Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is in an IKEA Besta ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470346786.022585.jpg

Here's mine: 2 year old ED-209 with no sign of rubber deterioration. Housed in custom-built display cabinet w/ sliding glass.

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

If you have cracks, use Mod Podge. Buy the matte version. Apply to the dome using a new hobby type paint brush. It will go on white but will dry clear. One or two coats will do. Be sure to keep an eye on the leg rubbers because those will start cracking too.

If you have cracks, use Mod Podge. Buy the matte version. Apply to the dome using a new hobby type paint brush. It will go on white but will dry clear. One or two coats will do. Be sure to keep an eye on the leg rubbers because those will start cracking too.

Thanks Rivera! Do you have a link or a specific brand I can search for on Amazon to get the right kind?

Don´t wanna spam, but since I know that many are sure to have second thoughts on MY solution of lubricants to counter the cracks on ED, here are fresh pics from today, it´s been 4 months since the last rub with the rubber care 'Liqui Moly' and what do you see:

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

Nothing, excellent condition. This stuff works.

Take care, people.

Last edited:
damn, my dome officially has began deteriorating

it's weird though cause I had it displayed on a shelf in the corner for a couple years with no signs of cracking whatsoever

then just a few weeks ago I moved the shelf to a different spot where sunlight hits it during the day

I can say now with reasonable certainty that it's sunlight causing the issue

Yup. Sun light is the devil w anything that you don't want to get damaged over time. Avoid your collectibles in direct sunlight at all costs.

damn, my dome officially has began deteriorating

it's weird though cause I had it displayed on a shelf in the corner for a couple years with no signs of cracking whatsoever

then just a few weeks ago I moved the shelf to a different spot where sunlight hits it during the day

I can say now with reasonable certainty that it's sunlight causing the issue

Sunlight, generally spoken, is NOT the devil.

My first ED had no sunlight touching him and he cracked like hell. In 3 weeks he was bad.
That actually is my replacement from my topnotch seller and on this I preemptively hit him with rubber care and it was worth it...

Generally speaking, sunlight IS the devil when it comes to your collectibles... or anything else you don't want to potentially deteriorate.

Sunlight (ultraviolet radiation) will cause colors to fade, rubber to crack, moisture to dissipate, etc... generally everything you don't want your collectibles to do. Obviously exposure time and environment can dictate how much... but in general, avoid it if you can.

better scientific description from the brainiacs...
"Many natural and synthetic polymers are attacked by ultraviolet radiation, and products using these materials may crack or disintegrate if they are not UV-stable. The problem is known as UV degradation, and is a common problem in products exposed to sunlight. Many pigments and dyes can also be affected, and the problem known as phototendering can affect textiles such as curtains or drapes. Common synthetic polymers that can be attacked include polypropylene and LDPE, where tertiary carbon bonds in their chain structures are the centres of attack. Ultraviolet rays interact with these bonds to form free radicals, which then react further with oxygen in the atmosphere, producing carbonyl groups in the main chain. The exposed surfaces of products may then discolour and crack, and in extreme cases, complete product disintegration can occur.
In fibre products like rope used in outdoor applications, product life will be low because the outer fibres will be attacked first, and will easily be damaged by abrasion for example. Discolouration of the rope may also occur, thus giving an early warning of the problem.
Polymers which possess UV-absorbing groups such as aromatic rings may also be sensitive to UV degradation. Aramid fibres like Kevlar, for example, are highly UV-sensitive and must be protected from the deleterious effects of sunlight."

Back