Hot Toys: 1/4 Official Boba Fett Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROTJ SCREEN USED (from thedentedhelmet.com):
Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Archives-01.jpg

ROTJ HT PROTOTYPE:
PD1418628950b23.jpg

501st Clearance:
500px-BH_Boba_ROTJ_Full.jpg

FINAL PRODUCT:
stQsveV.jpg

QqOUz8A.jpg

I think we can all agree something went wrong in production. This color was definitely not intended, and it's definitely incorrect.

And again, beautiful paintjob, amazing figure. Just saying. Totally ruins ROTJ for me and is seemingly an avoidable misstep in production. The wrong color material was used. If they intended that color the prototype would have looked that way in the beginning and we could've raised a stink then and avoided this. But too late now apparently!

Perhaps my choice of saying "tan" was not the right way of describing it, and I know where you're going with that, the ROTJ flightsuit was actually allegedly the same flightsuit that was used to film in ESB, as well as parts of the armor, for the flightsuit they added in additional earth tones and other weathering for the ROTJ scenes. Over time the flightsuit also lost it's blue. Which from experience is exactly what happened to me, which you can see by my instagram link that I just recently redyed blue. I first had my suit dyed blue in 2008, and since then the blue gradually faded from use and trooping and eventually ended up looking like the ROTJ, just naturally. So yeah I whole heartedly agree with your angle, and the understanding of how it was done, however if we are talking screen accuracy, for an ROTJ version of Boba Fett that flightsuit is incorrect with all these things set aside. It is part of the look, just like the solid green cape and red gauntlets and specifically painted jetpack are all parts that make up ROTJ. From the photos I am seeing it looks to be a darkish almost blue flightsuit. Which maybe if I wait 10 years and display it in my livingroom it may fade to the correct color LOL. But as it stands for me, seeing how much the figure visibly displays an incorrect color.. it throws it off for me.

My flightsuit, which was initially blue... after years of wear naturally turned this color weird grey/tan color
View attachment 213538

My flightsuit after being redyed for ESB
View attachment 213539

Also I feel that non-blue light grey / tan colored flightsuit all around is what is accepted universally in the Fett community as the ROTJ version. It's what is suggested on the dented helmet forums and it's part of 501st clearance, so let's start with that. There should be no blue at all in that flightsuit.

:l

ROTJ SCREEN USED (from thedentedhelmet.com):
View attachment 213542

ROTJ HT PROTOTYPE:
View attachment 213540

501st Clearance:
View attachment 213543

FINAL PRODUCT:
stQsveV.jpg

QqOUz8A.jpg

I think we can all agree something went wrong in production. This color was definitely not intended, and it's definitely incorrect.

And again, beautiful paintjob, amazing figure. Just saying. Totally ruins ROTJ for me and is seemingly an avoidable misstep in production. The wrong color material was used. If they intended that color the prototype would have looked that way in the beginning and we could've raised a stink then and avoided this. But too late now apparently!

Some very good points, here, JC!

I agree that the flight suit has faded to a more gray than blue color, naturally. However, it's really not up for debate what color the flight suits were dyed, originally. They were all dyed with the same bath. Now, sure, it's possible that one particular suit was dyed a different color, but it's highly unlikely, especially since you've seen firsthand what can happen to dyed material over time.

It's also apparent that the dye used was blue-based, rather than black-based.

Three points:

1.) Which version of the suit has Hot Toys tried to recreate, here? The suit as it appeared on set in 1982 (or when it was created in 1978-79), or as it appears today? If we're going for on-set RotJ, bluish would be much more accurate. If we're recreating the suit 33 years later, gray would be more correct.

2.) I don't recall if you were part of the discussion a few pages back, but it's obvious that this figure is not intended to recreate ANY on-screen version, regardless of the fact that it is labeled RotJ. The helmet paintwork matches exactly ZERO of the screen-used helmets, and neither does the chest armor. So this is intended to be a more idealized version of Boba Fett. Hot Toys was not looking for screen accuracy, because if they were, they would have weathered the helmet and armor properly, and they wouldn't have included the ESB sidearm as a bonus piece (I maintain that an ESB-painted helmet would have been a MUCH better exclusive).

3.) Keep in mind the lighting that the figure has been photographed under. Here's an in-hand picture that looks much more gray than blue. So perhaps the suit is not as blue as it appears in some photos.

065c13b29b0b6c23667b0d0a0e941282.jpg

Yeah looks like crap. Cancelled. I think you nerds need to calm down. It's a toy and Boba Fett is a fictional, made up character. Display him any way you want, with or without the sidearm. The suit looks fine to me as I always assumed Boba Fett would have multiple suits. Use your imagination for chrissakes!

don't get me wrong.. it's a beautiful figure. Details are relentlessly gorgeous. But again.. and again.. and again and again and dammit again.. we have to say to ourselves with these figures at these prices with the talent on hand, why go so far out of your way to make such an incredibly detailed figure and then get something like the color of the flightsuit wrong? Shouldn't that be the easy part? It's just a color swatch of fabric, did it not get reviewed before it went into production? The flightsuit is incorrect.

This :lecture

And the ever-disturbing trend in recent years to screw up the T-Visor... Why is it so farking hard???????:slap

Yeah looks like crap. Cancelled. I think you nerds need to calm down. It's a toy and Boba Fett is a fictional, made up character. Display him any way you want, with or without the sidearm. The suit looks fine to me as I always assumed Boba Fett would have multiple suits. Use your imagination for chrissakes!

:lol:rotfl:lol

I think everyone should calm down. Both people who love it or hate it. Unfortunately no one is in the middle. Great figure, just not 100% accurate is the best description.

Natural human attitude to back up their buy saying it's all good and those who didn't purchase it can be a little be more "free" with their comments on the figure. Buyers of course want some sense of justification, and people who didn't buy it want justification for not buying it etc.

Someone is taking this hobby very seriously my lord.... Didn't know that Star Wars fans where that nic pick...

I consider myself a Star War fan but I don't look at little things with microscope as others it seems.

Someone is taking this hobby very seriously my lord.... Didn't know that Star Wars fans where that nic pick...

I consider myself a Star War fan but I don't look at little things with microscope as others it seems.

It's pretty corny....

"Kneepad is 1 centimeter higher than the actual Fett!, burn the figure!"

:eyeroll

It's pretty corny....

"Kneepad is 1 centimeter higher than the actual Fett!, burn the figure!"

:eyeroll

Star Wars attracts obsessive, detail oriented fans. I'm really easygoing about most characters but put a 1/6 stormtrooper helmet in front of me and I'll tell you if it's millimetres off-model. At the end of the day I can let it go and enjoy something stylized or "close-enough" ... but I can't un-see the things I know. :rotfl

And yes, it's ridiculous in terms of the big picture. I think it's important to maintain a sense of humour about these things. ;)

Seems like some folks have a tough time with people who have different collecting preferences. Live and let live. If you post here at all, you're also a nerd. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Seeing all JCFett's cool photos and amazingly accurate suit have actually helped me cancel this figure. I just can't live with that mask. It just looks like it's a weird version of BF and not the real one, the visor T gives the wrong expression completely.
I'm not a nitpicker with these things but that's a deal breaker for me. It takes away his sharp slightly sinister & mysterious edge.

Well I suffer from a rare eye disease at messes up my perceived colour spectrum.

It's called JAFOO

Just. Another, ****ed - up. Obsessive. Observer.

Sadly there is no cure...

Star Wars attracts obsessive, detail oriented fans. I'm really easygoing about most characters but put a 1/6 stormtrooper helmet in front of me and I'll tell you if it's millimetres off-model. At the end of the day I can let it go and enjoy something stylized or "close-enough" ... but I can't un-see the things I know. :rotfl

And yes, it's ridiculous in terms of the big picture. I think it's important to maintain a sense of humour about these things. ;)

:clap well said. but i'll be honest, i still get surprised and shocked that some people actually take the time to do grid layouts and sketch diagrams and or powerpoint presentations while trying to prove a point about whatever. i'm lazy as all hell, so to see people go to so much effort blows my mind. and its hilarious. hey, good times all around eh fellas.

People can nitpick and complain about inaccuracies all they want. The fact is that it is very unlikely there will be a better 1/4 scale Boba Fett anytime soon. Personally I think he looks great. Nothing about the figure makes me think "Oh no, they butchered Boba Fett. This has got to be some wannabe clone, right?" At the end of the day when you put this on your self and guests walk into the room, they probably aren't going to laugh at you for having a Boba Fett with a slightly off helmet or suit color. Most likely anyone would be impressed by this figure. That is unless they are detail snobs that insist every toy should be a 100% recreation of the character as seen in the movie. All of that being said, if you insist on having a 100% recreation, then you probably won't be happy with a lot of figures out there. I think those that bought this figure will still enjoy it a lot since it looks to be pretty amazing. Just be careful because I've heard that some of the smaller details on the gauntlets and such are kind of fragile.

Seeing all JCFett's cool photos and amazingly accurate suit have actually helped me cancel this figure. I just can't live with that mask. It just looks like it's a weird version of BF and not the real one, the visor T gives the wrong expression completely.
I'm not a nitpicker with these things but that's a deal breaker for me. It takes away his sharp slightly sinister & mysterious edge.

Exactly!!! Well said :clap

Seems like some folks have a tough time with people who have different collecting preferences. Live and let live. If you post here at all, you're also a nerd. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I wasn't being derogatory with the term nerd. I am aware that I am in Star Wars message board on a toy forum. But the fact remains, I never see anything but negativity coming from the "biggest fans".

Back