Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

These photos are killing me! Aargh!

I have to say that I like how it looks better with the legs lower on the scaffold, or with one leg extended for a step forward. I think the proportions work best with it all the way down, imo.

I was on flex as well,and mine comes tomorrow. Always choose the 5th when you flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to do that on all my future orders.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just curious, why do you spray a gloss coat first?
Because dull coat is pretty fragile and easily wears off with handling. Dull coat can't contain nearly as much (if any) of the same hardener as gloss, or it wouldn't be matte. A high quality gloss lacquer, on the other hand, is tough as hell. The gloss lacquer will make the decal safe to handle and touch, pretty much forever. I use WATCO clear lacquer, and it's amazingly strong stuff. It sprays on just like any spray paint, and dries fast. Once fully dry, you can literally TRY to press a finger print into it, and it just won't happen. It's like a ultra-thin layer of glass over your decal. Then you apply some matte if appropriate. The gloss under coat also acts as a warning flag; if the decal area starts to look shiny, you'll know the dull top-coat has been handled often, so you can just spray it with matte again.

Last edited:
They do after. Weird how that works.

I get a UPS mychoice notice a day before SSC even bothers to send one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because dull coat is pretty fragile and easily wears off with handling. Dull coat can't contain nearly as much (if any) of the same hardener as gloss, or it wouldn't be matte. A high quality gloss lacquer, on the other hand, is tough as hell. The gloss lacquer will make the decal safe to handle and touch, pretty much forever. I use WATCO clear lacquer, and it's amazingly strong stuff. It sprays on just like any spray paint, and dries fast. Once fully dry, you can literally TRY to press a finger print into it, and it just won't happen. It's like a ultra-thin layer of glass over your decal. Then you apply some matte if appropriate. The gloss under coat also acts as a warning flag; if the decal area starts to look shiny, you'll know the dull top-coat has been handled often, so you can just spray it with matte again.

Is there a particular reason why you use lacquer versus an acrylic coat like Krylon's Crystal Clear or Mr. Hobby Top Coat?

Oh man... I was thinking I could let this one go, and then I started seeing everyone's pics. I wanted this so bad three years ago when there was only the old version available on Ebay. Might have to get this.

You forgot to mention that the reason matte paint is matte is because it has a "rough" surface, which can trap air between the pits and the decal, resulting in the dreaded "silvering". :)

You forgot to mention that the reason matte paint is matte is because it has a "rough" surface, which can trap air between the pits and the decal, resulting in the dreaded "silvering". :)
Quite true. It's also a very good idea to spray a coat of gloss UNDER the decals before applying them, to sandwich them between two layers of gloss lacquer. Even dense plastic is porous at the microscopic level, allowing oxygen to attack the decal from underneath, right through 'solid' plastic. The 'sandwich' technique blocks out all oxygen, thereby stopping the decals from yellowing over time. (just make sure the clear lacquer you're using won't yellow over time either. WATCO has that feature printed right on the label.)

By the way- My ED-209 arrives tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Mine's coming on Monday. That's the ONE thing I dislike about ordering from Sideshow. Takes for freaking ever to be delivered. I'm too spoiled by amazon prime.

Do you use ups with sideshow? Typically I'd get shipment notice on a Tuesday.. And delivery date the following Monday. From tracking I could see it arrived in town Friday and then sat all weekend. Switched to fedex to try and since they deliver quicker in my area.. Ended up getting my treats before the weekend!

Back