Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m extremely happy with this piece but I definitely hear ya, and it's all about the insane rate of inflation of the licensed sect of the hobby. Considering that the average human sized 1/6 figures are running $200-$315 now (DX's on the higher side) then it feels right that things like ED & Monger are priced the way they are. But then you look back and say, "jeez, these things are teetering Tumbler numbers!". Look at what we got with things like the DX11 & DX12 (only like a year and a half ago) for what they cost and compare that to what your $250-$275 gets you today. Stealth Cap & Falcon sure compare in price but not so much in "what's in the box" factor.

This is just the direction the hobby has been going. Around two years ago seemed like the sweet spot for buyers. The figures evolved to the next level where sculpts, likenesses, paint, outfits, etc. all were improving greatly and prices were still staying reasonable. Do I wish we were back where great pieces like original Spidey was $150, TFA Cap was $160 & DX Sparrow was $250? Of course!

I completely understand that the figures keep getting better and the product toady is leaps and bounds better than it was 4 years ago (the old ED compared to this 2.0 being a very good example). That’s why the hikes have been justifiable up until recently but it’s getting close to crossing the line of reason. Based on the current average retail prices I’m not overly miffed at ED’s price (however I do think that EVERYTHING is overpriced by $15-$30 so this would’ve been nicer at $399 shipped) and I’m very happy with it. But I will say that if this keeps up and next year sets comparable to say… TWS line are all up $20-$30 a pop and a piece like ED or Monger is up $50+, I’m quitting this hobby on principle alone

Good thoughts- each individual has his/her pricing limits. I'd say I have been OK with higher prices however I now buy less HT figures than in the past because of higher prices. Instead of getting anything that caught my eye I have to be very selective.
That being said ED 209 to me is worth every bit of $400- the amazing detailing and great articulation does not short change you in a gigantic size figure.

No I usually get stuff pretty early. It's just this. I don't know why I bothered preordering, there's no need anymore. But since I was preordering I chose a UK site and the UK retailers get stuff later than everywhere else seemingly.
i see. so everything's normal in common, it's not a postal problem )
Lol lol lol

Where do you live, p.?
my parcels are delivered by russianpost, their logistics allow them to waste 4-8 weeks for an abroad package.
still i already got all my EDs, while a-dev cannot get his first one, that's why i wondered how somebody could possibly have bigger problems with post.

Good thoughts- each individual has his/her pricing limits. I'd say I have been OK with higher prices however I now buy less HT figures than in the past because of higher prices. Instead of getting anything that caught my eye I have to be very selective.
That being said ED 209 to me is worth every bit of $400- the amazing detailing and great articulation does not short change you in a gigantic size figure.

Agreed on ED and agreed on slowing down. HT is really going to inflate the bubble till it bursts. The steady hikes will do nothing but change their consumer's behavior. They want and need the guy who just received 3 figs in the last 5 weeks and has 12 more on PO. The last thing they should be trying to do is turn that guy into a "selective collector"

Here are my pics featuring Anthrapoid's ED-209 decals.

IMG_1301 - Copy (2).JPG
IMG_1303 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1306 - Copy (3).JPG
IMG_1307 - Copy (2).JPG
IMG_1308 - Copy (2).JPG

NICE! A few little extra accents can go a long way.

Is the application a pain?

Wow, the Chronicles stuff is that much? I just heard about it all today and didn't get to read up on it yet. Aren't they statues?

those decals really change the quality. Anthrapoid made a great work.

I agree, the decals make a difference.

Okay, so my friend gets these and gives me a discount plus no tax or shipping if I pick things up with cash. I finally made it over to his warehouse to pick up my ED. There's not much to say that hasn't already been said, so I'll just hit some highlights.

The rubber dome does feel different, less velvety. Being that it feels different, I am moderately confident it won't crack, but this is Hot Toys, so how knows.

Overall, extremely happy with it. Better than my childhood dream for sure. Impressive size. Will look great next to RoboCop and either HT's or Chronicle's Cain. Haven't played the sounds, and never going to. It is cool though that I can feel the speaker slots behind the front of the rubber just about where I'd expect the sound of the real ED to come from.

Biggest disappointment is the that despite a full compliment of articulation, the range of motion in the ankles is very limited, which makes any true walking poses impossible. At best you get a decent staggered stance. Here is my best attempt to duplicate the Tippett replica pose, and it's not even close. I've since changed it to a Kenny threatening stance (not pictured).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Simply for the fact that I'd like a screen replica with a portrait of full walking mode, I may still pick up the Tippett piece, but this piece doesn't suck, especially considering it's potentially 1/3 the price of the other.

Awesome pics!!! I think you were good in the replication, seems like the hips are a little stiffer on the ht version as well, tippett's seem to have more sway

I still think my ed 209 is almost like a movie model, not quite perfect, but close and fully pose able

Nathan, if you want a have yourself a head smack, pop some batteries in and listen to one cycle of the sound. Experience it. Then continue on with life and pretend it never happened.

Your right, you can't get a walking pose without staggering it. In the movie the black corrugated part where the legs connect stay perfectly horizontally level when he walks. To achieve a deeper walking pose with the figure you have to shift that area a lot

Nice pics :clap

NICE! A few little extra accents can go a long way.

Is the application a pain?

Wow, the Chronicles stuff is that much? I just heard about it all today and didn't get to read up on it yet. Aren't they statues?

No. Applying the decals was not hard at all. I had Anthrapoid hit the decal sheet with a clear coat of lacquer before he sent them so they were good to apply. A few minutes in water and placing them on with a toothpick or x-acto knife and you're good to go. You have to hit them with a shot of gloss lacquer and then after that dries a shot of dullcoat and then they are perfect. I may actually get out the Tamiya weathering pastels over the weekend and hit the ED with a little bit of grime and soot and silver to accent that used look. This ED-209 cost me about $450 when all things were said and done and that's with the decals and shipping. That's a $1000 cheaper than what Chronicle will be charging. If I was hardcore, I would get the Chronicle ED but I am not. This ED will suffice and so will the HT Robocop in a few months.

I agree, the decals make a difference.

Okay, so my friend gets these and gives me a discount plus no tax or shipping if I pick things up with cash. I finally made it over to his warehouse to pick up my ED. There's not much to say that hasn't already been said, so I'll just hit some highlights.

The rubber dome does feel different, less velvety. Being that it feels different, I am moderately confident it won't crack, but this is Hot Toys, so how knows.

Overall, extremely happy with it. Better than my childhood dream for sure. Impressive size. Will look great next to RoboCop and either HT's or Chronicle's Cain. Haven't played the sounds, and never going to. It is cool though that I can feel the speaker slots behind the front of the rubber just about where I'd expect the sound of the real ED to come from.

Biggest disappointment is the that despite a full compliment of articulation, the range of motion in the ankles is very limited, which makes any true walking poses impossible. At best you get a decent staggered stance. Here is my best attempt to duplicate the Tippett replica pose, and it's not even close. I've since changed it to a Kenny threatening stance (not pictured).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Simply for the fact that I'd like a screen replica with a portrait of full walking mode, I may still pick up the Tippett piece, but this piece doesn't suck, especially considering it's potentially 1/3 the price of the other.

Dude those walking poses were done with a specially designed puppet why did you think u would be able to do that with just a 1/6 figure?
I don't know what you mean by true walking poses either I've seen some pretty good ones here on the forum.

Dude those walking poses were done with a specially designed puppet why did you think u would be able to do that with just a 1/6 figure?
I don't know what you mean by true walking poses either I've seen some pretty good ones here on the forum.
>>>
I was really hoping the front toe would have a little more articulation to it, to maybe slide forward or backward and articulate a little higher to allow the leg to stand vertical like this.

0f4d865804c8.jpg
"here on the forum" (c)

Last edited:
I'm really happy and gratified that my decals are getting good reviews. Thanks guys!
It's nice to actually see them on someone else's ED, not just my own. Good pics, jrice.
I still have enough sets to go around, but I'm sure this will be the final page I have printed.

This figure is pricey, but I haven't heard a single Robo fan here complain about not being cool.

Are you a Robocop fan? If so, what's not cool about this ED????!!!

If you are not a Robo fan, why even buy this? It's like saying, I'm going to get General Zod (myself) when the movie meant nothing to me. Of course I'm going to find that figure to be boring as hell.

And how can you even recommend the Neca version when you don't have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am not robocop fan. but i bought it because i like the design of ed 209. also i remember my neighbor had a ED209 figure made by kenner back in the day. he gave it to me but he took it back (LOL, we were kids back then). and this figure just evoke memories in me.

i should say that this is as cool as it can get when it comes to ed 209, but i guess 400 dollars is to pricey for this (300 is about right). limited poseability and i just think of the opportunity cost. i mean i could have got 2 figures compared to this.

and you may think i am crazy but i used to see the old version of this in the store, and at that time, i didnt even have any desire to own this. and i was like BLOWN AWAY! thus i thought, man they came up with the new one, so this one will blow me away like before. but i dont know why, it just did not wow me.

i saw utube for neca version. yes, i know its not as big and as detailed as this. but its 60 dollars. so the price is 1/7 of this? value wise , it kicks the hot toys right in the nuts.

Back