Hot Toys 1/6 Hoth Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The money I saved not buying retail will make her reception a lot warmer, I can tell you that.

Exactly.

$50 off helped me a bit with this figure, but part of the problem is it just brings the figure back to what I think it should have been in the first place.:lol

Leia figs, other than the magic of the headsculpt, are always so basic. I'm really glad HT was able to keep Hoth Leia at the same $205 that the ANH version was, but the new TLJ Leia is $220, despite it being pretty much just as basic as the previous Leias.

I was just looking at the SSC Luke Jedi pics - you really have to wonder what a Leia produced by Sideshow today would look like.:horror

I think the price for this figure is fair by normal pricing these days. She’s not completely bare bones and the outfit feels more involved than her white dress from the first film. Still glad I got it for a discount though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the price for this figure is fair by normal pricing these days. She’s not completely bare bones and the outfit feels more involved than her white dress from the first film. Still glad I got it for a discount though.

"Normal pricing" is all relative. The thing about the human brain is it can get used to just about anything and call it "normal."

Given what these figures are (and in comparison to everyday, real-world things,) I think to me, 1/6 figs "feel" like they should be in the range of $140-150 for basic figs to $180-190 for complex figs. These are the pricepoints I battle to achieve, whether by coupons, RP's, discounts or good old fashioned "luck" (brought about by patience and dogged perseverance.)

Figures like the $270 for Snowspeeder Luke, or $230 for something very obscure (though yeah, complex) like Dengar just felt crazy-high to me.

That first Leia was a rip-off, even by HT standards back then. Poorly made dress -- basically $200 for the sculpt, belt and boots.

It's like $235 for Tarkin... but $30 more gets you the new Jack Sparrow with tons more stuff and a massive base. Some times the prices are strange.

But these are 'luxury items' and they are certainly priced that way.

Well but the thing is we know what they charge now. Perceived value and what we think something should cost isn’t the same thing unfortunately as what reality is. I don’t like it either but I know what I’m getting into.

In fairness I really don’t think Hot Toys goes as overboard with over pricing compared to Sideshow (that new Jabba being priced close to $500 more for a retooled/repainted release is ridiculous).

Jabba is the most luxurious pricing.

You want luxury? You get Jabba now.
Jabba is stupid pricing. That’s Sideshow taking total advantage of collectors. There’s no way costs have gone up that greatly to justify such a high price hike when it’s something they’re largely re-using. Yeah it’s got a couple new aspects but still.

:lol I won’t lie part of me is just upset because I really want it but I just can’t bring myself to. Especially with Sideshow’s dodgy quality. He looks good for now but not almost a grand good.

That first Leia was a rip-off, even by HT standards back then. Poorly made dress -- basically $200 for the sculpt, belt and boots.

It's like $235 for Tarkin... but $30 more gets you the new Jack Sparrow with tons more stuff and a massive base. Some times the prices are strange.

But these are 'luxury items' and they are certainly priced that way.

Leia, Yoda, Tarkin and Emperor's Royal Guard were really the last hope figs for the $170-190 HT pricepoint and all failed. Partly due to office chairs and logs, but Royal Guard and Leia were just a "take it or leave it."

My Tarkin at $190 shipped without chair or stand I felt was basically getting it for $170, which is about what I felt it was worth (it's a little above the basic-ness of Leia.) I couldn't pay that $235 plus shipping for such a basic fig.

Well but the thing is we know what they charge now. Perceived value and what we think something should cost isn’t the same thing unfortunately as what reality is. I don’t like it either but I know what I’m getting into.

In fairness I really don’t think Hot Toys goes as overboard with over pricing compared to Sideshow (that new Jabba being priced close to $500 more for a retooled/repainted release is ridiculous).

Yeah, it seems like HT's pricing has only gone up from roughly $160 5-8 years ago to around $210 today (though yeah, they do seem to be steadily heading into the $220-230 area) whereas Sideshow has gone from $130 average back then to $230 average now. You'd think if your product was consistently somewhat inferior you'd be more conservative with price increases.

Hoth Leia has a more complex outfit than the Princess certainly and moreso than Tarkin... but even with the few bits of inaccurate plastic extras the $220 seems way too high. Hoth Leia in an alternate universe with proper pricing would be $150 alternate dollars... :)

But hey -- we all crazy for our dollies.

Leia, Yoda, Tarkin and Emperor's Royal Guard were really the last hope figs for the $170-190 HT pricepoint and all failed. Partly due to office chairs and logs, but Royal Guard and Leia were just a "take it or leave it."

My Tarkin at $190 shipped without chair or stand I felt was basically getting it for $170, which is about what I felt it was worth (it's a little above the basic-ness of Leia.) I couldn't pay that $235 plus shipping for such a basic fig.

Yeah, it seems like HT's pricing has only gone up from roughly $160 5-8 years ago to around $210 today (though yeah, they do seem to be steadily heading into the $220-230 area) whereas Sideshow has gone from $130 average back then to $230 average now. You'd think if your product was consistently somewhat inferior you'd be more conservative with price increases.
That’s what’s so irritating. If Sideshow’s quality actually matched their pricing there’d be some justification (though I still think Jabba is way, way too high no matter how you look at it) but as is it’s like pay a premium for our crap. It’s like a slap in the face. They know we want the stuff and that’s partially a problem we’ve created for ourselves but they can’t realistically think what they’re charging is in line with what they put out.

Sideshow Steve: "Hey Bob how much is the Jabba and throne set selling for on eBay?"

Sideshow Bob: "About 800 bucks Steve"

Sideshow Steve: "Hey Bob, you reckon we could remake that throne in plastic so as to cut our materials costs by 80%?"

Sideshow Bob: "Can do Steve, how much you want to charge for it?"

Sideshow Steve: "800 bucks Bob, throw in a couple pillows and that naked little monkey."

That’s what’s so irritating. If Sideshow’s quality actually matched their pricing there’d be some justification (though I still think Jabba is way, way too high no matter how you look at it) but as is it’s like pay a premium for our crap. It’s like a slap in the face. They know we want the stuff and that’s partially a problem we’ve created for ourselves but they can’t realistically think what they’re charging is in line with what they put out.

The issue is that with so many of their figs, they know that HT won't make them yet fans want them. My guess is they were blindsided by a tip about a HT Jabba so it didn't work out this time (with HT being a bit more unpredictable after power droid.)

I imagine there will be many Sideshow Jabbas in Dubai.

And a great many Admiral Akbars (with the character name in quotations and an exclamation point after it for some reason.)

Sideshow Steve: "Hey Bob how much is the Jabba and throne set selling for on eBay?"

Sideshow Bob: "About 800 bucks Steve"

Sideshow Steve: "Hey Bob, you reckon we could remake that throne in plastic so as to cut our materials costs by 80%?"

Sideshow Bob: "Can do Steve, how much you want to charge for it?"

Sideshow Steve: "800 bucks Bob, throw in a couple pillows and that naked little monkey."

"Yeah, and we scale the naked little monkey up from a Hasbro fig even if it makes the limbs fat, and source some 1/6 scale Pier 1 Imports pillows off ebay.":lol

Got her from Sideshow two days ago. I absolutely love her, one of my favorite headsculpts.
Just a few quick pictures I took right after unboxing her:

p1040445rzjcr.jpg

p1040452dcjb2.jpg

p10404552qkzj.jpg

p1040460a0jdc.jpg

I didn’t fully catch up here but I saw that people were using 70% rubbing alcohol to completely remove the blue dots. So if they’re that easily cleaned, they’re basically a nonissue, right?

Back