Hot Toys 1/6 Ironman (Gunmetal Grey Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys 1/6 Ironman (silly thing version)

If this is the Marvel SDCC EX, it will prove to me that Sideshow is completely out of touch with their Marvel fans. This is just a Mk II with darker colors and some scratches, a really "silly" idea and a cheap trick to make a few $$$. I would have preferred a "battle damaged" Iron Man MKIII or a stealth IM MKIII. Only way I will pick this up is if it extremely limited.

I really don't see this as the SDCC EX. My bet still goes on an archive set.

It's actually a Mark III with grey paint. The Mark II has rivets and comes with the helmeted Tony head.

Since this is an limited exclusive, I can just shake my head and walk away. If this were a regular release by HT, I'd be a bit frustrated that it isn't a battle damaged IM.

Really, it looks almost exactly like an unpainted figure that has just been primer coated.

For all intents and purposes its a "store exclusive" and nothing more. I see this being imported by SSC for their SDCC Exclusive because how else do you intend to get it if you are out of HK?

For all intents and purposes its a "store exclusive" and nothing more. I see this being imported by SSC for their SDCC Exclusive because how else do you intend to get it if you are out of HK?

The same way people get the Ani-Com Scar; people that want complete collections and include every variant can pay the big bucks. :monkey1

If this is the SDCC EX, it just seems like a 'silly' waste and quite boring. Like I said, if the ES is low, I will pick it up just to try and make a buck or help out a fellow freak, but I would have prefered a battle damaged or Stealth version.

The same way people get the Ani-Com Scar; people that want complete collections and include every variant can pay the big bucks.

No offense Kibishii, because we do see eye to eye on a lot of things, but this is the "silliest" thing I've read in a while. Saying that if they want it then they can pay a lot of money instead of SSC doing their collectors a service by importing a bit as an exclusive sounds like sour grapes and again makes no sense.

If this is the SDCC EX, it just seems like a 'silly' waste and quite boring. Like I said, if the ES is low, I will pick it up just to try and make a buck or help out a fellow freak, but I would have prefered a battle damaged or Stealth version.

By definition the ES will be lower than what is out there in the traditional models. Our preferences have nothing to do with it. I would have preferred that we got the original Adi Granov conceptual suit or the Phil Saunders conceptual War Machine or the Phil Saunders conceptual Underwater armor if we were going to move away from the continuity of the film but this is what they did.

Just because it isn't ideal I don't think its a waste for SSC to import it especially because getting Asian exclusive things are a ^^^^^ and a half already. I consider it a good thing for their US collectors. It it what I would have chosen? No. Does it rate under an archive set? Absolutely not, coloring aside HT's Iron Man Mark 3 is on track for figure of the year. Thinking about Marvel's license itself, the last archive set is still sitting around the SSC warehouse and the busts were....well a bust so I can't really think of anything other than something that'd have to be shipped home from the Con.

Let's not forget though we are speculating, we don't have confirmation its the SSC SDCC Ex, just that its seems to be a high contender.

Saying that if they want it then they can pay a lot of money instead of SSC doing their collectors a service by importing a bit as an exclusive sounds like sour grapes and again makes no sense.

Just because it isn't ideal I don't think its a waste for SSC to import it especially because getting Asian exclusive things are a ^^^^^ and a half already. I consider it a good thing for their US collectors. Is it what I would have chosen? No. Does it rate under an archive set? Absolutely not, coloring aside HT's Iron Man Mark 3 is on track for figure of the year.

I see what you are saying and I didn't intend it to come across as sour grapes (which it did). Since 1/6th scale for the most part is not my thing, nor is being a completist on every variant, I was inconsiderate of the 1/6th fans which was made even less sense considering that I have never liked the Archive sets and would love for Sideshow to do away with that line anyway. :thwak

I was just SDCC saying that my best guess for the EX would be another Archive set since that is their usual. I agree that even the Hot Toys "Silly" Ironman would be more popular and make the 1/6th fans probably very happy.

Last edited:

*will flip this* :)

i love SDCC :rock

WHVT R YOU WAITIN FOR? An answer silly. :rolleyes:

This is the grey Ironman people were speculating would be a SDCC exclusive. Not impressed so far. Would rather wait for the inevitable stealth Ironman. See what that's like.

Oops, slow off the mark. Silly bold edit's not working either.

if you change your mind, I'll get one for you :rock. Of course at cost. I was kidding about the flip thingy ... or am i? .....:devil

Flip it Toe. :rock

If you're going to get it anyway, I'd rather see you make some money on this, the silly boring Ironman.

I appreciate the offer. You rock blood. :rock

Sideshow or other company needs to cop like a dozen of mark 3, re color it with some cool color combination, and re name it to something like sideshow X hot toys ironman.

A red X white color scheme for marlboro ironman, a red X blue for a pepsi ironman, a red X yellow for a McDonald's ironman, maybe even a purple X yellow for the LA Lakers owners (maybe with one to give away to a lucky fan or something), or perhaps a full black suit for the SS version, you guys get the idea.

Not more than a dozen of each though so that they will be uber limited and exclusive. The fans will go crazy over these variants and would wanna collect them all!
Man, I'm "Andy Warhol" of our generation :D

Unlike the ani com ver which was actually a variant that appeared in the actual movie, we didn't actually get a grey mark 3 in the ironman movie.

Unless of course, you are treating it as a pre painted mark 3, when tony was bout to go to that party. Even then, those didn't have any battle damage. So I don't know what to say anymore..

The same way people get the Ani-Com Scar; people that want complete collections and include every variant can pay the big bucks. :monkey1

i think after the MKII i'm gonna call it quits on this line until the new movie comes out and brings us some new figures ***fingers crossed for a bada#s war machine***

Some more pics of this:

HTSillyVersion1.jpg

HTSillyVersion2.jpg

HTSillyVersion3.jpg

HTSillyVersion4.jpg

It's primer iron man. :lol

Its definitely growing on me. Its definitely conceptual and out of continuity. I would have preferred something else but I am growing to like it and I will buy it. :lol

If in Iron Man 3, Tony's Mark 6 malfunctions or gets take over and he has to rely on the derelict and rusted Mark III to save the day, I hope it looks like the silly thing exclusive, because that's the only way I'll ever buy this.

And that's a long shot.

From recent comments by Robert Downey Jr. it seems like the suit is being retooled for Iron Man 2. Most likely nothing too drastic although with Iron Man they could get away with it....but I guarantee that if there are anything like the small alterations that were done in the Spider-Man films, it'll be enough to warrant new figures from HT and diehards will be all over the way that Star Wars diehards can explain the subtile changes of Vader's costuming from one film to the other. Never say never but I have a feeling you'll never see this on screen.

One thing though, anyone get a firm street date on this? Its just repainted so the only thing is to release and whether or not it'll be exclusive overseas? I haven't found any real hard information other than a post on a foreign site saying "coming soon".

From recent comments by Robert Downey Jr. it seems like the suit is being retooled for Iron Man 2. Most likely nothing too drastic although with Iron Man they could get away with it....but I guarantee that if there are anything like the small alterations that were done in the Spider-Man films, it'll be enough to warrant new figures from HT and diehards will be all over the way that Star Wars diehards can explain the subtile changes of Vader's costuming from one film to the other. Never say never but I have a feeling you'll never see this on screen.

One thing though, anyone get a firm street date on this? Its just repainted so the only thing is to release and whether or not it'll be exclusive overseas? I haven't found any real hard information other than a post on a foreign site saying "coming soon".

Aww, that's a bummer. I hoped Iron Man would follow the tradition of Batman flicks and introduce a new suit for each successive sequel. It'd be practical and logical too, considering the Iron Man suit is significantly based around bleeding edge technology. It practically epitomizes Moore's Law. I mean, how often did the IM suit change or get completely overhauled in the comics?

Of course, I'd still buy the toys and collectibles even if the suit changes were minor, but I would wish for more.

In regards to Silly Thing, it's making an appearance at SDCC, right? That's what I read when it first reared it's head on ToyWorld forums.

Back