Hot Toys: 1/4 Official Boba Fett Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an odd statement...

The figures are supposed to be replicas of the props. If they're true to the source, they're true to the source.

Well, having been inches away from 70 or so screen used costumes this afternoon, I'd say that there are many here who fail to realize just how many of these source costumes were essentially just glued together, or cobbled together from basically surplus and scrap metal. Or that there are many different variations of the Boba Fett helmet, each with a unique paint job, that it pretty hard to claim "accuracy" when Lucas didn't even care much from scene to scene in the movie. So, while I have enjoyed these movies from the time I was an 8 year old in 1977, and have been collecting SS and HT figures for a long time, I do admit to finding some arguments about "accuracy" in a toy amusing, when the propmasters themselves weren't all that concerned about it. Just my .02. The exhibition is worth the trip.

Well, having been inches away from 70 or so screen used costumes this afternoon, I'd say that there are many here who fail to realize just how many of these source costumes were essentially just glued together, or cobbled together from basically surplus and scrap metal. Or that there are many different variations of the Boba Fett helmet, each with a unique paint job, that it pretty hard to claim "accuracy" when Lucas didn't even care much from scene to scene in the movie. So, while I have enjoyed these movies from the time I was an 8 year old in 1977, and have been collecting SS and HT figures for a long time, I do admit to finding some arguments about "accuracy" in a toy amusing, when the propmasters themselves weren't all that concerned about it. Just my .02. The exhibition is worth the trip.

Yes, the costumes are cobbled together. What does that have to do with replicating them?

Yes, there are 6 differently-painted Boba Fett helmets. What does that have to do with painting this one in the way that it's being advertised as? Hot Toys knows this. Go and look at the 1/6 RotJ Fett pics (from Hot Toys). Extremely accurate.

Trust me, I'm with you, as far as the actual props rarely being perfect. But that doesn't change anything regarding replicating them.

When Master Replicas released their 1:1 helmet, they scanned an original helmet (the PP3). The eFX helmet actually molded the ESB Hero. The upcoming ANOVOS helmet is scanned from the ESB Hero. The Battlefront helmet (a video game!) was scanned from the ESB Hero. Considering all the things Hot Toys did right, why does the helmet look so bad?

View attachment 223533View attachment 223534

ESB movie still vs 1/4 Hot Toy.

Visor looks virtually identical. Perhaps the bottom line of the "T" is slightly concave vs convex between the two but the size and width look the same to me.

Try this scan instead (even though the ESB Hero differs drastically from the RotJ):

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-7734.jpg

View attachment 223533View attachment 223534

ESB movie still vs 1/4 Hot Toy.

Visor looks virtually identical. Perhaps the bottom line of the "T" is slightly concave vs convex between the two but the size and width look the same to me.

Absolutely does not. And it's squashed to look fat.

But there in lies the point. If you can't see the difference and are completely happy with the figure that's a good thing. Enjoy it, you have your perfect Fett.

Everyone has a different eye when it comes to accuracy.
:duff

Yes, the costumes are cobbled together. What does that have to do with replicating them?

Yes, there are 6 differently-painted Boba Fett helmets. What does that have to do with painting this one in the way that it's being advertised as? Hot Toys knows this. Go and look at the 1/6 RotJ Fett pics (from Hot Toys). Extremely accurate.

Trust me, I'm with you, as far as the actual props rarely being perfect. But that doesn't change anything regarding replicating them.

When Master Replicas released their 1:1 helmet, they scanned an original helmet (the PP3). The eFX helmet actually molded the ESB Hero. The upcoming ANOVOS helmet is scanned from the ESB Hero. The Battlefront helmet (a video game!) scanned the ESB Hero. Considering all the things Hot Toys did right, why does the helmet look so bad?

Well, because if Hot Toys released the ANH Stormtrooper and made it as "accurate" as the 1977 screen used one on display in the exhibition... I think most of us would actually go nuts.

Another for instance... the difference in the perceived detail and quality between Boba Fett and Jango Fett is high, especially when the two costumes are placed right next to each other in a display. That's likely a result of 15 years of prop technology, but in the toy forum, I think we'd all like for our Boba Fett to look as cool as our Jango Fett, even though Jango Fett is a much higher quality suit with far greater detail in real life.

As for the various Fett helmets, if the actual screen used ones are all painted differently (and they are), then how is any one of them more accurate than another? That this reduced scale toy version is a bit off from all of them doesn't bother me, if it does you, that's okay too.

I wouldn't compare accuracy between 1/1 scaled helmets and anything in reduced scale.

Well, because if Hot Toys released the ANH Stormtrooper and made it as "accurate" as the 1977 screen used one on display in the exhibition... I think most of us would actually go nuts.

Another for instance... the difference in the perceived detail and quality between Boba Fett and Jango Fett is high, especially when the two costumes are placed right next to each other in a display. That's likely a result of 15 years of prop technology, but in the toy forum, I think we'd all like for our Boba Fett to look as cool as our Jango Fett, even though Jango Fett is a much higher quality suit with far greater detail in real life.

Why are you mentioning Wango Bango Jango? He has nothing whatsoever to do with Boba Fett, at least in regards to the actual costume.

As for the various Fett helmets, if the actual screen used ones are all painted differently (and they are), then how is any one of them more accurate than another? That this reduced scale toy version is a bit off from all of them doesn't bother me, if it does you, that's okay too.

I wouldn't compare accuracy between 1/1 scaled helmets and anything in reduced scale.

Because this helmet doesn't match any of them in any way.

For all of the faults of the Sideshow 1/6 Boba Fett ESB, the accuracy of the damage was STUNNING. The accuracy of the painted weathering of the Sideshow 1/6 Boba Fett RotJ (prototype) is the same. This helmet doesn't match any of the 6 helmets, despite the fact that it's advertised as RotJ.

I don't want to go round and round with you on this (your opinion is just as valid as mine), so all I can do is quote Rory:

If you can't see the difference and are completely happy with the figure that's a good thing. Enjoy it, you have your perfect Fett.

Everyone has a different eye when it comes to accuracy.

:duff

I was explaining to you why I thought many of the "sticklers for accuracy" would be disappointed if SS and HT were actually producing toys that were 100% accurate. That occurred to me when I checked out the actual costumes today. There's actually better clean details on many of these toys, especially the ones that have come out lately, than on the real costumes.

I was explaining to you why I thought many of the "sticklers for accuracy" would be disappointed if SS and HT were actually producing toys that were 100% accurate. That occurred to me when I checked out the actual costumes today. There's actually better clean details on many of these toys, especially the ones that have come out lately, than on the real costumes.
Crazy post is crazy.

Clean details are great. Sculpts that bear little resemblance to the parts they're supposed to replicate are not.

Let's drop it, man. I'm glad you're enjoying your figure.

I think the problem lies in the extremity of language being used. "Travesty", "bears little resemblance", "doesn't match in any way".

If your opinion is that the inaccuracies bother you to the point of not being able to enjoy it, that's fine. You are allowed to be as bothered or not bothered by inconsistencies as you like. But there are objective elements here too. A small missing piece here. A visor line that is slightly too wide or concave. OK we can point those out and look at them and discuss how they make us feel. But the terms used like "not matching in any way" or "bears little resemblance" are trying to objectify the quantitative nature of what objectively, are minor incongruences. Again, major to your taste. But objectively minor because we can quantigy these things. If 95% of it is accurate and 5% inaccurate, that is more accurate than not.

I guess I'm far happier than you are. I realize I'm buying a scaled down toy, and I don't believe I'm buying a reduced size exact replica of anything. And with all these toys, all of them take some license and all of them have inaccuracies. These inaccuracies were simply even more apparent to me today, when I was able to view so many different screen used costumes.

Maybe HT simply preferred how they did it.

Also, video games have become multi-million dollar productions, and they still could have chosen to sculpt the thing how they wanted it. I'm sure HT could have also chosen to scan it, or just take creative license with it.

Idk man.

I think the problem lies in the extremity of language being used. "Travesty", "bears little resemblance", "doesn't match in any way".

If your opinion is that the inaccuracies bother you to the point of not being able to enjoy it, that's fine. You are allowed to be as bothered or not bothered by inconsistencies as you like. But there are objective elements here too. A small missing piece here. A visor line that is slightly too wide or concave. OK we can point those out and look at them and discuss how they make us feel. But the terms used like "not matching in any way" or "bears little resemblance" are trying to objectify the quantitative nature of what objectively, are minor incongruences. Again, major to your taste. But objectively minor because we can quantigy these things. If 95% of it is accurate and 5% inaccurate, that is more accurate than not.

I'm guessing that the majority of this is stemming from my mini-review. As I said there, for the casual fan, it's fine. I did try to make sure that when I was getting deep into Fett stuff, I wasn't aiming at the less-discerning fans. Yes, it is obviously MUCH more accurate than not.

The problem we have now is casual fans disputing the more hardcore fans.

Boba Fett is a very dividing character. There are Vader costumers, Stormtrooper costumers, etc., that can easily go into extreme detail on any of those respective figures.

You certainly have a strong point, so I'll just say it once again:

If you like it, great. I like it, very much!

But it doesn't change the fact that it bears little resemblance to the screen-used helmet (to the trained eye). There's just no argument that can dispute it. As far as figures go, it's awesome, and will, in all likelihood be the only Fett we ever get at this scale.

I guess I'm far happier than you are. I realize I'm buying a scaled down toy, and I don't believe I'm buying a reduced size exact replica of anything. And with all these toys, all of them take some license and all of them have inaccuracies. These inaccuracies were simply even more apparent to me today, when I was able to view so many different screen used costumes.

This is where you're all getting me wrong. I'm enjoying the hell out of this figure! I love it, I'm glad I bought it, I treasure it. It's not accurate in a lot of ways, but it is BLISSFULLY accurate in others.

Criticizing something doesn't mean that you hate it. Perhaps my review didn't make that clear.

I like Boba Fett.

Preeny has the last word and wins!!! :lol :hi5:

All kidding aside, really nice, quality and honest review, Rubio. And good points made on all fronts. I consider myself an "intermediate" level Fett fan, and as such, see where everyone's coming from.

All of the negativity has me regretting my purchase. :(:gah:

I'm a really big Star Wars fan, it's my #1 and always has been. So now that this visor thing has been pointed out and talked about for days, I can't even look at the thing without seeing how wrong it is.

I actually have zero interest in Boba Fett but love this figure. His design just allows for a lot of cool details you don't see from a lot of Star Wars characters.

I have since learned that I think the actual size of his in movie visor is incredibly dumb now, so there's that. Unless Bulloch actually took over for the original body actor of Boba Fett played by the City Wok guy from South Park.

Got this yesterday,and in hand, its perfect plain and simple. No other Fett item has captured his on screen presence like this figure, I couldn't be happier with him.

Back