Hot Toys 1/4 Avengers Announcement!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the only 1/4 scale figure I'd buy from Hot Toys would be the Predator. I'll be happy with everything else in 1/6.

After the issues with Rogue, I am so ready to dump Sideshow, so this news couldn't have come at a better time. :wave

This what I am curious about:

How will this effect Sideshows PF 1/4 scale collector? :huh

Will this type of collector see this as a choice in their 1/4 scale collection or as something completely different because it is a figure? :huh

Take, for example, the SS Iron Man Mark 1 now in 1/4 scale, and the HT Iron Man Mark 1 in 1/6 scale. Remember the huge debate in what many felt was a more detailed HT 1/6? What would have happened back then if HT released a 1/4 scale of this IM? :huh

You already asked that question.

This what I am curious about:

How will this effect Sideshows PF 1/4 scale collector? :huh

Will this type of collector see this as a choice in their 1/4 scale collection or as something completely different because it is a figure? :huh

Take, for example, the SS Iron Man Mark 1 now in 1/4 scale, and the HT Iron Man Mark 1 in 1/6 scale. Remember the huge debate in what many felt was a more detailed HT 1/6? What would have happened back then if HT released a 1/4 scale of this IM? :huh

Where you looking for a different response than you received?

There is a possibility that this 1/4 line will have a detrimental effect on popular 1/6 collecting.

The traditional 1/6 scale hobby has been around for quite a long time now, way before all this marvel/DC/resident evil hype. Back then the hobby was very very different; it was all about military customization. Fans of 1/6 collected not because of cool licenses but rather because 1/6 is a scale that lent itself very well to customization since it permitted a good balance between detail and size and allowed hobbyists to build reasonably sized dioramas.

But with the arrival of Hot Toys and the subsequent acquisition of gaming/movie licenses, hot toys has brought the hobby into the more mainstream area of nerdom. This means that there are now more 1/6 collectors than ever before, but it also means that the profile of your average 1/6 hobbyist has also changed. For these newcomers, their purchases are motivated mainly by the coolness factor of a license/character/figure sculpt.

So, lots of folks these days who buy 1/6 hot toys aren't your traditional hardcore 1/6 militaria junkie. They aren't really collecting because of the scale & the customization heritage, but rather because of the license and the nerd coolness factor of character likeness. What this means is that when you offer something that is even cooler than 1/6 there is a chance that purchasing habits will change drastically. And let us face it; size matters when it comes to the wow factor.

Hot Toys is certainly testing the waters at the moment and they will certainly not be doing anything to jeopardize their winning 1/6 business model (at least for the time being). But if purchasing habits change, then you can be sure HotToys will move accordingly.

IMO, the hobby is at a cross roads. It is 50/50. What happens will depend on Hot Toys marketing strategy as well as what the customers ultimately want.

My suspicion is that most of your casual 1/6 fans will stop buying 1/6 and start saving funds for 1/4 figures of the most iconic characters. IN a way, it is a natural evolution of the hobby; instead of buying 5 to 6 figures a year, they'll look to downsize and choose quality over quantity.

Last edited:
There is a possibility that this 1/4 line will have a detrimental effect on popular 1/6 collecting.

The traditional 1/6 scale hobby has been around for quite a long time now, way before all this marvel/DC/resident evil hype. Back then the hobby was very very different; it was all about military customization. Fans of 1/6 collected not because of cool licenses but rather because 1/6 is a scale that lent itself very well to customization since it permitted a good balance between detail and size and allowed hobbyists to build reasonably sized dioramas.

But with the arrival of Hot Toys and the subsequent acquisition of gaming/movie licenses, hot toys has brought the hobby into the more mainstream area of nerdom. This means that there are now more 1/6 collectors than ever before, but it also means that the profile of your average 1/6 hobbyist has also changed. For these newcomers, their purchases are motivated mainly by the coolness factor of a license/character/figure sculpt.

So, lots of folks these days who buy 1/6 hot toys aren't your traditional hardcore 1/6 militaria junkie. They aren't really collecting because of the scale & the customization heritage, but rather because of the license and the nerd coolness factor of character likeness. What this means is that when you offer something that is even cooler than 1/6 there is a chance that purchasing habits will change drastically. And let us face it; size matters when it comes to the wow factor.

Hot Toys is certainly testing the waters at the moment and they will certainly not be doing anything to jeopardize their winning 1/6 business model (at least for the time being). But if purchasing habits change, then you can be sure HotToys will move accordingly.

IMO, the hobby is at a cross roads. It is 50/50. What happens will depend on Hot Toys marketing strategy as well as what the customers ultimately want.

My suspicion is that most of your casual 1/6 fans will stop buying 1/6 and start saving funds for 1/4 figures of the most iconic characters. IN a way, it is a natural evolution of the hobby; instead of buying 5 to 6 figures a year, they'll look to downsize and choose quality over quantity.

Everything you say here is pretty well thought out, except that I don't see how that makes it likely that casual fans will switch over to 1/4 scale.

The big factor here isn't the "1/6 military tradition", I think. The more practical concerns of cost, shipping, and room for display will ensure that 1/6th scale remains strong.

I think the only 1/4 scale figure I'd buy from Hot Toys would be the Predator. I'll be happy with everything else in 1/6.

This and maybe a Terminator Endo, i don't see myself getting more than 2-3 1/4 figures in total

@willowcrow good post but if HT decide to go full 1/4 (which i doubt they will) it will inevitably push away groups of their customers who will only buy 1/6 or buy many 1/6 rather than a few 1/4

For it to be a practical replacement strategy the 1/4 figures need to sell very well, as in better than any 2 1/6 figures, and i don't see that happening.

.The big factor here isn't the "1/6 military tradition", I think. The more practical concerns of cost, shipping, and room for display will ensure that 1/6th scale remains strong.

True, i buy more Hot Toys than Statues as i can fit more in my home, they cost a bit less and have amazing quality, 1/4 figures will take up too much space to become a viable replacement for 1/6 IMO

Last edited:
Notice it says 1/4 Figurines, figurines to me suggests that they will be solid pieces not articulated figures like the 1/6 scale line.

A figurine is basically another way of saying statue.

Notice it says 1/4 Figurines, figurines to me suggests that they will be solid pieces not articulated figures like the 1/6 scale line.

Makes sense. Probably keeps the costs down a bit, too.

Though I've always used the word to describe a very small statue... Maybe that's just me though.

Do those of you with more knowledge of hot toys then myself, think their is a chance that they would start producing 1/4 scale statues??? I would die if this is indeed a possibility.

Its just poor English :D When they use words like "interestingness" and "upraising", their use of the word "figurine" doesn't necessary imply that it's a statue.

Its just poor English :D When they use words like "interestingness" and "upraising", their use of the word "figurine" doesn't necessary imply that it's a statue.

booo the more 1/4 scale statues the better, competition makes everyone better, just like Mccartney and Lennon :gah:

Notice it says 1/4 Figurines, figurines to me suggests that they will be solid pieces not articulated figures like the 1/6 scale line. A figurine is basically another way of saying statue.

They've been using Figurine for a while now.

IM2_MarkIV_PR6_1.jpg

hot-toys-iron-man-2-war-machine-figure-3.jpg

hottoys-ironman2-whiplash-banner.jpg

(included one huge one to show if you can't read the writing on the others)

It'll be as figurine as the rest of their figures. It has suggested you wrongly.

I think 1/6 will always be HT flagship scale for the company. It's like when they started doing some busts from Predator, Iron Man & a few others. There probably just testing the waters as another avenue to make more money. The problem with 1/4 there's only so much you can collect in that scale, thats unless your got loads of room in your house that is but I'm really looking forward to seeing what HT have to offer in this scale, especially being a big Batman fan. I'd love a 1/4 Pred 1 & 2 but other than that, I wouldn't buy much in that scale.

One thing that this company will have over SSC will be the fact it won't necessarily need a base. While the bases for the PF have been fantastic, they often take up more room than the piece itself. Knowing that you can simply stand this up, almost shoulder to shoulder with another piece will allow for more displays. I have shelves bordering my office, full of 1:6, I could never display a ton of PFs that way not without specific designs to do so, definitely not from something run of the mill from Home Depot. Whereas with these I could easily move a shelf down about eight inches and display a ton.

Back