1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Average price of a new figure to the UK (Including shipping & Import Duty) is approx. £280...which, as of today's exchange rates, is roughly $515 AUD / $365 US. Hobby is getting super 'spensive.

Yikes! Yeah, it's personally getting harder to justify these. I'm pretty happy with my Marvel collection, with Gamora rounding out my Guardians later this year and filling the last bit of shelf space. I think she'll be the last Marvel one. Even if they do Nebula or Mantis, the prices will probably be even higher by then.:slap

Average price of a new figure to the UK (Including shipping & Import Duty) is approx. £280...which, as of today's exchange rates, is roughly $515 AUD / $365 US. Hobby is getting super 'spensive.

:exactly: It sure is! I only buy from UK sellers but it seems as though £220 - £230 is near enough the 'norm' for Hot Toys figures nowadays from the UK retailers.

I managed to get the deluxe edition for £219.99 from Planet Action Figures (luckily I had some reward points to use :yess:) which I thought was a pretty good price for a deluxe. :)

Yikes! Yeah, it's personally getting harder to justify these. I'm pretty happy with my Marvel collection, with Gamora rounding out my Guardians later this year and filling the last bit of shelf space. I think she'll be the last Marvel one. Even if they do Nebula or Mantis, the prices will probably be even higher by then.:slap

Hard to justify even in U.S....and not knocking HT as not being an insider who knows what their actual costs are? I know for sure shipping companies raised rates. I know some polystone stuff I'd look at is way up, and so was within-:(U.S. shipping.

Was lookin' at my 'bashed IW Cap - mostly HT except custom sculpt - and comparing to what retail SSC would have been, with shipping. The promo version is pretty much a $300 U.S. dollar figure - Bucky not far behind. ('Bashed version about as much, if not more...:banghead)

HT can do great stuff for sure, but it'll be what I do with polys - maybe one, two figs a year, paid in installments. Getting priced out.:(

If it helps, my Civil War BP has held up great and I mess w. my figs - tho they are in closed cabinets. His costume is the tight stretchy stuff.
Hope they used something as sturdy for CM.

Hard to justify even in U.S....and not knocking HT as not being an insider who knows what their actual costs are? I know for sure shipping companies raised rates. I know some polystone stuff I'd look at is way up, and so was within-:(U.S. shipping.

IIRC, the retail price of Hot Toys in Hong Kong is cheaper compared to the US. If so, the difference between the retail prices in Hong Kong and your home country is a good approximation of the additional costs due to shipping, middlemen such as Sideshow, customs, etc.

Economics usually uses the Big Mac Index to compare prices between countries.

I agree if you are comparing the cost of living between two countries. However, I am referring to Hot Toys retail prices in Hong Kong converted to USD so it should be an apples to apples comparison except for the factors I mentioned such as shipping, duties, Sideshow's markup, etc.

I don't think that Hot Toys and Sideshow take cost of living into consideration when deciding on the retail prices for their products. Otherwise, it will be cheaper to buy Hot Toys from countries with a lower cost of living. My guess is that Sideshow passes on the additional costs such as freight to the customer and adds a pretty hefty % markup. That's why online retailers such as BBTS and Timewalker are able to offer Hot Toys products distributed by Sideshow for close to Sideshow's retail prices.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Sorry guys, I think New Zealand takes the cake...

If you want to order the rerelease of Hulkbuster from a NZ Hot Toy retailer, you are looking at $2000NZ now. (over $1350 US) .. Even the poxy powerpose of HB2.0 is $1000NZ. Most normal sixth scale figures are in the vicinity of $4-500 NZ, with obviously a bit more for the diecast Iron Man figures.

I currently have the Infinity Iron Man ordered online locally, because I'm now fed up with dealing with Customs charges on the more expensive figures.. it's still going to cost me $699NZ. And that was with 100 off.

Sorry guys, I think New Zealand takes the cake...

If you want to order the rerelease of Hulkbuster from a NZ Hot Toy retailer, you are looking at $2000NZ now. (over $1350 US) .. Even the poxy powerpose of HB2.0 is $1000NZ. Most normal sixth scale figures are in the vicinity of $4-500 NZ, with obviously a bit more for the diecast Iron Man figures.

I currently have the Infinity Iron Man ordered online locally, because I'm now fed up with dealing with Customs charges on the more expensive figures.. it's still going to cost me $699NZ. And that was with 100 off.

Who's the NZ Hot Toy retailer? What places do you usually buy HT from in NZ?

I have actually considered buying from Australia a few times. The exchange rate is so bad it can be cheaper on older releases on sale.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I have actually considered buying from Australia a few times. The exchange rate is so bad it can be cheaper on older releases on sale.

I’ve done that for sure. Got a brand new 1/4 Boba Fett for $370 shipped. I’ve seen the price of figures change $20 in a week though with the fluctuations.

Who's the NZ Hot Toy retailer? What places do you usually buy HT from in NZ?

Mighty Ape and Mohock are the two that sell Hot Toys that I know of. I've only ever purchased one figure from MA (they are great for games, movies), and I've never used Mohock before.

Mighty Ape and Mohock are the two that sell Hot Toys that I know of. I've only ever purchased one figure from MA (they are great for games, movies), and I've never used Mohock before.

I bought Gamora and Starlord from Mighty Ape back in 2015, their prices were reasonable back then back, a year or so later they inflated them considerably and I moved over to PC who were at least $50 or more cheaper. Not anymore though ... there are still some decent local retailers but I haven’t seen their Captain Marvel preorder yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt! I bought a Gladiator Thor months after they were out of stock and prices on eBay were outrageous but a company in AU had a deluxe in stock. With the exchange rate and slow shipping, I basically paid retail if I were buying from SS who charges tax for us Californians plus SS’s outrageous shipping. Funny how I had zero interest in the figure until it was out of stock stateside but receiving Hela and Loki made GT a must.

Always best to shop around instead of just going straight to eBay.

I've bought from Mohock a few times and the owner's a good dude, very accommodating and has a layby system if you need it. Given that he's not a large retailer though, sometimes he gets the figures quite late compared to Popcultcha/Sideshow/Mighty Ape. So far I've bought more figures from Popcultcha because their NZ prices are cheaper than what's listed online (I always add to cart and calculate shipping because it's cheaper for NZ addresses because we pay shipping and Aussies get free shipping) and I prefer their rewards points system, but when the customs duty threshold becomes lower in October I'll start buying from Mohock instead. I won't touch MA with a ten foot pole for Hot Toys, their prices are beyond ridiculous.

No doubt! I bought a Gladiator Thor months after they were out of stock and prices on eBay were outrageous but a company in AU had a deluxe in stock. With the exchange rate and slow shipping, I basically paid retail if I were buying from SS who charges tax for us Californians plus SS’s outrageous shipping. Funny how I had zero interest in the figure until it was out of stock stateside but receiving Hela and Loki made GT a must.

Always best to shop around instead of just going straight to eBay.

LOL I've done that. At times PC has come through for me - in the sense 1) had product and 2) hopefully exchange rate at any given time is good for me. Ended up paying 10$ or so more for Civil War SW tho - still, I wouldn't have had her or 1/4 scale Iron Studios Falcon except for PC.

But sometimes I'm trying to save money and/or just don't get a fig on my radar till it's too late.:(

I'd seriously be all over the CM release if I were gonna buy a CM. Reminds me of the DS releases - fully loaded. I never trust HT to include head sculpts or accessories any more. Like why did some of the Civil War figs at least come with a little Antman and some didn't.:dunno

Back