Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well darn. Looks like I missed out on this great deal. I had already bought a bunch of stuff so I was trying to convince the wife to get me this as a x-mas gift. Finally talked her into it and now it's gone. Well, technically the status is "checking inventory", but it's probably gone. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll find a few more of some people will cancel before the day is up. If not, oh well. Heck, maybe it's a good thing I missed out - I don't think I have anywhere to put him anyway.

It would be hilarious if this figure becomes a grail down the road. Especially if you got it for $258.

Calling Mr. Serling, calling Mr. Serling.

TheTwilightZoneLogo.jpg

That's good to know about the grease not causing the figure to be slimy, thanks Lee.

No worries...always willing to help if I can.

Again, use it sparingly if that's the route you take. This stuff spreads...so only a dab or so is needed to work into the entire dome. I used a foam brush to apply it to the joints. Helped get the grease into the folds.

I ended up buying one again for $258 Friday. Just couldn't resist at that price. I may not keep it since I scored some other great stuff this weekend (wife is going to kill me) but I figured at worse I pocket reward points and sell it for around $300. Maybe I just try Modge Podge on it and keep it but I figured why not grab one regardless. Never thought it would sell out though.

I was so tempted to pick this up at $258, it was almost a steal at that price NSIB+RP etc. I talked myself out of it because even though it's out of scale to any 1/6, the thing is too large for me to display and store in general. It was a close call though lol.

Okay,
so i've got my ED since the 5th of may,
noticed the first cracks the 12th of july.
Yesterday I finally pulled the trigger with applying modge podge as a (temp) solution.

Pretty happy with the result for the time being, until someone offers replacment domes.

Before

After:

He is finally showable again ;o)

So it all came down to Hot Toys not applying a protective sealant on the rubber dome. Jesus. Well, I picked him up on Black Friday because the price was very reasonable and I'll definitely be applying the Mod Podge right away. Thank God somebody found a solution to the ED woes.

Which Mod Podge would you guys recommend, the aerosal spray or the brush-on lacquer? Seems like the spray would be easier to distribute a nice even coat.

Last edited:
I used the brush on modge podge ( i used glossy), poured some in a bowl.
then used the soft side of a washing sponge, to spread it across the dome.

So it all came down to Hot Toys not applying a protective sealant on the rubber dome. Jesus. Well, I picked him up on Black Friday because the price was very reasonable and I'll definitely be applying the Mod Podge right away. Thank God somebody found a solution to the ED woes.

Which Mod Podge would you guys recommend, the aerosal spray or the brush-on lacquer? Seems like the spray would be easier to distribute a nice even coat.

Mod Podge I guess should only be used if its starting to crack Honda lube should be used if it isn't, I think that's the rule of thumb.

If I read this correctly, Mod Podge is a water-based "glue" sealant. It says it has a tendency to yellow after a few years. My question is why wouldn't you just use a clearcoat acrylic sealer instead of the Mod Podge? It seals and protects paint so wouldn't that seal and protect the rubber after application and prevent it from cracking as well?

Finally got to opening mine. Dome is fresh. So Honda grease I guess? Mod Podge doesn't permanently seal it right, it will still crack?

567c8335cafb79b0bf4c56324db2a951.jpg

Finally got to opening mine. Dome is fresh. So Honda grease I guess? Mod Podge doesn't permanently seal it right, it will still crack?

567c8335cafb79b0bf4c56324db2a951.jpg

Mine arrives tonight so I've got the same question. I ordered matte Modge Podge from Amazon but now I'm seeing that's only to use if/when cracks begin?

I'm thinking of greasing it. I already have Modge Podge on it. Can i take off the Modge Podge with water?

How does the application of the Honda grease go again? I know someone used brush for mod podge, was the grease q-tips?

^ I don't think you can go from MP to grease or from grease to MP once you've already applied one or the other. You may be able to go from grease to MP if you removed all the grease prior to applying the MP, but I imagine that'd be a PITA to do. Also, I think if you tried removing the MP, you'd probably do more harm than good.

As for dw316 and BatBrain, I would advise applying whatever you're going to use prior to assembling the figure, since you'll have better access to the rubber pieces around the arms/leg and neck if the figure is not assembled. I used the Honda grease and used a paint brush to apply it to the rubber parts around the arms/legs/neck (helps you get in the cracks). I just used a microfiber cloth to apply it to the dome and to wipe away the excess.

^ I don't think you can go from MP to grease or from grease to MP once you've already applied one or the other. You may be able to go from grease to MP if you removed all the grease prior to applying the MP, but I imagine that'd be a PITA to do. Also, I think if you tried removing the MP, you'd probably do more harm than good.

As for dw316 and BatBrain, I would advise applying whatever you're going to use prior to assembling the figure, since you'll have better access to the rubber pieces around the arms/leg and neck if the figure is not assembled. I used the Honda grease and used a paint brush to apply it to the rubber parts around the arms/legs/neck (helps you get in the cracks). I just used a microfiber cloth to apply it to the dome and to wipe away the excess.

Advice taken, thanks mate :hi5: I will leave him unassembled in in the styrofoam for now, sealed.

Back