seems way off, but I would buy a figure of either Conan.

Here is a Robert Howard description of Conan:

"........a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him that the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."

Sorry, Arnold doesn't really fit the classic Conan but he was Conan to me as a kid. Momoa definitely is closer to Robert Howard's description of Conan than Arnold. But do believe that Arnold will have the better movie. The new version of Conan seems way off, but I would buy a figure of either Conan.

This is also Howard describing Conan. I fail to see Momoa in this:
"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."— Robert E. Howard, The Phoenix on the Sword, 1932

This just doesn't cut it for me:
conanbarbarianempire4.jpg

When compared to this:
Conan2_1789755i.jpg

Momoa looks like he'd make a better companion to Conan. But faaaaaaar from Conan himself.

Last edited:
This is also Howard describing Conan.

Yeah, that is in the beginning of the book that I currently have in my collection. Atleast Momoa has sort of the right colored hair and thick brow. Personally, Arnold will always be Conan to me. I don't understand how they could have gotten it so wrong when you have so much material to choose from. I mean, Franzetta got it right why not Hollywood?

Last edited:
Yeah, that is in the beginning of the book that I currently have in my collection. Atleast Momoa has sort of the right colored hair and thick brow. Personally, Arnold will always be Conan to me. I don't understand how they could have gotten it so wrong when you have so much material to choose from. I mean, Franzetta got it right why not Hollywood?

From the very beginning of the movie, until Conan finds the sword, and the ambush at the stones, all that ____ is heavily Howard. The rest is kinda Hollywood. Momoa seems more like one of Conan's tough as nails companions than he does Conan himself. While Arnold's acting wasn't the best, his physical presence just oozed Conan. I guess that's the problem I'm having with Momoa. While he might be the perfect Conan for a younger generation, after reading all the Howard books, collecting the comics, seeing the movies, etc., he's just not there. It's kinda like Bond. Sure Craig is friggin' awesome, but he's no Connery. That means nothing to the younger generation, but makes perfect sense to us old farts. :lol

Would love a Arnold Conan figure.

And bases on his barbarian performance in Game of Thones, I think Mamoa will do fine. If the movie is decent, might even want a figure of him.

From the very beginning of the movie, until Conan finds the sword, and the ambush at the stones, all that ____ is heavily Howard. The rest is kinda Hollywood. Momoa seems more like one of Conan's tough as nails companions than he does Conan himself. While Arnold's acting wasn't the best, his physical presence just oozed Conan. I guess that's the problem I'm having with Momoa. While he might be the perfect Conan for a younger generation, after reading all the Howard books, collecting the comics, seeing the movies, etc., he's just not there. It's kinda like Bond. Sure Craig is friggin' awesome, but he's no Connery. That means nothing to the younger generation, but makes perfect sense to us old farts. :lol

While I agree totally with the above I am looking forward to Momoa's performance. Or maybe its curiosity. I think he looks the part well with the hair and the brow but he isnt as massive as he could be which Im willing to forgive if this turns out to be a killer film and/or performance. Arnie will always be Coana though no matter what and I would love for HT to do something with him.

Connery is your Bond?
How old are you? Were you actually in Nam ?

Well, the beginning with Conan getting buff by pushing a huge wheel isn't really Howard either. I wish they would have kept Thoth-a-mon in the first movie instead of Thulsa-doom. Wasn't Thulsa-doom a Kull character?

Connery is your Bond?
How old are you? Were you actually in Nam ?

Connery is my Bond and I grew up with Moore. Connery is just that much better than the rest.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I remember thinking how hokey James Bond was growing up with Moore's trying to be Mr. Sexy with his bad combover and his "Hi-Yeah!" Mr. Furley karate, all but despised the movies. When I saw Never Say Never again on HBO, that completely changed my views entirely (despite being Connery's worst Bond film). I hunted down all the Connery Bonds on VHS and never looked back.

Back